Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy were you at the ground…our defensive transition was a shambles…midfield hammered and forwards butchered set shots

Sydney would have beaten us by 80 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I was and don’t disagree. Defence I would cut down slack the other at it was coming in

Yes I was and don’t disagree. Defence I would cut down slack the other at it was coming in

Yes definitely re the amount of ball they had to deal with……but I’m talking about how poor we are at moving it out of defence either from a slow play or a kick in. We just couldn’t pick a way out

Yes definitely re the amount of ball they had to deal with……but I’m talking about how poor we are at moving it out of defence either from a slow play or a kick in. We just couldn’t pick a way out

I’ll have to watch replay but I felt we didn’t take game on, change angles and try and go through the middle. Pressure from Dogs made it hard

The 2 ruck idea just has to gtfo. Especially against a team whose ruckman is not crash and bash but is mobile and works up and down the ground.

Two weeks in a row the MC selections have been
Would be surprised if the MC double down next week rest Cripps and Walsh and bring in O’Keeffe and Mirkov…

Starting midfield of Pittonet, TDK, O’Keeffe and Mirkov :eekv1:

For all our issues I thought the Bulldogs came out with a clear plan, effort and a executed it well and yet only beat us by 2 goals
Best post of the night. They played well. They aren’t a bad side by any stretch. We weren’t terrible either. The competition is close. It doesn’t take much to end up on the wrong side of a result.

Anyone got any sound logic behind why why we picked Pittonet?

Does Pittonet destroy TDK at training or something?

Was this a Cripps special request for game 200?

I’m still just as confused as I was when the teams were announced.

I think we're trying to manage TDK. He's played one-out for some time now and I don't think that's sustainable heading in to finals. Imagine we'll see them both play for a few weeks, IMO.

For all our issues I thought the Bulldogs came out with a clear plan, effort and a executed it well and yet only beat us by 2 goals

Yep spot on. They came with a gameplan and executed it really well. Cut off our corridor use. Stopped our transition from the backline. Smashed us at stoppages. All clearly their game plan and they executed it very well.

Pitto isn't the issue.
We got slaughtered last week in mfield as well.
We made a prelim with 2 rucks.
Our non ruck Minutes when we play 1 ruck has been an issue all yr.
Pitto had 13 hitouts to advantage . Tdk 3 and English 3.
People keep saying We r too slow with him..I don't recall english running hin ragged..but I did see alot of our mids and small get whacked contiously on the spread..just like last week.
Stop deflecting with pitto and giving others outs.
Swans play with 3 tall forwards.
Lions as well.
Freo. Pies when fully fit. Port. Norton fit dogs do.
Crows when fully fit. Suns.
Ple TY of teams play with 3 tall forwards.
If we play with 1 ruck what happens if one of the talls get injured?
What if it was H charlie or tdk 2day instead of Williams.
Last week weiters was off what options did we have to replace him in game?
With 1 ruck an injury to a tall leaves us very Light in one area of the ground.
Last week tdk spent 22% of ame off ground and H 19%..so by time u add H ruck Minute we r playing charlie one out alot during a game.
Having SOS may alter my thinking. Maybe even Martin as he can play tall.
Maybe what we should be questioning is the mix bw the 2 rucks.
Id like to see us trial tdk do 70 % and pitto 30%.
How this works and how it effects rotations.
I do think the Spit isn't working.

Idt this would work as Pitt can't play as a forward. If he's in the 22 he has to be majority ruck. And Pitt was not the reason we lost today but the team just is a bit more balanced with the one ruck and two tall forwards imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idt this would work as Pitt can't play as a forward. If he's in the 22 he has to be majority ruck. And Pitt was not the reason we lost today but the team just is a bit more balanced with the one ruck and two tall forwards imo.
No its bench when he's not playing..thats why I said want 2c how it effects rotations

Yep spot on. They came with a gameplan and executed it really well. Cut off our corridor use. Stopped our transition from the backline. Smashed us at stoppages. All clearly their game plan and they executed it very well.

That is the issue, we are suppose to be the dominant team at the stoppages around the league. It has fell off the cliff in the past few games.

Pitto isn't there to get 25 possessions q5 Mark kick 2 goals.
If people don't get that our stoppages games has hurt us slot this,season ..we r nearly dead last in comp for scores from stoppages. Its 100% an issue for us..the non tdk minutes with 1 ruck hasn't worked in our favour at all either all season.
So the tdk 70% and pitto 30% to me is worth a trial..splitting 50 % 50 a no from me.
Voss is in on pitto at least having another look cause he well knows the non tdk mi uses may well cost us big tome in a tight final

Just dire. More than losing, it is the how and the selection and the tactics. With the choices they made today it points to them having a clump of good players but not much of a clue. They said we had layers, they said we had levers, they said we had levels. It is all a load of cods whallop!

