Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This biggest disappointment from this game was the performance of Cerra and the selection of Cottrell.

Cerra has barely played a good game for us this year. I was opposed to him coming straight back after such a long lay off. Also it wasn’t like Hewett was in terrible form. He needs some tough love.

Also whilst I love Cottrell and think he is in our best side he shouldn’t come straight back in after 2 months out. Only Cripps, Walsh, Charlie, Harry, Weiters and Saad are good enough to get that treatment.

jess was on fire - maybe kemp could have done a bit better but the ball was coming into their f50 a lot and no weits for a while

what about gov? an experienced player and I dont think i saw him take 1 important mark.
Fair points to make. Not trying to pot Kempy. Just noting that I thought he had a poor night and has things to learn. He should be aiming to beat his opponent even if they’re high quality like Hogan. I believe he can do it and he should be held accountable to that standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were off mentally tonight.

We lost by two goals. Both Weitering and Williams gave up goals in the last 30 seconds of the first and third quarters with absolute howler turnovers under very little pressure. Those goals bookended a 15-2 run of goals for GWS (with the 2 basically comming in a 90 second burst of Cripps brilliance)

We just haven't been that team in a long time. I think we were due a bad game ‐ almost every teams has had one or two in and around the bye, and getting a game clear in second set us up to be mentally off.

I thought we were putrid for an hour of footy

Spanked in the middle of the ground, TDK was generally monstered, their mids were tougher for longer until the ball was released

You will not win games of footy when you allow clubs to move the ball with that speed

Tonight was an interesting learning curve for Kemp, but not sure why Weitering didn't line up on Hogan

I thought our role players were poor

Newman, Cripps, McKay, Kennedy our best

Hard one to swallow. Happy we fought out the game and the first quarter was good.

Feels like we got a bit arrogant with selection. Played a few underdone players in Cerra and Cotters both of which I don't believe are instant back in best 22 players. Owies who has been in form to sub and dropping Hewett who has been very good.

Didn't really change much to stop the tide Charlie was in no man's land but didn't get moved back. Kemp on Hogan was a big L and we seemed to persist.

Feels like we just got out coached when GWS changed it up after the first quarter.

We do seem fit and managed to run out the game well is the positive I guess.

O Hollands really needs to work on his tackling it's getting to be very frustrating.

TDK got monstered but also seemed to drop his head at times. Just need to compete.

Imagine being a professional football club and being unable to pick up on a few tactical changes and arrest a run of the mill anxiety attack.

Get serious.

Stop playing too many players with no match fitness and niggles so that 1 or 2 players copping a knock or getting pressured doesn't spill into this kind of performance.

Cottrell to the reserves, immediately.

100%. arrogant all weekend in approach.Again.
Ahead of ourselves

Disgusted with that. No excuse for the magnitude of the turnaround.

Contest, pressure, effort, intensity and mental maturity so far off a legitimate contending side. You just can’t play that poorly for two whole quarters.

Major steps back tonight. Fear it’ll make a material dent in our belief and confidence.

Back to being pretenders until they prove otherwise.

Seriously? Did you watch the game. Unlike some others, busted a gut and ran himself dead and was involved for 4 quarter.

100% but he’s been below par for a while now, still gets knocked off of the ball too easily and also doesn’t touch the ball enough nor is he damaging enough

Fair points to make. Not trying to pot Kempy. Just noting that I thought he had a poor night and has things to learn. He should be aiming to beat his opponent even if they’re high quality like Hogan. I believe he can do it and he should be held accountable to that standard.
The mark on top of acres in the 3rd? I have no idea what he was doing, didn’t even bother chasing hogan 😬

Teams generally don't win with that many less possessions. Our failure to simply get hold of the ball was one of the important differences. Were barely in a position to play chip chip chip, or decided not to.
It genuinely felt like we didn't have the ball in our hands in a controlled manner for a 35-40 minute period of the game. Was crazy to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back