Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ray8182 which kids do you like in the first couple of rounds this year

I guess lve been looking at forward/midfielders mainly when thinking of Carlton. I want good ground ball players who add run and defensive pressure. Our forward half is a big issue for me.

At our pick, which could end up as 14, it seems like Lindsay, travaglia, Hotton and Berry are the main choices. Be interesting to see who’s still on the board for us.

lm pretty much on board with Hotton or Berry. Hotton is the real star factor player for mine. Berry more a safe pick. I think you would have to be in the know to decide if Hotton’s acl is likely to be an ongoing issue or not but l really like Hotton.

I don’t think you could go to far wrong with Lindsay or travaglia. I see Lindsay at afl level as either a half back or wing who might make the shift into midfield. He is a beautiful kick. Travaglia a half back with midfield potential. They both have very good endurance l believe.

The above is all pretty standard. We all probably have similar thoughts even if we might differ slightly.

The second round is interesting. I want another forward who can add run and possibly go into midfield. Based on that l look at the likes of dattoli and gross. I’m still unsure about them though. Is gross to vanilla. Is dattoli more of a midfield distributor rather than aggressive runner who takes ground and applies pressure. Moraes lm not convinced of at all. It’s difficult to put my finger on it but he doesn’t look like he’s got much core strength.

The key with these guys they must be good runners. There testing at draft camp with regards to repeat sprints and endurance needs to be very good. Not interested otherwise.
They need to have very good endurance so they can add run like in the Dylan Moore mould.

I really liked the look of hannaford though. Has that aggression, physicality and run. At around pick 30 would be very partial to taking him. Would like to see more of him though.

The above gives you idea where my mind is at. Just searching for players to add run and defensive pressure to the Carlton team. I’ve ignored the talls, which there are a lot of, or other players like cooper Hynes because l don’t think they are the right fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I guess lve been looking at forward/midfielders mainly when thinking of Carlton. I want good ground ball players who add run and defensive pressure. Our forward half is a big issue for me.

At our pick, which could end up as 14, it seems like Lindsay, travaglia, Hotton and Berry are the main choices. Be interesting to see who’s still on the board for us.

lm pretty much on board with Hotton or Berry. Hotton is the real star factor player for mine. Berry more a safe pick. I think you would have to be in the know to decide if Hotton’s acl is likely to be an ongoing issue or not but l really like Hotton.

I don’t think you could go to far wrong with Lindsay or travaglia. I see Lindsay at afl level as either a half back or wing who might make the shift into midfield. He is a beautiful kick. Travaglia a half back with midfield potential. They both have very good endurance l believe.

The above is all pretty standard. We all probably have similar thoughts even if we might differ slightly.

The second round is interesting. I want another forward who can add run and possibly go into midfield. Based on that l look at the likes of dattoli and gross. I’m still unsure about them though. Is gross to vanilla. Is dattoli more of a midfield distributor rather than aggressive runner who takes ground and applies pressure. Moraes lm not convinced of at all. It’s difficult to put my finger on it but he doesn’t look like he’s got much core strength.

The key with these guys they must be good runners. There testing at draft camp with regards to repeat sprints and endurance needs to be very good. Not interested otherwise.
They need to have very good endurance so they can add run like in the Dylan Moore mould.

I really liked the look of hannaford though. Has that aggression, physicality and run. At around pick 30 would be very partial to taking him. Would like to see more of him though.

The above gives you idea where my mind is at. Just searching for players to add run and defensive pressure to the Carlton team. I’ve ignored the talls, which there are a lot of, or other players like cooper Hynes because l don’t think they are the right fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Very good summary, hard to argue against any of those players

Ben is an above average mid prospect.

His outside run and positioning combined with his strong contested game make for a really solid package.

He lacks a conventional point of difference (explosiveness, kicking, agility) and this draft has a lot of strong mid prospects so he is slipping a little on draft boards.

I think he will be bid on before 30.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. And unfortunately an extremely low chance of finding them in the draft...

Carlton have not had goal kicking mids for a very long time... I believe it is the missing piece for us to finish top 4.

Elijah is the only one on our list that could become one imo... but there's a lot of work that he and the club need to put in for that...

The other possibility is if we rest Cripps forward more often, but I don't think that'll be happening for the next couple of years.
Goal kicking mods are generally players that can kick from outside 50m, none of ours have this range so rarely hit the scoreboard.