When we went on a run because we had good players and 2/3 things worked for lesser role players we gave out the accolades....way too early. Today really showed a lot of limitations the MC dont know how to rectify. Within reason, Vossy and the MC are just along for the ride providing a bit of direction. Not much more than that. Today and last week really showed it. Vossy looking on from the sidelines...well, just looking and hoping is all i saw.
  • Every time the ball goes inside the opposition 50, I now go, it'll be a score. Almost every time.
  • Every time the ball went into open space I cringe as the opposition pick it up for a deep counter attack.
  • Ollie Hollands for weeks. fumble fumble fumble followed by getting smashed in physicality or falling over
  • Our midfielders fumbling when its their turn to win letting Doggies have our turn out of the centre. Where is the resilience!!! Walsh and Cerra look like shadows of themselves. Why so much panic from these guys!!
  • Our defenders can take marks, get metres gained on rebound kicks, get possessions but the one thing they are supposed to do, they cant...They cant stop goals. Calamity city. Imagine it, a group of 7 players cant stop a fly.
  • I dont understand Weitering monstering JUH early then letting him run up the wing and take multiple marks and building his confidence before eclipsing Weitering late. Instead Weitering runs fwd to 70 metres then turns then looks stupid as the ball goes over his head. WTF is Hamill doing!!!
  • Kemp is dragging down everyone with his calamity. It's rubbing off.
  • Ultimately we have 7 defenders who all want to receive if possible. A joke.
  • Pitto, a joke. Not in form at AFL level, makes us too slow. Killed us on the outside as we lacked the extra runner. Destroyed in the centre. TDK a non-existent non-needed third fwd target. TDK to disappear under this new structure. Voss, you are a deadset m...Even if Pitto came good, TDK would be rating a 3 or 4 out of ten as a fwd/ruck.
  • How quickly was it decided Kennedy over Hewett. Seriously a **** up. Hewett every time. I dont think they understand the sheer concentration and accountability he brings. Kennedy solely brings good vibes.
The margin belied the fact that the Doggies whipped us and ran down the clock. The Charlie talk is utter crap. It isnt about a player missing; it is about watching the clearances and transition, the running levels on the outside, and for Carlton specifically, one-on-one pack/groundball defending. We have witches hats and panic merchants back there.

The Cripps 200 was a time for this club to show what we have been waiting for. On top of that, A top 2 side hates losing two games back to back. We frauded it....Yes we have a chance but we have weaknesses they cant solve on a day so we we are strong contenders and frauds at the same time.

It is hard to take after 20 years of us being on the receiving end of important things. Cripps' 200 just another way the club let us down. The trust gained after Port away was only an illusion. Carlton are pissing me off. Not pissing me off with a loss, pissing me off with defensive panic and calamity and mental weakness.

Last edited:
Pitto isn't the issue.
Unless it's a bounce, Pittonet adds nothing to the team. Can't mark. Doesn't kick goals. Can't defend. He's not an AFL standard player and the idea that he and TDK can coexist in it same team needs to stop. He's a backup at best.

Pitto isn't the issue.

Pitto is 'an' issue.

Pitto doesnt warrant a spot at AFL level - forget the 2 rucks question or stoppage question or outside runner conversation. No marks, and 43% efficiency on disposal. That says the obvious. Most of his disposals results in the opposition running away with the ball. ******ed.

Pitto had zero impact on stoppage. And i mean this in his current AFL level form guide context. If he was showing it, I'd write something different.

No marks to relieve pressure. Zero.

Individually doesnt warrant a spot.

Then there is one less running player in the side; and then there is the debate that TDK becomes a zero impact forward player as he isnt required. So now we include two invisible slow players in our 23 each week. Fwd 50 pressure dies because we are carrying Charlie and TDK onfield plus they are one player down to start with.

Dire.

Two losses in a row isn't good but we will most likely still be 2nd at the end of the round. We're in a great position.

With regards to the team selection it also hasn't been great but all the talk about arrogance and ego is over the top. Clearly they are trying a few things before they get into the last 4-6 rounds. I can't say I agree with many of what they are trying but better to do it now than in September. Voss isn't stubborn, he's not an idiot and he doesn't have "favourites".

Having said that Cottrell, who is a very good player, needs to find some form in the VFL.

As bad as the midfield has looked the last 2 games, and it's been really bad, I'm hopeful they will find their form in the coming weeks..... Well they better anyway.

Pitto isn't the issue.
We got slaughtered last week in mfield as well.
We made a prelim with 2 rucks.
Our non ruck Minutes when we play 1 ruck has been an issue all yr.
Pitto had 13 hitouts to advantage . Tdk 3 and English 3.
People keep saying We r too slow with him..I don't recall english running hin ragged..but I did see alot of our mids and small get whacked contiously on the spread..just like last week.
Stop deflecting with pitto and giving others outs.
Swans play with 3 tall forwards.
Lions as well.
Freo. Pies when fully fit. Port. Norton fit dogs do.
Crows when fully fit. Suns.
Ple TY of teams play with 3 tall forwards.
If we play with 1 ruck what happens if one of the talls get injured?
What if it was H charlie or tdk 2day instead of Williams.
Last week weiters was off what options did we have to replace him in game?
With 1 ruck an injury to a tall leaves us very Light in one area of the ground.
Last week tdk spent 22% of ame off ground and H 19%..so by time u add H ruck Minute we r playing charlie one out alot during a game.
Having SOS may alter my thinking. Maybe even Martin as he can play tall.
Maybe what we should be questioning is the mix bw the 2 rucks.
How this works and how it effects rotations.
I do think the Spit isn't working.

You can't play Pittonet 30% in the ruck. He can't play anywhere else. You're just giving up team rotations.

Collingwood manage with one tall target a lot. Essendon too. Hawthorn largely rely on their small forwards and midfielders.

Charlie is always double teamed anyway. Our game plan has to find free players. Owies can get free. Very few others can. I would have had Kennedy start and play forward when Harry pinch hits in the ruck.

Charlie is always double teamed anyway. Our game plan has to find free players. Owies can get free. Very few others can. I would have had Kennedy start and play forward when Harry pinch hits in the ruck.
I have always said Kennedy should be at the very minimum a 50/50 forward/mid. Not only does lead at the ball carrier, but he also has a nice set of hands and is a beautiful set shot. This also allows us to bring Hewett into the fold without having to run Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy CBAs at any point in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back