Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the things I saw again last night that have not been addressed in weeks;
  • Walsh is just not right, his back must be a lot worse than the shit the club feeds us. He is getting caught a lot and turning the ball over a lot. 5 disposals in a half is not a fit Sam Walsh
  • Cerra has 0 idea in the backline, why are we persisting, should be starting as a sub atm, and Hewitt should not be dropped again.
  • Our defence are playing ok individually, but as a collective they stink. Looks like they are either very tired or they are just prepared to concede once the ball is turned over. Not playing for one another. Man-ing up just isn’t a thing.
  • Our smalls are just not doing enough and don’t know how to play as smalls. None of them know how to crumb. Owies is nailing his set shots but then goes missing again. This has been the same all year. Williams is the only one who knows how to put himself in the right spots and spot up targets if he isn’t kicking the his self. Fog is good around the ground but doesn’t hit the scoreboard anywhere near enough.
  • We are way too Charlie/Harry centric. Clubs know this and are negating our forward forays way too easily. Kennedy played well last night, but none of our other forwards did (except Charlie). Despite Charlie having 2 or three to contest with, and Alir marking everything within 10 metres of him, we ‘bomb it to Charlie’ without any thought about a plan B
  • My mate Cotters is testing the friendship. Should not be in the side atm , but is getting a game because Blacres is out and we don’t have enough run, but he is making poor decisions. Has no confidence atm.
  • We just aren’t hungry enough for a flag. We have returned to rock-star individual acts, and are not playing for one another. God knows why. Cripps 200th showed how complacent we’ve become.
If we don’t find something against Collingwood this week, God help us against Hawthorn, because it will be a 100+ point drubbing and straight set exit out of the finals if we don’t do some serious soul searching, and address the obvious things.
100% agree re the individuals. Been like that for years other than an all too brief period at the end of the regular seasoon last year. All is not well in camp Carlton.

My fear this year has been if we don’t have close to our best 22 on the ground we will struggle. Today was an example of that

We have too many average, bit part players in our side that don’t do enough and to much is left to our stars

Put McKay TDK Docherty Jack Acres Martin Williams Boyd into that side and it’s a very different story. The injury interrupted seasons of Cerra Saad Motlop Walsh haven’t helped either as they aren’t anywhere near their best

That’s how I see it
I share a similar view but more being conferenced about our coaches.

Weitering gets a corky and plays out the GWS game and we turn to crap, where is the system?

We lost two important players this game, but had Gov return and Pitto is solid, there seems to be no system that’s ingrained that players can slot in and do a job.

It seems like the cos hung staff just rely on quality players doing a job rather than a game plan that stands up regardless

Still annoyed and disappointed….weekend ruined

One thing I still done understand is the reluctance to mix the midfield up

Cripps being heavily tagged…..they swing Rat forward because we don’t have a third tall. Send Cripps to CHF for 6-7 mins and try and get a mismatch…throw Kennedy into the middle.

You send Young back but leave Kemp benched for a good chunk on the last….chuck him forward and plonk him on Zerk-Thatcher who had a shaky a first half playing on an opponent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been no Heavy training.

However, as I have posted last few weeks we have a number of very sore/injured players that really need a break.

Unfortunately we don’t have the players to come in

Again it comes back to depth

If true then we have major problems. Our fitness/high performance team needs to be reviewed. How can we be this unfit/sore compared to gws/doggies/port.

Collingwood done a heavy training load last season when they lost to hawthorn and us. It’s something good teams do to top up for finals.

I get you haven’t heard this but it’s not something that would be spoken about by anyone other than Russell and Vossy. If players were told this they would have a negative mindset game day. Yeah sure they might notice there’s extra requirements at training but that’s different to discussing it. Public discussion of it wouldn’t be good either. Basically tanking these games.

That's just absolutely ****ing pathetic. Sorry for the swearing but seriously, im sick and tired of this club having these standards. You can't seriously tell me you hope to be a genuine premiership contender with injury prone players like Cunningham. What a joke.
Felt sorry for Davey, sitting in the back. With the full knowledge that he will more than likely, never pull on the navy blue again.

Still annoyed and disappointed….weekend ruined

One thing I still done understand is the reluctance to mix the midfield up

Cripps being heavily tagged…..they swing Rat forward because we don’t have a third tall. Send Cripps to CHF for 6-7 mins are try and get a mismatch…throw Kennedy into the middle.

You send Young back but leave Kemp benched for a good chunk on the last….chuck him forward and plonk him on Zerk-Thatcher who had a shaky a first half playing on an opponent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cez - a proven A-grade midfielder (admittedly out of form) stuck at half-back for 0 touches in the third.. sent forward during the last and two final qtr disposals… meanwhile, we have a kid who is built like a stick up around the contest (Hollands, but you could add Carroll) and we keep the same midfield mix for virtually the entire match. What an absolute waste.

Voss the boss who is at a loss.

Last edited:
RIGHT!!!

Listen up all you doom and gloom and negative mofos!

If you can’t see that the first half was exactly the Carlton we know and love then so be it.

But if you also can’t understand how banged up we were and had the famous 5 day break that all the other clubs are coping at this time of year…. What’s that? They’re not getting 5 day breaks?

Whatever…

H was the tipping point and they fired all their bullets but clearly couldn’t go anymore.

Kicking goals is usually not a problem for us is it so when that’s dried up to nothing and the lead is coughed up with limited fight it isn’t a lack of care, heart or effort.

Our boys were shot.

They will ram the biggest navy blue toy so far up our Magpie friends ever!

