• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hotton with pick 11 for me. Think he becomes and out and out gun. Loves goals, can get plenty of the ball and great footy IQ. What’s not to like.

I also think we find a way to get a late 1st / early 2nd. It’s either Lindsay or Berry for me if they are still available.

Hotton and Berry/Lindsay make us that much better in the future and could impact next year imo

The more I look at Berry, the more I realise we have wrongly pigeon-holed him as a pure small forward. It's definitely where I see him long term in the afl, but I think he has the scope to play almost any position on the field. He has huge upside and IMO will be the most damaging player within our range. He has the agility and acceleration combo we need along with a massive workrate. He's a one touch player that can link the play through hands in and out of traffic. Could easily start his career on a half back flank before playing forward/mid. My only question mark is kicking on his right, but maybe he's just that fast/smart that he never gets forced into using it.

The more I look at Berry, the more I realise we have wrongly pigeon-holed him as a pure small forward. It's definitely where I see him long term in the afl, but I think he has the scope to play almost any position on the field. He has huge upside and IMO will be the most damaging player within our range. He has the agility and acceleration combo we need along with a massive workrate. He's a one touch player that can link the play through hands in and out of traffic. Could easily start his career on a half back flank before playing forward/mid. My only question mark is kicking on his right, but maybe he's just that fast/smart that he never gets forced into using it.

I did see one instance where he was forced to his right foot and without breaking stride was able to hit a neat 35m pass and looked quite natural in doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He can kick on it but doesnt really go to it too often. Not sure if it's a confidence thing or just backs his left in to get it done.

I've said for a while that I see him having scope to go on ball given his consistently elite pressure in traffic and his ability to manipulate the loose ball to his advantage, but he'll definitely start purely up forward imo.

He can kick on it but doesnt really go to it too often. Not sure if it's a confidence thing or just backs his left in to get it done.
My hunch is he is that far above the level that he never really needs to use his opposite. I think I remember Stevie J once said in an interview that good players kick well on their opposite, but great players don't need to.
I've said for a while that I see him having scope to go on ball given his consistently elite pressure in traffic and his ability to manipulate the loose ball to his advantage, but he'll definitely start purely up forward imo.
Definitely agree, but I think he has the IQ, vision, decision making and skill to play as an architect off half back similar to how Daicos/Sheezel/Colby started out. Not saying he's the same class as them, but he's a much more complete prospect than I originally gave him credit for.

Good call but would want to see his VO2 max testing results before assessing if he could potentially play a high half forward or Midfield role

Trying to figure out if this means we need to draft a... Daniher????

Brent Daniels what have u done to us 😭😭😭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Priority and traits

1. Fast mids. Nothing changes until we fix our midfield. We have recruited too much on possession numbers. That's good, we need to pick on that but also closing speed and tackling. Do they carry the ball? Do they get involved in running chains? Do they tackle well and often? Do they run down opposition players? Clean skills of course. Agility, pace, run and carry, two way run, closing speed and tackling as well as ball winning ability. We haven't been focusing on all these things in our recruiting and now it's time to get it right.

I'd love to see a Carlton team which often runs with the footy through the middle of the ground, gets back and forward quickly and is renowned for it's tackling and pressure. We have had good teams beaten a lot over the last two seasons. Sydney this season. Brisbane in the prelim last year. All we needed to do was to be able to tackle and run down our opponents to hold those 5 goal leads.

On the flip side, if we are quicker, we move the ball quicker, we are harder to play against which means teams don't have as much petrol in the tank to mount those big comebacks against us.

2. Forwards. One of the biggest issues with our forward line is the lack of strong overhead types as well as pace, closing speed and pressure. Because all our pockets and flanks are weak overhead we go to Charlie and Harry 90% of the time and Owies 10% (Estimated figures). The good small forwards are good overhead. Toby Green, Eddie Betts, Bobby Hill. Their teams kick to them because they can be trusted to do well in the air. Cottrell, Hollands, Fogarty, Motlop have no overhead game and that really hamstrings our forward line. Watching finals, teams go inside 50 and they go to nearly anyone. It's all about finding the lose man, the lead or the one on one. We can't do that because we don't have enough strong overhead players there. Brisbane's smaller forwards torched us in the air, prime example.

