Opinion 2024 new player jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it a Clarkson thing that new players got higher numbers and had to earn the lower ones? Or has this been a Hawthorn thing for ages?

Definitely has the feeling of a Clarko rule.

tbf that's a relatively common thing among the league

I found it really odd that a few clubs gave higher numbers from the old wearer themselves at the draft. What if the kid hates that number and doesn’t want it? What if another player who has been at the club a few years wanted to put their hand up for it? Seems like they wanted the ‘moment’ for the media of it all but neglected to think it might not even be wanted by the kid being drafted.

I found it really odd that a few clubs gave higher numbers from the old wearer themselves at the draft. What if the kid hates that number and doesn’t want it? What if another player who has been at the club a few years wanted to put their hand up for it? Seems like they wanted the ‘moment’ for the media of it all but neglected to think it might not even be wanted by the kid being drafted.

I think it was just us and Geelong that did that. Don’t know about O’Sullivan but Harley Reid said ages ago that he wanted NicNat’s number 9.

The Wizard and Harley Reid talk about next year's preferred numbers before the draft.
The link should take you to the time stamp, but if not, it's at 23:38

Harley was on record saying he likes 4, 6, 9, which is probably why he got it.

The Wiz says he likes 1, 5, 7. He might not be so lucky straight away.

I think it was just us and Geelong that did that. Don’t know about O’Sullivan but Harley Reid said ages ago that he wanted NicNat’s number 9.

Yeah, was still weird for mine, less so given Harley’s comments, but just my random take. Plus your username is first rate so fair play all round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It annoys me that nobody has wanted to keep 44, i think its insulting to the rat to always offer those guys an upgrade. It's also strange how many players always want a low number. If I was drafted i'd ask for 95 and be the best 95 ever so you know all the kids with that number on the back is because of you not your predecessor.

It annoys me that nobody has wanted to keep 44, i think its insulting to the rat to always offer those guys an upgrade. It's also strange how many players always want a low number. If I was drafted i'd ask for 95 and be the best 95 ever so you know all the kids with that number on the back is because of you not your predecessor.
Shattered when Newk moved to 3 :huh:

In Dukes video on YouTube D’Ambrosio is sitting in front of locker 18 so it’s safe to assume he’ll be in the 18.
I wouldn't assume anything based on that. It was the first day in the office for him, he had to go somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024 new player jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back