Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Take a break, try and fix some injuries, finish the season off with an eye on finals preparation.

We'll likely finish this round off around 6th on the ladder.

With our current form, we're anything but a certainty to even finish top 8.

We're playing with zero confidence, our inside 50 plan seems to be 'bomb it to charlie' and our get out of D50 plan is 'kick it long down the line'.

We're far too predictable.

Harry must've had some sort of a virus to not get up for such an important game? Covid,maybe?
Ive seen Crippa first hand playing with a cold/virus wiping his nose on his wrist tape,every other minute of the game.
Unless big H had Gastro an was running to the toilet every 2 minutes that wouldve been a tough ask.
Losing Harry probably cost us the game in the end.

MJ you do realise Kennedy and Cerra weren’t playing as midfielders last night which might explain why Kennedy (one of our best players) had 0 clearances and Cerra 1 clearance.

Trying to cover the loss of McKay with Kennedy takes away from our midfield contest.

Also no TDK reduces our clearance ability even more. The last time we played Port, TDK managed a team high 4 centre clearances (Walsh the next best with 2). Last night Pitto had 0 centre clearances.

The loss of Acres was not really well covered.

Bring in Harry, Acres and Boyd and play Kennedy and Cerra in their usual positions would make a huge difference to our team.
Do you realise Cerra has been playing like dog shit and walsh has lost a yard. We had the "Ins" you suggest did not beat GWS or the Bulldogs. Voss has squeezed this list but there is not enough juice in it to win a flag & primarily because the midfield has fallen off a cliff

Harry must've had some sort of a virus to not get up for such an important game? Covid,maybe?
Ive seen Crippa first hand playing with a cold/virus wiping his nose on his wrist tape,every other minute of the game.
Unless big H had Gastro an was running to the toilet every 2 minutes that wouldve been a tough ask.
Losing Harry probably cost us the game in the end.
He doesn't have a virus. 😉

I noticed this on TV and thought the same myself. The right play was obviously to block

I'm not sure if it's a symptom of a bigger issue, though, as later a player put a shepherd on for Weiters well in a situation. Though Weiters did call for the shepherd from 20m away, still, it was put on without hesitation.

At the ground I saw several similar incidents throughout the night - players would prioritize being an available outlet from a contest (ball is in dispute) rather than actually assisting in winning that contest. Could be coached that way - I don't know.

If you wanted to be harsh, you'd say the players were perhaps playing a bit selfish.

Less harsh would be to say they are just out-of-sync at the moment due to positional changes and lack of confidence.

Either way, hopefully we can clean it up in future weeks.

I’d still like to know why we offer players like Durdin & Cottrell two year extensions early in the season
Carroll can’t play. He has terrible awareness. He can never get out of trouble. He fumbles. He can’t kick. He’s slow. He’s physically weak. Running he is anywhere near an AFL side.

FFS a lot of melters here, wanting to burn the club to the ground.. still got four winnable games to go.. top two maybe a stretch but we should be playing finals.
Yeah, but we don't learn. For 4 weeks now we were supposedly going to turn it around or flick the switch. We have done none of that, on the contrary its got progressively worse.

It’s easy to be disappointed.

Four weeks ago I thought we were winning a flag. In my view, events have conspired against us. In the view of others, we’ve butchered our own prospects.

Whatever your conclusion, try to get some sun this weekend, spend time with your loved ones, and find ways to enjoy life.

Then be ready to buckle up again, as we hope our boys to have a good one vs the Pies next week.

Best wishes to everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll likely finish this round off around 6th on the ladder.

With our current form, we're anything but a certainty to even finish top 8.

We're playing with zero confidence, our inside 50 plan seems to be 'bomb it to charlie' and our get out of D50 plan is 'kick it long down the line'.

We're far too predictable.
I knew that Adelaide game would come back to haunt us.

Killed out of the centre and around the ball.

