Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

btw eagles losing pick 3 for unders doesn't impact us negatively, thats just them being nuffies

if anything them trading that pick helps us as teams know the only top 4 pick up for grabs is ours now

so if you want Lalor, FOS,Jagga, Draper you need to target our pick

otherwise we are taking them and so are the clubs around us

Hypothetical: We rate Tauru as the best player and fit for us and are confident that he doesn’t go in the first half dozen picks. Richmond offers 6 and 18 for our pick two. Do we:

a) hold firm, tell them we need ‘overs’, take Tauru at 2 and congratulate ourselves on not getting bent over at the trade table, or

b) do the trade, take Tauru at 6 and pick up another KP prospect (Faull? Trainor?) at 18

I know which outcome I’d rather.

I mean I could also create a hypothetical that reaches the logical conclusion that 6/18 is a bad trade

I mean I could also create a hypothetical that reaches the logical conclusion that 6/18 is a bad trade
That assumes Tauru isn't taken in the top 5 (if he was our preferred choice at 2 we would want to be confident).

The other alternative is we are happy with one of the six top prospects.
Yes, you’re both right, it was just a plausible scenario. My point is that you don’t necessarily have to ‘win the trade’ or ‘get overs’ to improve our overall position.

There’s lots of posturing on here that misses that point. The last club that regularly won the trade period has now gone twenty odd years without a finals win.

The players available at pick 2 - won’t be the same players available at picks 10,11,18.
It’s about quality not quantity

I disagree, the eveness of this draft could see players who are rated by some clubs in the top 5, fall as far as picks in the late teens.

A perfect example is someone like Murphy Reid there are clubs who have him rated in the top 6, while there are others who have him late teens.

For mine, at this stage of our rebuild it's about quantity. Particularly this year because of the talls available.

I disagree, the eveness of this draft could see players who are rated by some clubs in the top 5, fall as far as picks in the late teens.

A perfect example is someone like Murphy Reid there are clubs who have him rated in the top 6, while there are others who have him late teens.

For mine, at this stage of our rebuild it's about quantity. Particularly this year because of the talls available.

Can I get your expanded thoughts on Harry O'Farrell?

All the footage and limited highlights I’ve seen of him show a solid lad who has excellent defensive foundations. I really like the look of him as a prospect and was upset when we didn’t have a pick in the 25-35 range to use on him.

Probably why I'd take 6,18,20 for 2 and a F3.

We need more talent coming through the door. It's as simple as that for mine.

I would do that deal as well if it’s the best we can get. We cannot go to the draft with 2 and 62 with the holes in our list. Unless we can get back in with future picks, we need to get the best deal we can with Richmond.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can I get your expanded thoughts on Harry O'Farrell?

All the footage and limited highlights I’ve seen of him show a solid lad who has excellent defensive foundations. I really like the look of him as a prospect and was upset when we didn’t have a pick in the 25-35 range to use on him.

I’m still of the opinion that he should be in the top 30. Defensively he is still the best one on one defender in this draft. Pretty solid athletic profile, competitive, good hands, and has high footy IQ. Intercepting is the flavour of the month, and while he is more than capable of strong marking I seen him more dour lockdown key defender at AFL levelwhich is probably why he had slipped a bit.

As a bit of a talking point I thought I'd do some player comparisons for my top 30. Curious to see others thoughts as this sort of thing is very subjective.

PickNameHeightPositionClubPlays Like
1Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLachie Neale or Caleb Serong
2Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersAndrew Brayshaw or Nick Daicos
3Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideMore inside Chad Warner
4Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersIsaac Heeney
5Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyFaster and more agile Touk Miller
6Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysJack Ziebell with better running capacity & decision making
7Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsBigger bodied Jordan De Goey
8Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesLess Contested Patrick Cripps
9Jack Whitlock200cmKey ForwardMurray BushrangersBen King
10Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsLess dynamic Jeremy Cameron
11Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerCharlie Curnow Forward - Harry Himmelberg Defence
12Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsLuke Ryan or Jordan Ridley
13Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLess contested Harry Sheezel
14Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersJesse Hogan
15Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersLess polished, better overhead Lachie Whitfield
16Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtDean Cox
17Kayle Gerreyn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthLess contested marking Tom Hawkins
18Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderJosh Dunkley midfield - Luke Ryan Defence
19Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerWill Day
20Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersDylan Moore
21Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersBen McKay defence - Brody Mihochek Forward
22Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsA combo of Nick Watson and Zac Bailey
23Jonty Faull195cmKey ForwardGWV RebelsJosh Treacy
24Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsConnor Rozee
25Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsBen Keays
26Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysKyle Langford Forward - Jack Ziebell Midfield
27Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsMore mobile Peter Wright
28Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoShai Bolton
29Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersJack Crisp
30Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsTom Barrass

Good effort roos_fanatic2018, will post my phantom later today with a few smokes thrown in.

Look at the Eagles trade, it'll be 6 and 20 ay best id gather.

That would STILL suit us if i am honest. No one is getting overs, no one even offered overs for JHF or Reid in those drafts
Eagles trade included Baker and Owies as well. Can't compare it. If you want to compare, the 2022 trade for pick 2 is about right. Pick 8 and 12.

Pick 2 DVI = 2517
Pick 8 & 12 = 2819

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger nuffies are adamant they are taking Lalor and FOS at 1 and 2 if you trade your picks. Personally, them passing on Jagga would be a huge mistake.

I think you guys should keep 2 and take one of Smith, FOS or Draper.

Question is what is better…

Jagga

Or

Tauru and Berry (for example)

Tiger nuffies are adamant they are taking Lalor and FOS at 1 and 2 if you trade your picks. Personally, them passing on Jagga would be a huge mistake.

I think you guys should keep 2 and take one of Smith, FOS or Draper.

Question is what is better…

Jagga

Or

Tauru and Berry (for example)
i think we take lalor/fos at 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back