Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

should we keep or split pick 2?

which player would you select with pick 2 if we keep it?

if we split our pick 2 for pick 6 & 10 who would you pick?

if we split our pick 2 for pick 6 & 18 who would you pick?

should we trade our F1 to get another early pick this year?

if we traded out our F2 and we got a pick in the 20-30 range, who would you pick?

who would you pick with pick 62?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Split if the deal is right

Tauru and any of Armstrong/Shanahan/Whitlock and M Reid (who I really like)

Tauru and any of Shanahan/Whitlock/Gerryn

Yes but only if it leads to getting another top ten pick

Same as above but maybe add Faull into the mix

No idea but I’d probably pick a Werribee mature aged player. We have enough youth

We wouldn't have thought this to be a good trade in previous years we've held a top 2 pick, so not sure why we should settle for it now.

Pick 2 is the prize. Letting Richmond get it without having to lose 10 or 11 would be an amazing result for them.

If they won't go higher than. 6/18 then hold onto 2 and see what futures might get instead.
Look we can pretend that we will get 6-10 for 2 but it will not happen. Zero chance.

Just like there was no way we were gonna get Caleb for a future 2nd/3rd

Just like we were never ever gonna get Luke Parker for a future 3rd.

The nature of this draft is there is no obvious pick 1 or 2. First 6 are very close.

2 in this draft isn’t worth what it has been in previous drafts. That’s just the way it is.

The amount of time spent debating in this threads on deals we will never get is insane.

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Tigers will be shooting for 2 in exchange for 2 for 6/24 we will shoot for 2 for 6/18.

Please accept this.

If we include next years first it will potentially open the door to 10/11.

Look we can pretend that we will get 6-10 for 2 but it will not happen. Zero chance.

The nature of this draft is there is no obvious pick 1 or 2. First 6 are very close.

2 in this draft isn’t worth what it has been in previous drafts. That’s just the way it is.

The amount of time spent debating in this threads on deals we will never get is insane.

Tigers will be shooting for 2 in exchange for 2 for 6/24 we will shoot for 2 for 6/18.

Please accept this.

Yea top 5 is even.

But it’s a level above the very even 6-25.

You want a premium midfielder, you pick them from 1-5. After that they are gone.

Just use pick 2 on the best mid. The piece that best completes our midfield rotation. After this whatever we are short on go hard for in trade free agency. Having 5-6 elite mids is something very few other club will have. It’s our 1 wood.
I disagree with this, as I think that constructing a more balanced list should be a higher priority for us right now. Having elite mids is Sydney’s 1 wood. They continue to come up short at the business end of the season, with their tall forward set up often cited as an Achilles heel.

Melbourne have had similar issues. They’ve had their most talented list in decades and yet it is argued that (with one GF appearance in this era) they perhaps haven’t capitalised adequately, partly due to a having a lack of quality tall forwards.

Port continue to go deep in finals, but their lack of key position depth continues to see them get found out in September. Freo spent the best part of a decade searching for a Pavlich replacement, the list goes on…

Some of these clubs have had multiple swings and misses when attempting to plug key position holes with trade and free agency options. We also don’t have the best track record when it comes to recruiting those types of players.

We’re a long way off contending, but I would rather focus on the pillars now and look to add another quality mid in the coming years, instead of doing things the other way around and running a greater risk of having some major structural deficiencies in our line up when we are trying to push for finals.

Yea top 5 is even.

But it’s a level above the very even 6-25.

You want a premium midfielder, you pick them from 1-5. After that they are gone.
Yup and every player in that 5 is a mid, our one strengthened position while tigers would prefer another mid at those picks. There is a reason Brady has said we wont slide past 6, he also understands this. Hes willing to forgo a mid to draft in a position of need.

If we did pick a mid i would take Smith he has proven himself all last year and not put a foot wrong this year. Has proven he can play at any level. Most importantly for me he hasnt had any of these injury clouds. Yeah yeah we are picking based on playing for 15 years but f*ck me if i have to deal with more players that come in and are injured i will spew up.

Draper is a close second for mine this guy oozes class and leadership and is a consummate professional. He has injury struggles as well but has actually shown grit and determination and pushes through to provide some very good games this year.

What exactly are all these FoS lovers seeing? His elite 15 possies a game? Hasnt fired a shot all YEAR. Thats a fact. Pass on him.

Lalor is the tricky one for me if we picked him i wouldnt be annoyed but i think he is definitely the riskiest bust option of the 4.

I’ve think I’ve changed my tune with splitting pick 2 (probably change 10 more times before draft

What about targeting a plastic franchise who have a bottomless bucket of picks like GWS’s 21 & 56 for our F2 & F3.

Keep 2 and get another jet, should be a potential gun KPF left at 21 and 56 could come into the 40’s with all the bids, so a slider could get through?..

Dunno.. so much to play out.

If we don’t split pick 2, I think something like that would be a realistic option.

Please accept this.

Pick 2 is still pick 2 in any draft. Even if the top 6 is roughly equal, clubs still have their preferences and they pay to get guaranteed access to their preferred player. Same as when Essendon gave us their F2 just to move up a couple of spots to draft Harrison Jones. We took Comben with our pick only a couple of picks later. You could argue that Jones and Comben as 18 year olds were rated similarly. But given that Essendon wanted Jones, they had to do that deal to make sure they got him.

