Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Very hard to win when the midfield gets absolutely smashed. Wines and Drew who are 2 of Ports slowest players looked quick against our lot.
Cripps and Walsh get tackled and crunched as soon as they get the ball.

Our wings are rubbish, none of Hollands, Cottrell and Acres can kick with speed and precision. I’m over Hollands 20m floater kicks. Batman was right, Cottrell just guards grass all night.

We are done for the year and maybe this squad reached its peak last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

RIGHT!!!

Listen up all you doom and gloom and negative mofos!

If you can’t see that the first half was exactly the Carlton we know and love then so be it.

But if you also can’t understand how banged up we were and had the famous 5 day break that all the other clubs are coping at this time of year…. What’s that? They’re not getting 5 day breaks?

Whatever…

H was the tipping point and they fired all their bullets but clearly couldn’t go anymore.

Kicking goals is usually not a problem for us is it so when that’s dried up to nothing and the lead is coughed up with limited fight it isn’t a lack of care, heart or effort.

Our boys were shot.

They will ram the biggest navy blue toy so far up our Magpie friends ever!

This is not the end it is just the beginning!

Next message will be after I sober up in October….

Keep the faith my Baggers!

Love ya work and catch ya soon..

Thanks. I needed to read that this morning.

Okay, had a night to think it over a bit. Got some distance.

To say that this was a 5 day break is something of an excuse. The media shared stats concerning teams coming off a 5 day break earlier in the year, demonstrating that they win more than they lose. So while I have a bit more to say about this - how the effects of a 5 day break were compounded - I've decided that's not really an acceptable argument anymore. Where once we were young and had an excuse for not having miles in the legs sufficient to run this out, we're plenty old and mature enough now to expect to run games out properly regardless of the break.

What is a serious reason why this performance was as down as it was is that it's a 5 day break after Nth spent 4 terms slamming into us. They injured three players - Acres, Harry, Durdin - and they made a good deal more feel sore. Walsh can't bend. Weitering looks hampered. Newman is inflexible above his head, as though stretching out hurts. Gov's just back from an injury. Saad is short a step. Hewitt looked slower than usual, and Cincotta didn't have the same power he usually has.

I remember back to some of my earliest memories of this sport, Terry Wallace's Dogs in his dying days as their coach. I remember how if they couldn't make finals, they would do their utmost to derail other sideks shot; snipes, bumps, bonecrunching tackles, the lot. It always felt unfair to me at the time; 'I might not make finals, so you can't have a look either!' It's a tantrum, but accepted from a grown adult human. Clarkson's approach to our game against Nth felt very similar.

Now, my personal disapproval of a gameplan or approach to footy notwithstanding - it isn't for Clarkson or the other teams to play according to my ethical frameworks! - the problem here is that while we are strong, large, tough, we are a ball side. We play the footy. You smash into us, we'll get up and go again. Only, that's an invitation to do it again. Pittonett is a rough and tumble ruck unwilling to hurt his opponent. Cripps is a cleanshirt for all that he's brilliant; Walsh is not dissimilar. Tom De Koning is a labrador. Harry's a peacock. Charlie's a kid in a candy shop. Weitering's not got a hair out of line. Kemp is forced to play within himself every time he takes a step onto the park.

We play nice footy. Contested ball, contested marks, clearances; we've all the power in the world. But when a side tries to get physical, our answer is a shrug and to get on with it.

And we wonder why every week we lose players to contact injuries.

By being so apathetic to opposition physicality, we encourage them to do it again and again and again. No retaliation. No protection. Might as well wear a target on your ribs. No disincentive not to do it.

If a bloke bounces you, you ****ing hit him for six to show him not to do it again. If a bloke punches one of your teammates, you get in his face and you show him what the consequences of doing it again will be.

We lack mongrel, and some of that starts with the coach.

Are you saying Harry, TDK and Acres in instead of Young, Pitto, and Cuners/Carroll wouldn’t have made a difference last night?

It’s easy to say they would have and we would have won if they did, but nobody knows that, they all played last week and we weren’t any good, they played the previous weeks and we still lost.

Cez - a proven A-grade midfielder (admittedly out of form) stuck at half-back for 0 touches in the third.. sent forward during the last and two final qtr disposals… meanwhile, we have a kid who is built like a stick up around the contest (Hollands, but you could add Carroll) and we keep the same midfield mix for virtually the entire match. What an absolute waste.

Voss the boss who is at a loss.
Voss had a shocker.

Christ our speed around the ball is dreadful.

