Preview 2024 Rd 18 Carlton vs Bevo's Bullies Saturday 13th July 4:35PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium - #CRIPPS200

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Fantasia omitted after playing his best game for the club? The selection committee are really hard to follow sometimes.
His 5 touches last week? His game against the tigers was good but you probably have to subtract a bit for the Tigers being on the bottom of the ladder and not much chop.

He was playing Cottrells role prior to last week. Last week he went back to a small forward role and didn't offer much. My guess is that they think that they can get more from Owies in the same role. Williams going O.K. probably currently means there is only one spot left for Motlop, Owies or Fantasia unless you make another one the sub.

His 5 touches last week? His game against the tigers was good but you probably have to subtract a bit for the Tigers being on the bottom of the ladder and not much chop.

He was playing Cottrells role prior to last week. Last week he went back to a small forward role and didn't offer much. My guess is that they think that they can get more from Owies in the same role. Williams going O.K. probably currently means there is only one spot left for Motlop, Owies or Fantasia unless you make another one the sub.
Exactly. Fantasia was always playing Cottrell's role. Would have probably been the one to go out for Cotters last week if it wasn't for his 4 goal performance against the Tigers making him undroppable.

I don't think either makes a lot of sense tbh
  • Hollands - endurance player so making him sub takes away his main strength
  • Kennedy - without Hewett would leave our midfield quite thin against a very strong Dogs midfield

I agree on both

But, can't see Elijah or Boyd as the sub and surely Owies wouldn't be on the pine again

A late change,

I agree on both

But, can't see Elijah or Boyd as the sub and surely Owies wouldn't be on the pine again

A late change,
Yeh maybe a late change and I think if it happens whoever comes in (Hewett or Motlop likely) become sub. If no late changes it is probably Ollie just because he is probably the 23rd man atm but like I said not really suited to the sub role

When you are bringing in pitto for fantasia who is doubling up with cotterell I don't think it swings balance to much remembering Owies started as sub last week..
I think if we had of been taller last week and the second ruck could of drop back in defence would of made a big difference -- at moment maybe Charlie needs help so can't spare Mackay and also can't afford to be dominated in the ruck around the ground when cripps resting. If no one gets injured easy to sub a ruck hopefully they bring in the five man bench next year.
Hope it all works out must trust the MC we won a lot of games last year with two ruck.

No. Their asset is clearance dominance. They struggle with every other part of the game
They are a very good clearance side but their run, carry and efficiency, especially by foot, is very good.
Players such as Dale, Richards, Bont, Vandermeer will carve us up on a fast track. Let's hope Cottrell can do one of the jobs on a wing, else his man will have a field day, ala previous games he has played that position.

Ollie or Kennedy the sub?
Kennedy miles in front of Ollie in terms of importance to the team as shown by his selection last week, when most expected he would be rested after his injury the week before - he won’t be sub.

Ollie’s output has been down for a while. I was surprised he wasn’t given a run in the VFL after the Richmond game where he only managed 1 kick and 6 handballs for the game. Probably the front runner for sub.

I was thinking fish and chips on the beach, at sunset, and a nice bottle of wine

I hope you're working on a playlist.

I'd be scared the Grammar Police are gonna book you.😉

I just read it while flicking through. Deep breath. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Ollie or Kennedy the sub?

With Hewett not selected, you'd think Kennedy is in the side. I'll need to check with Jimmae on that though.

Ollie is a reasonable sub. Maybe he and Cotters can play an average half each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Hewett not selected, you'd think Kennedy is in the side. I'll need to check with Jimmae on that though.

Ollie is a reasonable sub. Maybe he and Cotters can play an average half each.

If that's the side, I suspect Ollie will be the sub, but I don't see value in endurance players as the sub

Get the feeling we are more likely to see a late change

If that's the side, I suspect Ollie will be the sub, but I don't see value in endurance players as the sub

Get the feeling we are more likely to see a late change

The only late change that can produce a decent sub is Motlop in for someone. Can't be Owies again, we only have one pure midfielder on the bench, won't be Elijah and we need the 7th defender in Boyd. If Cuningham was in the mix, I'd suggest him.

The only late change that can produce a decent sub is Motlop in for someone. Can't be Owies again, we only have one pure midfielder on the bench, won't be Elijah and we need the 7th defender in Boyd. If Cuningham was in the mix, I'd suggest him.

If Charlie is a late out, then Motlop or Cuners as the sub makes sense

I don’t think it’s that simple.

Freo in WA wouldn’t hold any great fears for us.

3rd wouldn’t be a closed door.

IMHO!

Not saying it's impossible to win in Perth but in the form they're in right now we'd be a 10% chance against Freo. A loss there means we'd have to win 2 more just to make the granny - including 1 in Syd.

As opposed to finishing 2nd where we're highly likely to play a home final against an interstate team... which swings it to a 90% chance of winning.

Finish 2nd or bust.

