Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Green a bull of a player…I’d like to see Cinn go to him.
Kennedy is too, I would also expect he will be on the ball and not half back, where Cincotta has been doing his work. Maybe he switches on him around the ground. I reckon Hewett or Kennedy go to him. Kennedy has been good one on one and Hewett has always been good there. Think we will match them well and take out their top few who are very good.

Boyd v Daniels
Weitering v Hogan
Newman v Greene
Saad v Bedford
Kemp v Riccardi
McGovern v Brown
Cowan v Gruzewski

DeKoning v Briggs
Cripps v Green
Walsh v Conliglio
Acres v Ward
Cerra v Callaghan
Hollands v Cumming

Cincotta v Whitfield
McKay v Himmelberg
Williams v Ash
Hollands v Aleer
Curnow v Buckley
Fogarty v Perryman
Owies v Idun

Hewett : O’Halloran* in?
Fantasia : Thomas
Motlop in? : McMullin

Pittonet : omitted
Kennedy : injured?

Kelly : injured

Yep, that's the way I see it too. GWS at their best bring whole field pressure and hunt with pace. Then they've got some great mids and dangerous forwards on the offence. I'd be surprised if this isn't a fight.

But I also think this type of game is exactly what we need. If we're switched on, we'll absorb their pressure, match it with our own and then capitalise on the periods where we're on top.

Interestingly enough, that's exactly how we beat them last time. This time we've got a better team on the park, plus our structure is more settled and we're playing in form. Only change in GWS favour is the home ground. I reckon we win but it will be a fight.
Wet conditions forecasting, will make the game a little tighter too imo

Wet conditions forecasting, will make the game a little tighter too imo
We seem to be a good wet weather team though, have no fear about playing in the wet.

Our turnover game is A+ standard right now and that's harder in the wet. But we know we can be a strong stoppage team and we are full of mature, big bodies that can grind other teams down.

I think you might be the only one here who is still asking this question.

Nup, I’m still wondering whether the MC prefer to have both Pitto and TDK play.

Not every game together but I wonder if they are clear on the beat structure.

Horses for courses and all that but maybe the MC believe there is a world where both play frequently together?

I think if the AFL ditched the sub and went with a 5 man bench we would jump at the chance to select them both , opposition and health permitting.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We seem to be a good wet weather team though, have no fear about playing in the wet.

Our turnover game is A+ standard right now and that's harder in the wet. But we know we can be a strong stoppage team and we are full of mature, big bodies that can grind other teams down.
We look to have gotten better in wet conditions over the last few seasons, there is now a significant difference between how poor we were in past years and now recently. definitely the class and depth of the list has a better all round skill improvement along with the evolution of the team in itself, feel way more confident and comfortable than ever no matter what the conditions are…

Nup, I’m still wondering whether the MC prefer to have both Pitto and TDK play.

Not every game together but I wonder if they are clear on the beat structure.

Horses for courses and all that but maybe the MC believe there is a world where both play frequently together?

I think if the AFL ditched the sub and went with a 5 man bench we would jump at the chance to select them both , opposition and health permitting.

It's been said a bit. The Pitto / TDK combo sees TDK disappear in terms of effectiveness as he isnt that great a fwd. But he is forced to play that role because Pitto is even worse fwd.

It's also been mentioned lots of time that Mckay can relieve pressure by having a run in the ruck and getting a kick.

Then there is the debate on having the extra runner for turnover game.

I know where I stand.

We will be having small but regular team rotations in the coming weeks.
I can see two rucks, different mid rotations, and possibly even a look at some guys many have already put a line through for 2024 in terms of senior opportunities.
Responsible management mode to kick in with a date in late September in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: McGovern, Weitering, Cowan
HB: Newman, Kemp, Saad
C: Boyd, Cripps, Acres
HF: E.Hollands, McKay, Cincotta
F: Owies, Curnow, Williams
R: TDK, Hewett, Walsh
IC: Kennedy, Fogarty, Cerra, Fantasia
Sub: Lord

New: Lord
Out: Pitto, O.Hollands
In: TDK, Lord

With Cincotta probably playing as a defensive forward, I'm finding hard to justify having all of Fantasia, Williams, Fogarty & Owies in the same side given that it'd be unlikely that more than 3 are likely to be on the park at any one time.

For now I have Boyd on a wing, but I doubt he's got the tank to go all day out there so I'd rotate him with Newman, Cincotta & Williams when required for the middle 5 minutes per quarter.

I'd rather Cotts found some touch and form in the magoos first before being considered for senior selection.

Really hard to decide between Pitto & Lord for the last spot. Lord's form in the VFL over the last two weeks is as good as anyones' so happy to give him a taste. Don't think young Ollie's form holds up well enough for AFL level at the minute. There are a lot of good players around him to feed off to get his hands on the ball and he's obviously not putting himself in the right positions atm.

As they say in the NBA, scheduled loss. We won’t win this.

Just need to hope none of our injuries are major and that everyone is fit and firing for September.

With an easy draw we should get top 2.
We'll lose a few of our remaining games, but I am not sure it will be this one.
GWS have been quite ordinary for a few months now

They are starting to get some media pressure, particularly in regards to their capacity to score. At some stage, they will bounce and get someone.

I don’t think it’s us though. Our Number 1 defence in the last six weeks will be too much for their slower midfield that lacks penetration.

Charlie due for a big one and no Taylor I assume.

I’ll weight in on the ruck issue: TDK plays solo relieved by Harry. Pitto is break glass and the best backup ruckman going around. Anything that erodes TDK’s influence needs to be mitigated against.

27 points as we take the foot off the gas or just do enough.

Pitto would be first ruck in at least half of the teams in the afl,great back up to have.

I'd be asking the odd question, how much would other teams (eg Geelong, Saints, Flogpies) actually put up for Pitto, notwithstanding the Club in this case has the whip hand!!!

It's been said a bit. The Pitto / TDK combo sees TDK disappear in terms of effectiveness as he isnt that great a fwd. But he is forced to play that role because Pitto is even worse fwd.

It's also been mentioned lots of time that Mckay can relieve pressure by having a run in the ruck and getting a kick.

Then there is the debate on having the extra runner for turnover game.

I know where I stand.

These comments are people having an opinion, fair enough but they are not comments made by the coaches, players or anyone else from the club, which was the point of my post.

We all have differing views on the best overall team and my own view which I haven’t yet mentioned is that there are times when TDK as sole ruck is the best option.

I am however not convinced that playing him as the sole ruck every week is the best strategy and whether we play Pitto instead of or along side TDK is a debate of the MC I would love to be privy to.

I think you might be the only one here who is still asking this question.
What makes you think that ?- why would you think you are thinking for (let alone speaking for) every person that reads the forum and or posts on the forum?

I think your comment is just a lame form of attempted bullying - by implying only one poster would be silly enough to suggest that is how Carlton coaches will choose which ruck or rucks to play in which games under whatever circumstances is a non-issue and not up for debate.

yeah nahhh I am not a buyer of that argument or thinking- especially when the coach has been public about his view on the ruck issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back