Same thing will happen in this draft. Someone will either want pick 2 to get their player or the opposite will happen where a club misses on a player they wanted and will decide to give the pick to us in exchange for F1, for example. Or one of the academy clubs will give us their pick in the 30s they no longer need, for our F2.

Pick 2 is still pick 2 in any draft. Even if the top 6 is roughly equal, clubs still have their preferences and they pay to get guaranteed access to their preferred player. Same as when Essendon gave us their F2 just to move up a couple of spots to draft Harrison Jones. We took Comben with our pick only a couple of picks later. You could argue that Jones and Comben as 18 year olds were rated similarly. But given that Essendon wanted Jones, they had to do that deal to make sure they got him.

Same thing will happen in this draft. Someone will either want pick 2 to get their player or the opposite will happen where a club misses on a player they wanted and will decide to give the pick to us in exchange for F1, for example. Or one of the academy clubs will give us their pick in the 30s they no longer need, for our F2.
Do you think we will get a 6/10 deal?

Do you really think that Rawlings, Thursfield, Viney, Clarkson, and whoever else is involved is going to go “hang on, let’s see what Jon Ralph thinks we should do?”
Didn’t you see the war room during trade period they were all wearing rubber bracelets inscribed with WWJRD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think we will get a 6/10 deal?
No I don't. But we may get 6/18. My preference is to use future picks to get back into this draft, even if it's for a pick in the 30s and keep pick 2

I need to look into Draper more. My biggest aversion with him is being from SA for obvious reasons. From what I can tell he's a centre-man or nothing though and I think that limits his ability to bring value to us.

I don’t agree with your evaluation, but each to their own.

We really should move on from 1 young talented player leaving the club since Daniel Motlop 25 odd years ago. Pick best available regardless of where they’re from.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t disagree at all. And think we should. More so from a forward line perspective.

But you’ve seen how the club operates. Chom was the last KP they went moderately high for as a forward (maybe even the CCJ trade).

I just don’t think they have the confidence in them to miss out on almost a guarantee player in say Draper, FOS, Lalor, FOS or Langford and go for a KP or Trainor/ Tauru.

I can see them in trying to take Tauru or Trainor if they’re able to still take another mid in the top 10, however they get it done
Typically though the best key forwards do go high in the draft, and that's the price you gotta pay sometimes. The Logan McDonald one is interesting....as North have copped a lot of heat in taking Will Phil over him, but some might say the Swans overpaid for him at 5. Or have GWS overpaid for Cadman at 1, when Sheezel and Wardlaw were on the board. It's all so subjective to whoever the media want to pick on, and unfortunately it's more often than not the NFMC. I really don't know, but I suspect if we can split 2 for 6 and 10/11, we'll get either Tauru or Armstrong at 6. And will still get a good player at 11. The question for me, is could one of those be an A grader and will they be available at 6? I suspect the tigers have so much ammo, that the only reason they may want to trade for 2, is to take the BEST mid at 1, and the best key forward at 2, and then work through the rest. So if we want Armstrong perhaps best to just take him at 2. Or perhaps why we are into Tauru, as don't expect to get Armstrong if we split 2. Dunno but will be interesting.

Yep, or look at Essendons pick 28 & 31 for our F2 & F3. Would also provide us some more draft capital for trading 2 for more picks in the 10-25 range.
l want to se us trade our Future picks to get some picks under #20 if possible....and then keep our #2 if we can..

Typically though the best key forwards do go high in the draft, and that's the price you gotta pay sometimes. The Logan McDonald one is interesting....as North have copped a lot of heat in taking Will Phil over him, but some might say the Swans overpaid for him at 5. Or have GWS overpaid for Cadman at 1, when Sheezel and Wardlaw were on the board. It's all so subjective to whoever the media want to pick on, and unfortunately it's more often than not the NFMC. I really don't know, but I suspect if we can split 2 for 6 and 10/11, we'll get either Tauru or Armstrong at 6. And will still get a good player at 11. The question for me, is could one of those be an A grader and will they be available at 6? I suspect the tigers have so much ammo, that the only reason they may want to trade for 2, is to take the BEST mid at 1, and the best key forward at 2, and then work through the rest. So if we want Armstrong perhaps best to just take him at 2. Or perhaps why we are into Tauru, as don't expect to get Armstrong if we split 2. Dunno but will be interesting.

Richmond are not trading up to pick a tall at 2. They would just keep pick 6. They’re trading up to get the best 2 mids and will fill needs with their million other picks. Clubs reaching for talls at the high end of the draft has generally ended in a disaster.

Richmond are not trading up to pick a tall at 2. They would just keep pick 6. They’re trading up to get the best 2 mids and will fill needs with their million other picks. Clubs reaching for talls at the high end of the draft has generally ended in a disaster.

2023 Draft #3 Jed Walter
2022 Draft #1 Cadman
2021 Draft # 2 Sam Darcy
2020 Draft #1 JUH

See the pattern? You classify those as disasters Nutjob?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back