This is not the end it is just the beginning!

Next message will be after I sober up in October….

Keep the faith my Baggers!

Love ya work and catch ya soon..
You literally play us next week coming off a 5 day break.

We have had Cripps for 11 years.. how we’ve not managed to build a midfield that is the envy of all other teams in all that time is beyond me… LOB over Richards springs to mind. Paying a high price for Cez, who is a bit ‘more of the same’ (ie, lacking leg speed, not dynamic) was always a concern.

Last edited:
People saying Harry, TDK and Acres out was a big part in us losing, last time I checked, those three played the last three games, where we have played like turd

The more I think about it, the more I think we have a coach that just relies on his star players and has no system.

Port also had less than a day extra break than us, 20 hours extra, it’s not an excuse to hang your hat on

It's a new day and though the sky is gloomy. The Blues fan's are gloomier still.

Just remember folks things are never as bad or as good as they seem.

I tried to stay positive, even after hearing about Harry. Realistically, the writing was on the wall.

First half was great, we were all up and about. Kennedy, Cripps, Weiters and Saady were all playing well.

Then after half time, we just had nothing left in the legs. Also having so many non contributor's did not help.

Walsh should not have played, imo. He looks banged up and very sore. But the problem was, who comes in for him?

Lewis Young was poor again, need to cut our losses with this guy, imo.

Boyd is an elite user by foot and has real pace, hopefully he is ready to go next week.

Harry will be back, better than ever. AFL did not want him playing last night and made sure of it imo.

Jack Martin will hopefully put in a good game in the two's this weekend. We really need him.

Eight day break, very welcome. Bring on the cold pies, feel confident that our surge starts next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you realise Cerra has been playing like dog shit and walsh has lost a yard. We had the "Ins" you suggest did not beat GWS or the Bulldogs. Voss has squeezed this list but there is not enough juice in it to win a flag & primarily because the midfield has fallen off a cliff
I was responding to your post - “We had our 5 best mids out there and lost contest and clearance.”

You were referring to last night’s game and the lost clearances weren’t you? Just pointing out that only 3 of our 5 best mids played in a midfield role.

We are cooked... this is not the year gents and ladies. We have no mojo. The last month had been ordinary. It'll get patched over with no H or acres. Voss thought we were good last week against North lol...We were supposed to come out angry against North and turned up with 129 pressure. 1 goal in a half tonight? We are done

What will make next year any different?

100% agree re the individuals. Been like that for years other than an all too brief period at the end of the regular seasoon last year. All is not well in camp Carlton.
What REALLY drives me nuts, is that despite the numerous coach sackings, and recoded memberships (members doing their bit), we just do not learn from past mistakes. We’ve had 30 years to get it right.

It particularly makes me furious, that a club like Hawthorn, who despite being embroiled in racism accusations, and having had a thug for a coach, won 4 flags in 10 years with said thug, and despite only being down for a few years, now have a first time inexperienced coach, favourite son of the club, who is able to get a bunch of kids up and playing for one another with an exciting brand of football and are already a force within 2 years of being appointed.

Football is cruel and illogical.

So honestly, who is making these horrendous calls? I just cannot understand our selection and on field positioning calls at the moment. Mid-season we were flying, and then we start doing stuff like dropping Hewett, making Kennedy sub, playing Pitto and TDK in the same side, Young forward, playing an underdone Marchbank, and by what you are saying here underdone Cuners and Nige too. Why are we playing Cerra at half back, why is Kennedy not getting any midfield minutes when we are getting smashed in there? Why not flip Mitch McGovern forward for something different when clearly Port are double teaming Curnow.
Pretty much.
Bit of a 'kicked in the guts' morning.
I feel for Kemp and Cerra.
And next the Pies who also desperately need to win.
Guv was great I thought, not sure about the 'flipping' idea with him.
Otherwise I agree.

My fear this year has been if we don’t have close to our best 22 on the ground we will struggle. Today was an example of that

We have too many average, bit part players in our side that don’t do enough and to much is left to our stars

Put McKay TDK Docherty Jack Acres Martin Williams Boyd into that side and it’s a very different story. The injury interrupted seasons of Cerra Saad Motlop Walsh haven’t helped either as they aren’t anywhere near their best

That’s how I see it
1000% agree. Makes an absolute mockery of the “NO PASSENGERS” slogan from a few years back.
And we continue to play our stars when clearly injured and unfit, instead if building depth by rewarding those in the VFL. What happened to ‘Next man up’?

Boyd still injured/sore but we had no one else and would have played if needed
That’s how bad we are struggling now for options
I’m also told Cuningham had a sore shoulder going into the game
I guess Binns was probably too slight of frame to have contributed more than what Cuningham contributed on the night

People saying Harry, TDK and Acres out was a big part in us losing, last time I checked, those three played the last three games, where we have played like turd
Are you saying Harry, TDK and Acres in instead of Young, Pitto, and Cuners/Carroll wouldn’t have made a difference last night?

Felt sorry for Davey, sitting in the back. With the full knowledge that he will more than likely, never pull on the navy blue again.
TBH I don’t think AFL is his priority in life. Has never shown any real hunger or desire to succeed. I think he’ll move on pretty quickly.

Motlop has been injured but can play
Kemp is being played out of position

The others can all go
Kemp is a 3rd tall in the fwd line and shouldve been coached to play the JSOS role the moment JSOS went down
Was drafted as a utility/inside mid
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This season will go down as the season where Voss and co. moronically forced square pegs in round holes

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back