Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have heard Richmond have locked into Lalor at 1.

Expectation in player manager circles that the top 4 is basically locked to:

1. Richmond - Lalor
2. NMFC - Fos
3. WC - Jagga
4. Adelaide - Draper
Without knowing too much, Lalor seems like such a risk, especially when Smith seems like an utter certainty to be midfield gun.

For those in the know, could you explain to me how Lalor has leap-frogged over others at this later stage?

Have heard Richmond have locked into Lalor at 1.

Expectation in player manager circles that the top 4 is basically locked to:

1. Richmond - Lalor
2. NMFC - Fos
3. WC - Jagga
4. Adelaide - Draper
With both Draper and Smith being available you would bloody hope Finn’s injury history doesn’t haunt us….

Thats Smith you're thinking of. FOS is all point of difference, struggles with accumulation.
Smith is even more that archetype. People talk about explosiveness and a booming kick for FOS but I just don't see it.

FOS is struggling with accumulation at the moment but that's the role I see him playing at AFL.

Edit: I watched him at the GWV v Oakleigh final and they had him as BOG for Oakleigh but I just didn't see it. Lots of bombs to no one inside 50s, a few attempted spikes/knock ons when he should have taken the ball that went to the opposition, and he got wrapped up almost every time he tried to get out of the contest.

Has a decent nous for marking but I thought it was far from a BOG game.

I think he'll be a decent player but just doesn't have the weapons I'd expect at pick 2.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing what others are in Armstrong from limited viewing. Nowhere near draft year Harry McKay, JUH or Walter imo.

Maybe need to dive deeper.
Shanahan is the KPF to target which I’ve been saying for months now

He has proven impact at vfl level also against the bigger bodies

That's a real good point. If they're holding two picks mid first round and they are salivating over the top 2 or 3, they will be thirsty for a trade of picks.
FOS + Smith would set up their midfield really well. I could see that playing out or even Lalor/Smith.

One player who hasn’t been spoken about on here is Langford. I would be interesting in knowing what people’s thoughts on him are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FOS + Smith would set up their midfield really well. I could see that playing out or even Lalor/Smith.

One player who hasn’t been spoken about on here is Langford. I would be interesting in knowing what people’s thoughts on him are.
Langford seems a bit too Ziebell for mine.

Slow, poor agility, suspect kicking. Not at all keen, I think he's starring because of his physical development and will get found out at AFL level.

Genuine question, not having a go either way - what don’t you like about FOS?

My question is:
Has he had one standout game in the last 12 months and were the injuries enough to impact his output as much as they did?

Last edited:
Shanahan is the KPF to target which I’ve been saying for months now

He has proven impact at vfl level also against the bigger bodies
OK. I'm with you. Shanahan very much looks the part.

Surprised he's 194cm. I'd have guessed 198-200cm from his footage.

Just saw Dyson Sharp in Williamstown and then again in the Carlton festival walking on the side. He was wearing SANFL shorts and a regular AFL black jacket kind of like a masters. Same hair and everything can’t be a clone plus the clothes is making it more convincing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back