Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing. They all slowly move forward from their positions in our own half, Charlie kicks back to a free player and then runs forward so he can be the target of the next kick… inside our 50 in a 1v4 because we’ve given the opposition time to also flood back

Most infuriating part of the game tonight. We didn’t even look like trying anything different

Especially when we threw Young back as well. It was kick long to Fogarty and Owies.

^ this has to one of the biggest mistakes under Vossy. Mind blown over it!
Especially how he ended up 23 at over 80% - he could of at least sent him to Horne Francis when he was heating up and getting dangerous around fwd stoppage - no we plonk him in back pocket -- if he isn't tagging he isn't good enough ..

I rarely contribute but tonight it looked like the boys were gassed in the second half. Despite the negativity we have been more than competitive in all but the loss to Sydney. Given the gaps that need to be filled, we actually do very well. Window is open for maybe two more years but this relies on fixing those gaps quickly. After that, I agree with an earlier assessment we may be looking to rebuild. As I said to my wife (a Roos supporter) tonight, if we don't win one soon, you might win one before us.
I will enjoy the ride for the rest of the year and hope that things can turn quickly. We are still in it. Better than not having any hope for finals.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes I did. They made me believe. They made me think that we can find the extra gear when we need it. They made me think that we can consistently maintain a high pressure rating. They made me think they had belief in themselves and the system. Not as much last year, as that was just an exhilarating ride out of nowhere. However, when we hit finals, we turned negative and while we won a couple of finals, there were some danger signs.

When I was finally convinced we were on our way to a flag, they turned me back around within 2 weeks.

Something is not right. We were flying and then started to bring players back that we all believed are in our best 22, and it has messed with our balance or something. Our dynamic is different. We're losing trust in each other.

So many other teams are flying and we are treading water. As it stands, we are in trouble.

For me, any hope that we can turn this around and contend for the flag is just that right now ... hope. I don't trust them or have faith in them right now. I don't like what I am seeing at the wrong time of the year. I won't go into any game thinking we will lose, but don't trust us to win either.
You certainly don’t see last year

We exchanged posts because you were talking about the need to trade players

Done for tonight with the overt negativity

Perspective is importnat

Lose that and we go backwards

Dione

Nothing. They all slowly move forward from their positions in our own half, Charlie kicks back to a free player and then runs forward so he can be the target of the next kick… inside our 50 in a 1v4 because we’ve given the opposition time to also flood back

Most infuriating part of the game tonight. We didn’t even look like trying anything different
Someone should tell our forwards you don't need to be KPF size to present, lead and take a mark when Charlie has the ball in the middle 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires - don't suit our game plan, need to adjust. Don't win the ball or tackle hard. Wait for the spill

The interesting thing here is that the way we play the game hasn't changed dramatically over the course of the season yet there's very distinct patterns in the way that the umpires have called our games.

Early season -- we led the league in free kicks for a while

Mid season -- there were a good eight or nine games in a row where we lost the free kick count every week and some games weren't even close. For example, one game where we got our third free kick for the match late in time on of the third quarter (was this the GWS match? Gold Coast?)

Recently (including tonight) -- gone back to winning the free kick count but majority of our free kicks have come in the back half of the ground and we're giving away a lot of scoring frees.

Disappointed and not surprised with the loss after H Mackay out. Stopped our wing release outlet (out of defence) and we lost the second key forward. Zero planning on the loss of Mckay meant we played like he was out there. Coaches (dumb), and players (dumber).

Never understood so much of the confidence going into this game. Win or lose, this game was not going to be easy as 1) it was a 5 day break, 2) they owe us revenge and Kenny owes Vossy a smack and they have suffered at our hands recently, and 3) they have Sydney next week and if they lose to us and Sydney their season is done. This was always going to be a final type game for them.