If Charlie is a late out, then Motlop or Cuners as the sub makes sense

I don't think we will go outside our emergencies and pay a fine, so Motlop would be the one. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for Hewett however.

Personnel won't matter as much as intent and attitude. Need to bring it and not switch off.

And like last week, we are playing a team who has to win to not lose touch with the 8. They should be motivated, so we need to be too.

Having watched last week's game again in the cold light of day, here are my gbatman-esque thoughts and some points we need to address for this week:

Our pressure dropped off Q2 and Q3 but they also had lots of luck while riskily picking through our setup after Q1. We didn't respond well to their increased pressure and unpredictability. Overall it was a real game of moments and we didn't seize ours when they presented.

I love them but our young role players lowered their colours at some critical points and they would know all about it. Trusting Cowan and O.Hollands to respond, but understand why so many want Ollie dropped to find form and I am not against it.

TDK was whipped in every way - physicality, speed, commitment (1%ers particularly - he got beaten by a finger nail time and again). He took many steps back in that game, after a strong recent run. I hope it's an anomaly and not a blueprint for how the opposition can neutralise him. Yes he's not a brute ruckman but he should be able to respond better to that kind of game. He's a competitive animal, so backing him in to steady the ship this week.

I'm going to be somewhat controversial (given he's one of our top scorers this year) and go on record that, when the chips are down Owies is a risk, and he shouldn't be in our finals 23. He was unable to stay composed in some late pivotal moments, and we've seen this movie before. e.g. the brain fade against Sydney in the final last year; kicking the ground instead of the ball while running into open goal earlier this year (against the Magpies I think? Or one of the other close losses). Hope he can steady himself and turn it around but I just don't think he has the talent ceiling and would rather Motlop (or better, Martin if fit) come back in.

Charlie had a shocker, he's definitely carrying something. Hating all the negativity and absurd calls to drop him though. He's in a rut but deserves every minute onfield to get back in form. Plus that bullet from outside 50 to hit up McKay in the goal square was chef's kiss

Our forwards need some of that sticky yellow substance the GWS runners kept giving out (esp. to Hogan) during drinks after their goals... they seemed to easily clunk some marks that would otherwise have spilled. More subtle than the Travis Cloke glove but surely just as questionable?

Fantasia continued to have no impact. Cotters will be better for the run but shouldn't hage been an auto-in. Kemp was flogged, it wasn't a fair fight though.

We need more out of almost everyone this week, but definitely not the captain. What a man.

Having watched last week's game again in the cold light of day, here are my gbatman-esque thoughts and some points we need to address for this week:

Our pressure dropped off Q2 and Q3 but they also had lots of luck while riskily picking through our setup after Q1. We didn't respond well to their increased pressure and unpredictability. Overall it was a real game of moments and we didn't seize ours when they presented.

I love them but our young role players lowered their colours at some critical points and they would know all about it. Trusting Cowan and O.Hollands to respond, but understand why so many want Ollie dropped to find form and I am not against it.

TDK was whipped in every way - physicality, speed, commitment (1%ers particularly - he got beaten by a finger nail time and again). He took many steps back in that game, after a strong recent run. I hope it's an anomaly and not a blueprint for how the opposition can neutralise him. Yes he's not a brute ruckman but he should be able to respond better to that kind of game. He's a competitive animal, so backing him in to steady the ship this week.

I'm going to be somewhat controversial (given he's one of our top scorers this year) and go on record that, when the chips are down Owies is a risk, and he shouldn't be in our finals 23. He was unable to stay composed in some late pivotal moments, and we've seen this movie before. e.g. the brain fade against Sydney in the final last year; kicking the ground instead of the ball while running into open goal earlier this year (against the Magpies I think? Or one of the other close losses). Hope he can steady himself and turn it around but I just don't think he has the talent ceiling and would rather Motlop (or better, Martin if fit) come back in.

Charlie had a shocker, he's definitely carrying something. Hating all the negativity and absurd calls to drop him though. He's in a rut but deserves every minute onfield to get back in form. Plus that bullet from outside 50 to hit up McKay in the goal square was chef's kiss

Our forwards need some of that sticky yellow substance the GWS runners kept giving out (esp. to Hogan) during drinks after their goals... they seemed to easily clunk some marks that would otherwise have spilled. More subtle than the Travis Cloke glove but surely just as questionable?

Fantasia continued to have no impact. Cotters will be better for the run but shouldn't hage been an auto-in. Kemp was flogged, it wasn't a fair fight though.

We need more out of almost everyone this week, but definitely not the captain. What a man.

I really don't think anyone has any concerns about Charlie. He had a stinker. It happens. Sacred cow stuff.

I don't like our team selection at the moment.

Cunners and Mots have a lot more up side than a few who are keeping their spots and it just looks like playing favourites.

Pitto back makes absolutely no sense on any level.

TDK was the highest rated player in the comp for 4 weeks without him there. 1 down game and we throw pitto back in.

It's all feeling risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back