Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The scenario I havenā€™t seen mentioned that makes some sense is 2 for saints pick 7 and their F1 ā€¦ then the rumor we are targeting Suns pick 6 for our F1 is a bit less risky.

Itā€™s all guesswork ā€¦
So turning 2024 pick 2 and letā€™s say 2025 pick 2 - 4 into 2024 picks 6, 7 and Saints F1? That's horrible weā€™d be much better off just keeping our picks.

So turning 2024 pick 2 and letā€™s say 2025 pick 2 - 4 into 2024 picks 6, 7 and Saints F1? That's horrible weā€™d be much better off just keeping our picks.
Itā€™s not horrible, because itā€™s not about the pick #, itā€™s about the players we select. Doing that deal would enable us to get the best KPB (Tauru) and the best (or second best) KPF (Armstrong/Shanahan) in a superdraft. Then weā€™d still get access to St Kildaā€™s first rounder next year where we could hopefully target a big-bodied mid/elite small forward to further establish our list build. With our list profile, we shouldnā€™t be looking to draft a mid this year with pick 2, so itā€™s not as valuable to us as a standard pick 2 normally is.

So what would you prefer to see us do? Luv to know your thoughts.
Your scenario with the crows trading their pick 4 and a future first for our pick 2, to me sounds good business, as I've said already I would ask the Saints for picks 7 and 8 for pick 2 and possibly throw in a third rounder. In my other post I said maybe a future 2nd rounder but if we are going to trade in a future first then pick 43 would be my go to, so this would be it in: picks 7 and 8
out: pick 2 and possibly 43
or if the saints want a certain someone bad enough {that elite midfielder} then the deal becomes the same -43.

We are in the drivers seat with pick 2, don't listen to the media, most of them have no idea, a couple do, but we will get offers for that pick, if we haven't already. The other thing is with this Dan Houston deal there are things and possible draft swaps already being discussed, what makes it harder for the supporters is we don't know our number #1 target, hell the opposition supporters have got no idea, some still think we are going to get Luke Trainor and some of the other boards has us taking the other midfielders, if we split, it narrows it down to who we might be taking, a lot.

Another scenario depending on the picks clubs get, is if the tigers end up having picks 6 and 10, I would do that deal, Richmond would love the first two picks in this draft, no waiting no guesswork and no getting leapfrogged by another team, if lets just say they can't decide between Finn and Sam, well they can have the both of them.

Iā€™d happily bid on him at 2. His pace combined with his tenacity will hold him good stead at AFL level. No surprises he is a competitive beast consider who his father is!
If the suns down trade picks with us - we should grow a pair n bid on him.

Your scenario with the crows trading their pick 4 and a future first for our pick 2, to me sounds good business, as I've said already I would ask the Saints for picks 7 and 8 for pick 2 and possibly throw in a third rounder. In my other post I said maybe a future 2nd rounder but if we are going to trade in a future first then pick 43 would be my go to, so this would be it in: picks 7 and 8
or if the saints want a certain someone bad enough {that elite midfielder} then the deal becomes the same -43.

We are in the drivers seat with pick 2, don't listen to the media, most of them have no idea, a couple do, but we will get offers for that pick, if we haven't already. The other thing is with this Dan Houston deal there are things and possible draft swaps already being discussed, what makes it harder for the supporters is we don't know our number #1 target, hell the opposition supporters have got no idea, some still think we are going to get Luke Trainor and some of the other boards has us taking the other midfielders, if we split, it narrows it down to who we might be taking, a lot.

Another scenario depending on the picks clubs get, is if the tigers end up having picks 6 and 10, I would do that deal, Richmond would love the first two picks in this draft, no waiting no guesswork and no getting leapfrogged by another team, if lets just say they can't decide between Finn and Sam, well they can have the both of them.
Sorry, but both of those trades seem so stacked in our favour, I canā€™t see the Crows or Saints even contemplating them. Especially since this draft is supposed to be so even.

Sorry, but both of those trades seem so stacked in our favour, I canā€™t see the Crows or Saints even contemplating them. Especially since this draft is supposed to be so even.