What I noticed...
  • I really did think we were out on our feet from 2nd half onwards. Given ports commitment to this game and a high pressure rating we were going to run out of legs and needed a lead. We couldnt get enough of a lead or sustain the effort. I would say this was a brutal cop for us to take on an important match.
  • It's funny, GWS and Doggies missed key players but their system held up to beat us. We drop a few key players and our system of moving the ball ends up shit. Once we get a bit tired, the transition plan fall over. Harry missing meant we didnt change one thing despite losing a key fwd and an outlet mark / competing on the wing. We played exactly the same and got absolutely MUGGED on the wing and up fwd after half time. Dumb (coaches) and dumber (players) didn't change any of the process.
  • I'm most disappointed in Pitto who got smacked after half time by close to the worst ruck in the AFL. Pitto im annoyed at as he is fresh. But he cant run out a game. The previous good form he had was in qtrs 1 and 2 with his hit outs to adv. Every time after half time he collapses letting us down. Sweet is a ruck potato.
  • Given the 5 day turnaround Pitto, Cunners, Cottrell on freshness were the players i expected most from. Cottrell disappeared again when we needed him. Got lost, got ineffective. When we are dominating he gets loose in the fwd 50 and goals. He is not a skier in mentality as he is blue collar, but he is a skier in output.
  • Kempy. Poor ****ing guy. I blame the MC but he was involved in most of Port's goals. Austin, you didnt see this. It's costing us now as every key forward not taken by Weitering is kicking 2-5 goals every week. And lets not miss they are taking Weitering away from the contest it is that easy. What is the point of having the best 1-2 fwd punch in the league if opposition potato fwds can score just as many goals per match.
  • Ollie needs a break. Trying his guts out but he is cooked midway through the third qtrs. Over doing it early in games.
  • Charlie is a freak. Leads every goal list but not one goal is easy.
  • Didnt understand the butters release and Curnow back with no outlet option on the wing..Pitto somewhere lost. Where was the coaches instruction here.
  • I cant be bothered. Another disappointing weekend. We are faltering...

I rarely contribute but tonight it looked like the boys were gassed in the second half. Despite the negativity we have been more than competitive in all but the loss to Sydney. Given the gaps that need to be filled, we actually do very well. Window is open for maybe two more years but this relies on fixing those gaps quickly. After that, I agree with an earlier assessment we may be looking to rebuild. As I said to my wife (a Roos supporter) tonight, if we don't win one soon, you might win one before us.
I will enjoy the ride for the rest of the year and hope that things can turn quickly. We are still in it. Better than not having any hope for finals.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sadly i think due to a number of factors we are cooked for this year, the Hawks will make us look pedestrian. eyes ahead to next year and hopefully a bit more depth, but with our cap under pressure i can't see us getting anyone of quality to add to the list. we are wasting so much talent by falling away like this at the business end of the season. this year with teams being so even, we can't compete when we lose vital structural players. I really do hope they come out and prove me wrong the next 4 games.

You certainly don’t see last year

We exchanged posts because you were talking about the need to trade players

Done for tonight with the overt negativity

Perspective is importnat

Lose that and we go backwards

Dione

Where did I mention trading anybody? Do you have the wrong person?

I respect your right to feel positive still. I ebb and flow as I see things. There's no need to get snippy with people because you have a different opinion.

I have a perspective. I articulately explain my perspective at every opportunity. You disagree. Good for you.

Nothing I think is going to cause the team to go backwards.

Sadly i think due to a number of factors we are cooked for this year, the Hawks will make us look pedestrian. eyes ahead to next year and hopefully a bit more depth, but with our cap under pressure i can't see us getting anyone of quality to add to the list. we are wasting so much talent by falling away like this at the business end of the season. this year with teams being so even, we can't compete when we lose vital structural players. I really do hope they come out and prove me wrong the next 4 games.

We need a decent injury run. It's beyond a joke how many we have missed this year, and these guys are beat up. We do need to add quality pace to this side, and we do need some quality talls coming through the VFL. We've got it all wrong IMO. We should be winning flags with the elite core we have, but sometimes that elite core is made to look pedestrian because of how we play. I'm not sure we are capitalising on our assets properly.

Not sure how we add what we need in the offseason, and I have no faith that we even think it's an issue. Next year has to be our year.

I get the disappointment. I don’t get the anger. Our best this season has been the best in the competition outside of Sydney. We are having our bad stretch, and it’s just happening to be at a really poor time. Still reckon we can have an impact in finals

I know I will be accused of giving them excuses, but the 5 day break, mixed with a bunch of sore players, certainly didn’t help. We looked gassed for most of the second half.

Interested to see what the fallout is, but there’s no point in panicking or getting angry

After this weekend, there is a pretty good chance we will be in 6th place. Can we claim our best is 2nd after Sydney then? Those teams set to go above us have all had some pretty decent patches.

We only gave up 79 points.

Credit to the backline for absorbing so much in the third quarter. They could have kicked 7 or 8 goals with the amount of f50 entries they had.

The season isn't over yet regardless of what happened today, we should still be a top 4 side by the end of it which was where I had us before the season, expectations were raised during the season is all.
Unfortunately we may be out of the top 4 come Sunday. A loss to the Pies would pretty much end it for us imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back