Maybe it is...in fact, it definitely is..BUT

When you get smashed at stoppages, clearances and centre bounce contest, you are on a hiding to nothing. Opposition take it form the inside TO THE OUTSIDE and control the flow, as well as the metres gained (which puts oppo team defence on edge)

When we were winning well, we didn't look slow, particularly when winning stoppages/clearances
Our mids are our (#1) biggest problem, followed by our (#2) insipid small' ability to keep the ball in F50 which then creates havoc and uncertainty for oppo defenders

At (#3), we refuse to create space/separation when going forward and refuse to lower eyes (maybe because all our fwds are all bunched up in the same area) and look for a target with more than 3cm separation from his defender

At (#4), I'll bunch in stubborn coaching, questionable selection/non selection/sub

I am actually refusing to blame our defenders. Our defending of D50 stoppages and our insipid team defence which has roots spelled out above tells me that our defenders are working overtime because of the sins up the ground

Felt sorry for Davey, sitting in the back. With the full knowledge that he will more than likely, never pull on the navy blue again.

He’s already won footy lotto being in the system for as long as he has showing very little.

No need to feel sorry for him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2s have a bye unfortunately
And Cuningham already had a suspect shoulder

Maybe "60 pound weakling" Binns could've made more of an impact than Cuningham after getting lots of possies at VFL level (which last time I checked is the only level you can judge form from before being selected at AFL level)

What were Cuningham's stats last night that Binns needed to equal?

What was Cuningham's game time that Binns needed to equal to at least provide rest and rotations

No VFL this week for Binns to try and stake ANOTHER claim

To say that this was a 5 day break is something of an excuse. The media shared stats concerning teams coming off a 5 day break earlier in the year, demonstrating that they win more than they lose. So while I have a bit more to say about this - how the effects of a 5 day break were compounded - I've decided that's not really an acceptable argument anymore. Where once we were young and had an excuse for not having miles in the legs sufficient to run this out, we're plenty old and mature enough now to expect to run games out properly regardless of the break.

What is a serious reason why this performance was as down as it was is that it's a 5 day break after Nth spent 4 terms slamming into us. They injured three players - Acres, Harry, Durdin - and they made a good deal more feel sore. Walsh can't bend. Weitering looks hampered. Newman is inflexible above his head, as though stretching out hurts. Gov's just back from an injury. Saad is short a step. Hewitt looked slower than usual, and Cincotta didn't have the same power he usually has.

I remember back to some of my earliest memories of this sport, Terry Wallace's Dogs in his dying days as their coach. I remember how if they couldn't make finals, they would do their utmost to derail other sideks shot; snipes, bumps, bonecrunching tackles, the lot. It always felt unfair to me at the time; 'I might not make finals, so you can't have a look either!' It's a tantrum, but accepted from a grown adult human. Clarkson's approach to our game against Nth felt very similar.

Now, my personal disapproval of a gameplan or approach to footy notwithstanding - it isn't for Clarkson or the other teams to play according to my ethical frameworks! - the problem here is that while we are strong, large, tough, we are a ball side. We play the footy. You smash into us, we'll get up and go again. Only, that's an invitation to do it again. Pittonett is a rough and tumble ruck unwilling to hurt his opponent. Cripps is a cleanshirt for all that he's brilliant; Walsh is not dissimilar. Tom De Koning is a labrador. Harry's a peacock. Charlie's a kid in a candy shop. Weitering's not got a hair out of line. Kemp is forced to play within himself every time he takes a step onto the park.

We play nice footy. Contested ball, contested marks, clearances; we've all the power in the world. But when a side tries to get physical, our answer is a shrug and to get on with it.

By being so apathetic to opposition physicality, we encourage them to do it again and again and again. No retaliation. No protection. Might as well wear a target on your ribs. No disincentive not to do it.

If a bloke bounces you, you ****ing hit him for six to show him not to do it again. If a bloke punches one of your teammates, you get in his face and you show him what the consequences of doing it again will be.

100% agree, not one nasty prick in our side…

Cottrell plays because he has a bit of it in him but not much else…

We can be got, the pies will do it to us on the back of Maynard…

Voss has a big decision to make this week, he either takes control or defers to his line coaches…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really feel for Kemp. Asked to play a position he isn't physically able to. Asked to play on Hogan and Rattaglea. He's way too undersized. The correct match up should've been Young back and Kemp or Gov forward.
In theory, yes. That would’ve been ideal. But Young plays as if he is 160cms, 63kgs and has zero intensity. Kemp is forced to play the role because the player who SHOULD be taking that position is not AFL standard. This season if anything has demonstrated our glaring need for a second KPD to partner Weitering and allow Gov to play interceptor

I like your right ups Geth but you seem a little in the fence here, rightfully calling out our straight edge players lack of mongrel but also being critical or dismissive of other teams showing exactly what you say we are missing.

If North smashed us so bad, then that’s on us for allowing it, I think back to the GWS game where Greene punched one of our guys in the guts, the player went down and play stopped, not one player did a thing and it was called out here at the time.

In regards to your comments about Wallace, tantrums and Clarkson, I think it’s a bit off, whenever you play a side, you should be doing everything you can to make them lose, whether your in the 8 or not, being out of contention shouldn’t mean allowing a team a free pass.