Whilst I rate your name, your inability to understand real value (ie: we're in the position of strength having #2 and they have literally a diminishing hand) bothers me. It is supposed to favour us. This constant search by some posters for equality in trading bothers me greatly. If we can't win occasionally, what do we really have!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes to a point, of course its stacked in our favour, but not by that much, this draft is very deep with talent but don't be confused with very good and elite, those top six players in my opinion are the cream, with the tigers taking the #1 draft pick that narrows it down to five elite midfielders and then after that you have a host of different players in different positions who are very good.

Its not that the whole draft is even, that's where I think people are getting confused.
Now whether one of those deals or another deal gets done I wouldn't be surprised at all, in the grand scheme of drafting its really not that big of a price to pay, if you want elite talent, for club recruiters it comes down to a choice.

Yep all solid propositions. I do like the idea of the Adelaide swap, almost guaranteeing Armstrongā€¦..dunno if we get their F1, could be F2+ or this years 2nd. Then if we could somehow do our F1 for 6 and get Tauru Iā€™d be doing backflips. Iā€™m less confident in that deal getting done. Too many others chasing 6 and clubs will pay plenty to get to that point.
Saints deal puts us just 3 picks back too far, IMO, as I know the Dees are pretty keen on Armstrong. I think Armstrong gets past all other clubs though and there will still be some midfield jets on the board for the Dees to consider. Same with your Richmond deal of 2 for 6+10, Dees the main danger I reckon. Think Tauru gone by 10 though, so be Travaglia or Trainor. My son is good mates with Luke and heā€™s a ripping kid, so be wrapt to get him, despite the concussion stuffā€¦ā€¦.i donā€™t believe itā€™s that bad, just junior clubs are crazy cautious these days, as clubs will most likely be too.
As Iā€™ve mentioned already, I really see this as Clarkoā€™s Buddy/Roughy draft, so engineering another top 10 pick could see us absolute cream this draft. Jordan Lewis type would be Langford, heā€™d go all right for us too IMO, but not at pick 2 if thatā€™s all we have. But in the top 10-12, boom!
Then depending on what he have left, I do like otherā€™s keenness on Berry or Hannaford. ā€¦ā€¦ Canā€™t quite see it, if Iā€™m honest, with Berry, but plenty rate him super high so Iā€™m in.
Then, if still holding another pick, or we can trade in to 2nd round, Gerryn does look like a great prospect/project, but I doubt we will be holding another pick, so Iā€™d also go with him at our current 2nd round. No way we give that up for Daniel.

No way in hell Crows do 2>4+F1.

Even 2, F2>4+F1 is in our favour.

Crows will be wanting to play finals, but could finish in the bottom 7 again.
Depends on how in love with Draper WC or us are. I believe WC will take Draper at 3. But 3 could also be on the move, s o gunna depend who holds 3 as things get moving. I actually have a feeling that only pick 1 and pick 5 wonā€™t change hands between now and Nov 24th or whatever.
Maybe saints keep 7+8, but they will, and need, to try and move up higher. They need a star. I just donā€™t want us to only be holding 7+8.
6+7+8 I could come around to, still reckon Iā€™d be nervous about the Dees at 5.

I think Harvey Langford is a good chance to be taken with your first pick
A bigger mid that can play forward
Dyl stephens
Colby M
Fisher all left footers pickup last year.
I think Clarko would be keen to keep bringing them in.
Langford at his size would give your midfield a more balanced look.
Langford would be good for you @13. He would be a long term replacement for your slow as treacle, can't defend midfield that you've spent 26 years building for a grand total of nothing. Appreciate your insight though, keep your inane ramblings coming, eventually you'll suggest something that'll fit the bill, I'm positive!

Depends on how in love with Draper WC or us are. I believe WC will take Draper at 3. But 3 could also be on the move, s o gunna depend who holds 3 as things get moving. I actually have a feeling that only pick 1 and pick 5 wonā€™t change hands between now and Nov 24th or whatever.
Maybe saints keep 7+8, but they will, and need, to try and move up higher. They need a star. I just donā€™t want us to only be holding 7+8.
6+7+8 I could come around to, still reckon Iā€™d be nervous about the Dees at 5.
Now I see, because 7 and 8 would be great but you think Melbourne will take Harry at their pick which would be pick 5, well if I'm wrong on that point then the question will be, is Harry our first pick, because if he is and we have intel that Melbourne will take him then we have a choice to make, take him at pick 2 or take the picks 7 and 8, to be honest there is only one way this will end and that's Harry will be in a North jumper Wednesday night. Intel will be the key! šŸ”‘

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back