Harry out was too big
I think Acres was the bigger out. Last year we didn't need Harry to grind out and win games. But Acres is such a workhorse, we missed his defensive efforts immensely.

A bit more rest, rehabilitation and we’ll be cherry ripe, we’ll get some players back. The bye between the last round and the finals will be a blessing - I foresee a 2016 Western Bulldogs run we’ll win 4 finals in a row - some away from home.
agreed...we could have marchy martin and cunners cherry ripe going into finals :thumbsu:

Was selecting Cerra and Cottrell straight in for me...

I think it sent a negative message to the playing group...

Tried to fix something that wasn't broken.
100%....that game was the turning point...we've been crapola since....struggled to beat roos in 17th :shoutyoldman:

I think Acres was the bigger out. Last year we didn't need Harry to grind out and win games. But Acres is such a workhorse, we missed his defensive efforts immensely.
Yes, he is also a big part of our team.

I think not having Harry as an option either leading up the ground or going into the forward line really hurts.

I had a sleep and the pain is still here, annoying.

I wonder if Saad into the midfield is an option, adds a point of difference and speed into a one paced midfield unit.
Boyd can then cover Saad's position. I would not mind Cerra moving into the midfield and maybe giving Walsh a little spell somewhere else. Just seems a little lost at the moment. (In saying that, I back Walsh to either get healthy or turn his form around)

We really need a healthy hybrid forward, Williams and Martin are not healthy enough.

Not the best time of the year to have so many changes in our line up.
Those wanting Binns in the team, if you're upset by Hollands losing contest, Binns would drive you insane.
I wonder how far away Lord is from being AFL ready?

These are the things I saw again last night that have not been addressed in weeks;
  • Walsh is just not right, his back must be a lot worse than the shit the club feeds us. He is getting caught a lot and turning the ball over a lot. 5 disposals in a half is not a fit Sam Walsh
  • Cerra has 0 idea in the backline, why are we persisting, should be starting as a sub atm, and Hewitt should not be dropped again.
  • Our defence are playing ok individually, but as a collective they stink. Looks like they are either very tired or they are just prepared to concede once the ball is turned over. Not playing for one another. Man-ing up just isn’t a thing.
  • Our smalls are just not doing enough and don’t know how to play as smalls. None of them know how to crumb. Owies is nailing his set shots but then goes missing again. This has been the same all year. Williams is the only one who knows how to put himself in the right spots and spot up targets if he isn’t kicking the his self. Fog is good around the ground but doesn’t hit the scoreboard anywhere near enough.
  • We are way too Charlie/Harry centric. Clubs know this and are negating our forward forays way too easily. Kennedy played well last night, but none of our other forwards did (except Charlie). Despite Charlie having 2 or three to contest with, and Alir marking everything within 10 metres of him, we ‘bomb it to Charlie’ without any thought about a plan B
  • My mate Cotters is testing the friendship. Should not be in the side atm , but is getting a game because Blacres is out and we don’t have enough run, but he is making poor decisions. Has no confidence atm.
  • We just aren’t hungry enough for a flag. We have returned to rock-star individual acts, and are not playing for one another. God knows why. Cripps 200th showed how complacent we’ve become.
If we don’t find something against Collingwood this week, God help us against Hawthorn, because it will be a 100+ point drubbing and straight set exit out of the finals if we don’t do some serious soul searching, and address the obvious things.

Hawks are going to smash us, they will get us on the outside with their run and speed, and they will get us on the inside. I'm not even sure we can win against the Pies, it's all falling in a heap. There is still hope that it's just a form slump, it's a long season, but second spot is gone.

Do you realise Cerra has been playing like dog shit and walsh has lost a yard. We had the "Ins" you suggest did not beat GWS or the Bulldogs. Voss has squeezed this list but there is not enough juice in it to win a flag & primarily because the midfield has fallen off a cliff
Weare miles off a grand final let alone a flag. Given the current state of play, we may not even make finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back