Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The headline is a bit dramatic albeit I get people are disappointed given the start we had. That said it felt a bit unsustainable so I wasn’t entirely surprised they came back hard. I had this one pencilled in as a lose at the start of the season. Also we’re still second on the ladder. Probably not a bad loss to have if there is such a thing. Obviously the response next week is important, and I think we’ll get the response we want.

Last edited:
We have a defence issue when we have a strong leading forward in the opposition. Weitering is slow and even worse when he has a niggle. This forces Kemp to play on the power forwards. McGovern can't do it. I really feel sorry for Kemp, because he gives his all, often against the odds. He takes all the hits back there too.

Embarrassing to lose that after being 40 points up. Match committee truly baffling bringing Cottrell straight back in, especially when leaving Ollie Hollands in, whose been stinking it up for weeks
got a bit arrogant in match selection

Unless your name is Walsh or Cripps should be coming in through the VFL

Hewett was stiff to be dropped.

Definitely missed him tonight

They wanted it more in the second and third quarters.

We finally woke up in the last, but there was too much work to do.

This was the Geelong game all over again.

I suppose Cotts will be better for the run, but I feel he could have had that run in the VFL.

Cunners and Motts both put their hands up in the VFL…

Annoyed, but hopefully this snaps them back into beast mode and we feast on the Bulldogs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being a professional football club and being unable to pick up on a few tactical changes and arrest a run of the mill anxiety attack.

Get serious.

Stop playing too many players with no match fitness and niggles so that 1 or 2 players copping a knock or getting pressured doesn't spill into this kind of performance.

Cottrell to the reserves, immediately.

It's good to have you back Jim

I thought we got spanked in the middle

Owies as sub was a head scratcher.
That was irrelevant, the issue was dropping Cottrell straight in and not taking a closer look at Kennedy and Cerra's fitness.

Motlop and Cuningham have put their hand up for the forward spot, and Carroll is there if we need to bring in a full time mid in addition to Hewett.

Bit of a wake up call that we aren’t the Harlem globetrotters.

Nothing handed to you in this game, need to make a few tweaks going forward.

Few things:

- Cottrell not good enough to come straight into the AFL after an injury layoff.

- Motlop will come in for Fantasia. His 4 goals v Richmond looks like an aberration.

- I think when we play TDK we can afford to play Kennedy and Hewett. TDK is like an extra midfielder.

- A 2nd proper defender might be a missing piece. Maybe bite the bullet and see if Marchy can offer that instead of Kemp.

Don’t win games by shutting off and being smashed off the park for 2 quarters, to then storm home for the last 10-15 mins. Geelong game had similar vibes and most of the game apart from Q4 had vibes of the Sydney game.

We have to be better and have to learn from this. They hurt us at stoppage after Q1 (11 goals from stoppage). Whatever they did to nullify our influence from the 1st qtr at stoppage worked wonders. Briggs got the better of TDK, after he wiped him in Q1. And as much as Kemp will be bagged, he got killed due to their really strong transition in Q2 and Q3. Hogan did wipe the floor with him though.

Cripps massive. Kennedy fantastic last quarter. Need to coming our breathing fire for next week, no excuses. We were poor for too long tonight.

Last edited:
14.5 to 3.2 in an effective half of footy is inexcusable

Don't deserve to win any games of footy with 2 quarters like that

Cripps immense
Great to see big H kicking as well as he is
TDK battled hard but got smashed I feel
Bam Bam good as usual

Team need an absolute rocket during the week. Crippa's 200th, there should be absolutely no excuse for not turning up

I said at half time we'll see if we are contenders or not.

Have to say we didnt look like it tonight , got some late goals but i didnt feel like it was a 2 goal game.

There were about a dozen players who had their worst games for the year. I guess we will see next couple of weeks if we can put this game behind us.

Oh well i guess it is over to the Tour.

I only have one person to blame...

gunslingr said:
Across some of our darker years I’ve driven up from Canberra to watch GWS hand us loss after huge loss (and then driven home afterwards) and over the years, across those + Swans games (and that one WCE game during covid), I’ve never seen the Blues win in Sydney.

I regret to inform you all I’ve decided to come up here again…

Just kidding gunslingr. I feel for ya mate!

We have a horrible record playing in Sydney :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back