Preview 2024 Rd 18 Carlton vs Bevo's Bullies Saturday 13th July 4:35PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium - #CRIPPS200

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie a late out really narrows the gap between the two sides. Darcy, JUH, Bont in stints and English all have the capacity to stretch our backline. God forbid if Weitering doesn’t get up…

Forward line minus Charlie means we have one dominant KPF. TDK has shown good patches up forward but he’s not a FF. Dogs’ backline is still stretched but their undies will not be as filled if Charlie is out.

Midfield is key, so it’s their bread and butter v ours. As other posters have said, intent and pressure must be brought from opening bounce.

Having watched none of our VFL games, I'm assuming that what is keeping Motlop out is his natural lack of aerobic capacity at the moment. When he isn't 100% fit, he doesn't really cover much ground which would make him a liability defensively.

Maybe they want him to continue to increase his running ability in the reserves before he gets a call up.

Imo even if we just had H up front we could get the job done. Their defense is quite weak atm so not overly fussed if Charlie is a late out.

As always it’s the midfield that needs to fire and I believe they will.
l would expect Curnow & Weitering to play, Bulldogs can be dangerous on their day, so would not take this game for granted.
We play North the following week, better to manage any players that game.

l would expect Curnow & Weitering to play, Bulldogs can be dangerous on their day, so would not take this game for granted.
We play North the following week, better to manage any players that game.
actually seeing gov is out - March in to replace him or kemp and kemp plays govs role. So maybe weits stays in.

Although he played all game Curnow didn’t look 100%. If it was an ankle sprain and the fact he played out the game should mean he could play with some strapping perhaps.

Having watched last week's game again in the cold light of day, here are my gbatman-esque thoughts and some points we need to address for this week:

Our pressure dropped off Q2 and Q3 but they also had lots of luck while riskily picking through our setup after Q1. We didn't respond well to their increased pressure and unpredictability. Overall it was a real game of moments and we didn't seize ours when they presented.

I love them but our young role players lowered their colours at some critical points and they would know all about it. Trusting Cowan and O.Hollands to respond, but understand why so many want Ollie dropped to find form and I am not against it.

TDK was whipped in every way - physicality, speed, commitment (1%ers particularly - he got beaten by a finger nail time and again). He took many steps back in that game, after a strong recent run. I hope it's an anomaly and not a blueprint for how the opposition can neutralise him. Yes he's not a brute ruckman but he should be able to respond better to that kind of game. He's a competitive animal, so backing him in to steady the ship this week.

I'm going to be somewhat controversial (given he's one of our top scorers this year) and go on record that, when the chips are down Owies is a risk, and he shouldn't be in our finals 23. He was unable to stay composed in some late pivotal moments, and we've seen this movie before. e.g. the brain fade against Sydney in the final last year; kicking the ground instead of the ball while running into open goal earlier this year (against the Magpies I think? Or one of the other close losses). Hope he can steady himself and turn it around but I just don't think he has the talent ceiling and would rather Motlop (or better, Martin if fit) come back in.

Charlie had a shocker, he's definitely carrying something. Hating all the negativity and absurd calls to drop him though. He's in a rut but deserves every minute onfield to get back in form. Plus that bullet from outside 50 to hit up McKay in the goal square was chef's kiss

Our forwards need some of that sticky yellow substance the GWS runners kept giving out (esp. to Hogan) during drinks after their goals... they seemed to easily clunk some marks that would otherwise have spilled. More subtle than the Travis Cloke glove but surely just as questionable?

Fantasia continued to have no impact. Cotters will be better for the run but shouldn't hage been an auto-in. Kemp was flogged, it wasn't a fair fight though.

We need more out of almost everyone this week, but definitely not the captain. What a man.
The yellowish stuff they were handing out is called grippo - sticks like s*** to a blanket - our players do use it too, you see some of the boys have it on their jumper. Only problem is can affect your ball drop if you use too much & not all players like using it because of that.

Looking forward to seeing Marchbank in the side and Kemp playing the 3rd tall

Surprised Hewett hasn't been named, back issues or managing workloads?

Strong side again, bit stiĺ comes down to our intention and pressure like any side

We normally match up well, if we are switched on, us by 5 goals
I've been a believer in Marchie since day dot. Im sure he's going to give it his all and then some.

I don't think we will go outside our emergencies and pay a fine, so Motlop would be the one. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for Hewett however.
The problem with motlop or Hewitt as sub, as with a reason for not being selected in the first place is they both only have one spot they can play. Couldn't put motlop on the wing or in the centre. No tank. At least cunners covers a few spots.

The problem with motlop or Hewitt as sub, as with a reason for not being selected in the first place is they both only have one spot they can play. Couldn't put motlop on the wing or in the centre. No tank. At least cunners covers a few spots.
Although that's true I don't think it matters too much as we have versatile players in the 22. For instance let's just say Motlop is sub.
  • If a defender is subbed off - Cincotta or Williams can move from their forward role to defence and allow Motlop to slot in.
  • If a midfielder is subbed off - E.Hollands or Fogarty can increase their midfield minutes therefore accommodating Motlop in the forward line.
  • If a forward is subbed of - Motlop takes that spot
And you could do the same exercise with Hewett.

It's an interesting side. One forced change and a ruckman for a small forward.

So Fantasia is the only player to be held accountable for that abomination last week. It would make far more sense if Gov was dropped as he was awful in that game.

Cottrell named on the wing with Ollie on the bench is telling. Ollie might be sub.

TDK named at full forward suggests that Charlie may be a late scratching.

Sam Durdin as an emergency suggests that Weitering is not quite right yet and will be given until the last minute to prove his fitness.

I'm surprised that Fantasia got dropped, but Motlop isn't coming in. I guess Owies is his replacement however.

Obviously Hewett was dropped for balance last week, not form, as we held him over as an emergency. If he is left as the 24th man again, that's not fair on him.

"Held accountable" doesn't need to mean "dropped".

Said it before and will say it again, I think we're well past the days of reactive selection. A player having an off week doesn't mean their next game will be off as well. The coaches know this group can get it done, they'll adjust for forced changes and tweak the structure if they feel it necessary, but beyond that they'll expect the group who take the field to respond after a loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God bless Marchy, but it's so grim he is the next one up when a KPD gets injured. And what does Mots and Hewett need to do to get a game? I guess Ollie moving at snails pace down the wing and getting pinged holding the ball is more important...

Would love to be at Marvel tomorrow, but will not be. Have faith that the effort will be very strong for Crippas 200 and no

matter if someone like Charlie or Weits does not come up. Doggies at full strength are an okay team, no world beater's.

Now decimated with injuries, they are ripe for the picking.

Patrick, I have enormous respect for. Captain Courageous has lead from the front and has done it tough playing in poor

teams early on in his career. Now we are a real contender and it is great to see. God bless you Pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back