When you can’t make finals or can’t win a match, you need to strive to win something, hardball gets, possessions, tackles, small wins add up over time.

Your post reminds me of the whinging that still happens today regarding Clarkson and him dropping players back to stop Fev from getting 100 goals, elite coaches, players and teams don’t give any free passes, no thought should be given to the opposition, if they are good enough they will get their own rewards, Fev didn’t score 100 that year because he wasn’t good enough.

Your cricket analogy took me back to a game I was captaining many moons ago, we passed the oppositions score relatively early with a young player at the crease, I kept them in the field for most of the day so the kid in my team could make a 100, after the game their captain had some very choice words to me, I told him to worry about his team and I’ll worry about mine, I didn’t care for him or his team, I cared for building belief, confidence and standards within my own team.

I feel our supporter base has been sooking all year, TDK getting blocked in the ruck and our forwards not getting looked after is a recurring theme, suck it up, stop demanding other teams be nicer and start demanding our players be stronger.

So I agree, we are soft, we lack Mongrel, we need to stop asking others to be nicer and toughen up

Carroll had 9 disposals and 1 clearance in 3 quarters. He wasn't close to serviceable. Hewett 23 disposals, 5 clearances and 8 tackles was pretty good.
Hewett has shown himself to be one of our most reliable.

The decisions to make him sub or dropped altogether have been the most confusing (next to Cerra across the backline) taken by the brains trust.

Carroll isn’t and I doubt ever will be anywhere near the quality of Hewett. If I was George I’d be onto my management asap. He’d be a monty in at least 12 other teams.

And Cuningham already had a suspect shoulder

Maybe "60 pound weakling" Binns could've made more of an impact than Cuningham after getting lots of possies at VFL level (which last time I checked is the only level you can judge form from before being selected at AFL level)

What were Cuningham's stats last night that Binns needed to equal?

What was Cuningham's game time that Binns needed to equal to at least provide rest and rotations

No VFL this week for Binns to try and stake ANOTHER claim

And if you’re worried about Binns slight frame, then play him on Jase Burgoyne…you see some clubs see potential in a player and just get them in the team.

We just stick with same old same old

Cuners is a flipping pipe dream that came off once or twice, Binns has consistently outplayed Cuners over the last 2 years in the reserves yet he still has to sit behind the pecking order.

Selection is a disgrace

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This talk of having to finish top 2 for a home qualifying final I think has mind ‘stuffed’ the players.

I don’t think we’re coping with the expectations this year,we’ve gone from the Hunter to the hunted.

This defensive mindset to sit off the play has torched our game plan along with selection integrity and dumb positional changes.

Coaches have to shoulder a lot of the blame for this not just the players,we have the talent.

Felt sorry for Davey, sitting in the back. With the full knowledge that he will more than likely, never pull on the navy blue again.
Why? He has had his 8plus years on the list.

Classic case of list clogger. Most other professional clubs would have made the call on him years ago.

Collingwood did it with Freeman for example, cut their loses and let him be someones elses problem.

We carry way too many of these "potential" outweighing actual output types.

Availability is the best ability.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Just a really bad loss, to top off a terrible month of football.

Dimma Hardwick termed July as 'big boy month'. It's cold & wet on the track, fatigue is kicking in, along with injuries, finals are in sight, teams have started to work you out and come after you hard. The big teams stand up, slog it out and get it done, and coast into August & September getting ready for finals.

We've failed big boy month abysmally. Didn't handle the expectation, didn't handle the oppositions pressure nor the 'unfair' fixturing or standard injuries.

I saw Richmond of 17-20, Hawthorn 13-15, Geelong over the years & the other top clubs power through these situations and get it done, we are just so far from that it's not funny.

Really, really disappointed. We have 5-6 generational club players for us right now and we're middle of the road. Can't help but think we're going to waste this list and before we know it, we will blink and we will miss our shot.

I don't know what the answer is, I can't single out any individual player for this. The collective group just seem to not be able to handle the pressure of expectation in elite team sport, and I'm not sure that can be fixed.

Very hard to win when the midfield gets absolutely smashed. Wines and Drew who are 2 of Ports slowest players looked quick against our lot.
Cripps and Walsh get tackled and crunched as soon as they get the ball.

Our wings are rubbish, none of Hollands, Cottrell and Acres can kick with speed and precision. I’m over Hollands 20m floater kicks. Batman was right, Cottrell just guards grass all night.

We are done for the year and maybe this squad reached its peak last year.

Just like Ratten era.

Limited coach with over reliance on stars

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Kemp is a 3rd tall in the fwd line and shouldve been coached to play the JSOS role the moment JSOS went down
Was drafted as a utility/inside mid
PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This season will go down as the season where Voss and co. moronically forced square pegs in round holes
Kemp forward and Marchbank to fill his spot. Unsure if Marchy has already mentally checked out, but when firing he’s easily in our best back 6. Give him a chance to go out in a blaze of glory if he’s up for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back