We looked so much better with Moir in the team who is strong overhead. He will add a point of difference if we can have at least 4 forwards who are good overhead next season. It really opens the forward line up and makes you less predictable. Let the big defenders crowd Curnow and McKay and others will take marks and kick goals.

Yes we need a few small forwards with ground level skills, smarts who have pace and chase and tackle well as well as having good skills so they are clean and finish well. But overhead in small forwards is super important.

Small forwards who also win the ball in areas of the ground they are playing. Example, half forwards who get more of it at half forward. Forward pockets who get to the drop of the ball a lot and either tackle or get hands on it. A lot of this is not measured in the stats. We don't have a need or want for half forwards who have to come way up the ground to get a touch but don't get it at home, we have enough of that.

Recruiting small forwards is a talent not too many recruiters have. It's why they often come from other clubs or late in the draft.

3. A full back. Is it Young or do we have to get one. We either need a CHB and Weitering stays at fullback or we need a fullback and Weitering goes to CHB. I'd like to see Young add some size and get stronger and see if he can really hold down the position. Otherwise we just go and find the player we need. Someone who can lock down but also intercept when his moment comes.

For us in recruiting. Types are important but so are traits. We have been drafting players with the wrong traits for too many years now and it's really put us in a difficult situation.

I haven't been a draft watcher, who are the youngsters with these traits?

I'm fairly happy to be drafting Ben Camporeale. He moves fairly well, is a nice size, wins plenty of the ball but he also tackles really well and quite prolifically. Has an outside game as well which are all traits needed in our side. He could just be the modern day inside midfielder we are looking for. It'll be interesting to see how he goes after becoming professional.

Lucas I am not so sure about. He seems to have a footy brain and he looks a lot like his old man so I am prepared to be patient. Would just like to see him a little cleaner with his disposal for an outside player.

Think you are around the make. Both boys will be good, consistent role players
Unless all the draft experts are wrong then I suspect we as a fan base need to temper our expectations on what we will get from the Campo boys.. Reality very few players drafted 30+ make it as AFL players.. The likely outcome is these boys will be on our list for 3-( years, will play less than 50 games before being delisted.

Unless all the draft experts are wrong then I suspect we as a fan base need to temper our expectations on what we will get from the Campo boys.. Reality very few players drafted 30+ make it as AFL players.. The likely outcome is these boys will be on our list for 3-( years, will play less than 50 games before being delisted.

I think they've slid because they haven't been playing much.... for some reason ;)

It's a difficult one to gauge just yet. From what I know/see, both boys are extremely dedicated, hard working and team oriented

Posted previously, that I don't think they are at the level of the Daicos boys, but see them better than the Brown boys

Either way, it does help to with list management strategies when you know you will lock in certain types

Last edited:
Josh Daicos was pick 57 in his draft year

Josh Daicos was pick 57 in his draft year

True, but to be fair... that post says "very few players drafted 30+ make it as AFL players"

Not zero...

Campos are sliding because we put them on ice though... I think Ben played something like 6 games and still tied 3 other players to win the McCallum Tomkins medal.

For context, I think two of the other winners played 16 or 17 games...

Hard to tell.

Josh Daicos wasn't highly rated as a junior - pick 57 in the draft.
Jase Burgoyne similar was pick 60
JSOS pick 50+

Being a father son probably does give you a (marginal) advantage in succeeding compared to someone plucked completely off the street. Hopefully in a professional environment with his twin beside him pushes them both to work harder and be successful.

Way too many variables though, like with any other draftees it will come down to development, work ethic, hunger and ability. Davey twins conversely haven't really hit any great heights.