Goal kicking mods are generally players that can kick from outside 50m, none of ours have this range so rarely hit the scoreboard.

Goal kicking mids are mids that can pickup 20+disposals, 4+ clearances and a good goal/game average. Ability to kick them from outside 50 on the burst would be a bonus to that.

Aside from Cripps in 2022 where he kicked 20 goals and averaged about 28 disposals... we have to go back to Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs in 2011 iinm...

An Essendon poster on one of the draft boards has said we've committed to Lindsay that we'll take him if he's there at our pick with what appears to be some sort of ITK information re him... Interesting...

We'd better hope we have some serious trades up our sleeves to address the small forward crisis if we're going Houston + Lindsay. Kicking skills would be quite an improvement though.

An Essendon poster on one of the draft boards has said we've committed to Lindsay that we'll take him if he's there at our pick with what appears to be some sort of ITK information re him... Interesting...

We'd better hope we have some serious trades up our sleeves to address the small forward crisis if we're going Houston + Lindsay. Kicking skills would be quite an improvement though.

I'd take that combination

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lindsay would make no sense to me. He’s a goer but there are so many better choices at our pick.
Unless we are bringing him in to play down back then I don’t see it. We’ve already got plenty of wingers for the now and into the future.
He’s also a little fumbly and his kicking is a little overrated from what I’ve seen.
Wouldn’t be an inspired pick up, imo.

I've really liked him on profile and highlights, but took a bit of time to watch more footage of him the other day and thought he seemed to be a bit fumbly. Even in space, with no pressure, he would take 2 or more attempts to pick the ball up cleanly.

How do you see him on that front?

With ball in hand I love him, but I worry that with the way the game is trending on speed and pressure he may struggle to transition to the senior level.

There has been some games where he has looked average, a game at Willie comes to mind, but it's always a tough gig on the bay

One of his championship games similar, under the roof.

Then there are other outings where he is one touch and his vision and disposal is elite

Speed and agility will be interesting come draft combine, doesn't seem quick, but nor does Josh Kelly, and that glide is very similar

Has his main role been as a CBA mid?
Played mostly as a defender/mid, but can play in any arc

Most see him as a defender, where his IQ allows him to rack up touches at will

But, when played as a mid, his possession count remains high, winning first touch at a high ratio

If he drifts out of the top 10, think he is a steal

My first offerings on here bracketed Lindsay and Berry, with Lindsay top billing. A certain poster’s persistence has brought me around to Berry as a priority, but in fairness, there are other small forward options we could look at later in the draft. Hannaford has surfaced late with a change of roles and has that manic attack on the pill and genuine pace make him a genuine option. We have long been linked with Dattoli who probably goes a little later than Berry and may be there if we can add a second rounder through trades. I reiterate our own VFL listed Will White would be a decent value option as a small forward as a rookie pick.

Lindsay has no equal in this draft class for a pace, accumulation and precision option so I can definitely see the attraction to complement our current (and future) group of mids. Not beyond possibility he approaches Gulden like levels. Disposal wise (Reid aside) Harrison Oliver would be the next best in the draft class and would be a weapon off half back.

I see the Houston attraction, he is a quality player. I would love to apply the pressure to Voss and his coaching group to develop our own players. We already have half back options, both mature and developing, we would be better served to find two or three offerings in the draft before matching Ben Campo and keeping our powder dry for 2025 than reaching for another high value, quick fix. Adding another $800k player just adds to that gulf on our list. We need wriggle room to be able to pay developing young players coming through, not be stymied by 6-8 massive contracts and be limited to cheap role players to make up the 22. It is not how you build and KEEP a competitive list.

I can live with Haynes as a mature option as long as we take an educated throw at the stumps for our next KPD. Then the draft is our friend.

I just look at Lindsay and wonder if he's that much better than Carroll that you'd want to spend pick 11 on him.

Carroll has shown he can dominate consistently in the VFL and it wouldn't take much more improvement (and support) for him to become a regular senior contributor. I don't think he's maxed out his development path yet.

Or is Lindsay a longer term replacement for Newman?

From limited viewing Lindsay looks to have good speed and agility, kicking skills, can win his own ball and the versatility to play mid, wing or hb. Looks a good fit for what we need to change our midfield and I like reading comparisons to Kelly and Gulden. He did a PCL so will probably miss the combine testing - anyone know whether he is express quick or just above average?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back