Priority and traits

1. Fast mids. Nothing changes until we fix our midfield. We have recruited too much on possession numbers. That's good, we need to pick on that but also closing speed and tackling. Do they carry the ball? Do they get involved in running chains? Do they tackle well and often? Do they run down opposition players? Clean skills of course. Agility, pace, run and carry, two way run, closing speed and tackling as well as ball winning ability. We haven't been focusing on all these things in our recruiting and now it's time to get it right.

I'd love to see a Carlton team which often runs with the footy through the middle of the ground, gets back and forward quickly and is renowned for it's tackling and pressure. We have had good teams beaten a lot over the last two seasons. Sydney this season. Brisbane in the prelim last year. All we needed to do was to be able to tackle and run down our opponents to hold those 5 goal leads.

On the flip side, if we are quicker, we move the ball quicker, we are harder to play against which means teams don't have as much petrol in the tank to mount those big comebacks against us.

2. Forwards. One of the biggest issues with our forward line is the lack of strong overhead types as well as pace, closing speed and pressure. Because all our pockets and flanks are weak overhead we go to Charlie and Harry 90% of the time and Owies 10% (Estimated figures). The good small forwards are good overhead. Toby Green, Eddie Betts, Bobby Hill. Their teams kick to them because they can be trusted to do well in the air. Cottrell, Hollands, Fogarty, Motlop have no overhead game and that really hamstrings our forward line. Watching finals, teams go inside 50 and they go to nearly anyone. It's all about finding the lose man, the lead or the one on one. We can't do that because we don't have enough strong overhead players there. Brisbane's smaller forwards torched us in the air, prime example.

We looked so much better with Moir in the team who is strong overhead. He will add a point of difference if we can have at least 4 forwards who are good overhead next season. It really opens the forward line up and makes you less predictable. Let the big defenders crowd Curnow and McKay and others will take marks and kick goals.

Yes we need a few small forwards with ground level skills, smarts who have pace and chase and tackle well as well as having good skills so they are clean and finish well. But overhead in small forwards is super important.

Small forwards who also win the ball in areas of the ground they are playing. Example, half forwards who get more of it at half forward. Forward pockets who get to the drop of the ball a lot and either tackle or get hands on it. A lot of this is not measured in the stats. We don't have a need or want for half forwards who have to come way up the ground to get a touch but don't get it at home, we have enough of that.

Recruiting small forwards is a talent not too many recruiters have. It's why they often come from other clubs or late in the draft.

3. A full back. Is it Young or do we have to get one. We either need a CHB and Weitering stays at fullback or we need a fullback and Weitering goes to CHB. I'd like to see Young add some size and get stronger and see if he can really hold down the position. Otherwise we just go and find the player we need. Someone who can lock down but also intercept when his moment comes.

For us in recruiting. Types are important but so are traits. We have been drafting players with the wrong traits for too many years now and it's really put us in a difficult situation.

I haven't been a draft watcher, who are the youngsters with these traits?
Powerful goal-kicking mid ideally as well. Hard to find obviously, but players who can kick goals from the middle then rest forward and be just as dangerous there are the most valuable players in the game (and solve two issues with one hit) - Trac, Warner, Heeney, JDG.

We need to accept that our 23 requires significant change. Durds, Owies, Fog, Motlop, Kemp, Kennedy, Fantasia, Hewett, Cerra, Gov, Young, Doc - a bunch of these guys need replacing for team balance. My focus is smalls/mids. Think we can carry Young, just.

The finals have exposed how much we need to adjust/improve - players and system. Ideally we innovate rather than react, but conservatism is very Carlton.

Last edited:
Powerful goal-kicking mid ideally as well. Hard to find obviously, but players who can kick goals from the middle then rest forward and be just as dangerous there are the most valuable players in the game (and solve two issues with one hit) - Trac, Warner, Heeney, JDG.

Yep. And unfortunately an extremely low chance of finding them in the draft...

Carlton have not had goal kicking mids for a very long time... I believe it is the missing piece for us to finish top 4.

Elijah is the only one on our list that could become one imo... but there's a lot of work that he and the club need to put in for that...

The other possibility is if we rest Cripps forward more often, but I don't think that'll be happening for the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back