Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - this game was important but with Acres/McKay/Williams all out Walsh playing at 50% capacity, Cerra coming back from ( obviously) a very serious hamstring, McGovern nursing himself back after his usual weekly break every few...

AND NO SECOND KPD available

that is a few decent players not present last night.
Important cogs missing, poor to zero FWD/Mid pressure applied and slow midfield combined with very average wingmen beat us.
Other teams are now waltzing out of our FWD line and midfield.

I think last night really highlighted how important McKay is to our structure. Not just for his goals but the team things he does.

Someone already mentioned it but Acres was also a massive miss.

If Harry's out we really don't have an alternative and we struggle massively.

Especially if Kemp is not being used as a forward option. I personally want McGovern in the backline. That is his position and he, Saad & Weitering bring stability there. Without them we buckle

Also Cottrell isn't a winger, and I'm not sure the story on Binns so that also leaves us very short on the wings when Acres isn't in the team.

McKay out would have been ok, if we had TdK and/or JSoS. Both forward next to Charlie last night and we win.

Apart from all the other issues, we are very weak in the air. Marvel suits marking players.

Harry and TDK hurt big time, but I reckon we had 2 players that know what they are doing aerially - Weiters and Charlie. Kemp and Gov ok with space, but geez we struggled to impact in the air down back as soon as Weiters was blocked out of a contest.

Actually Kennedy is good. An indictment on others though, that a mid is so much more capable in that aspect.

Most get too chest puffy after a win and too many get too low after a loss.

Yep - this game was important but with Acres/McKay/Williams all out Walsh playing at 50% capacity, Cerra coming back from ( obviously) a very serious hamstring, McGovern nursing himself back after his usual weekly break every few...

Funny reading a couple of blokes talking about lack of mongrel - that is teh thing abotu mongrel - not having it mean's you cop more every week than you should - the only criticism I have of Voss tbh- I would ave thought he would have added the cream on top - which is monrgel.

Never going to be an easy win against anyone - no team has that ability these days. With all the outs - I had penned as a 40% chance of winning this one - no surprises.

Really bad luck for Cuningham ( again) a hard glancing rn through contact in exactly the spot you dont want and shoulder gonski - again.

Collingwood next week - a mini GF for both sides - hopefully a few players are back.
Broadly agree. When you win it's hard to see how you could ever lose, when you lose it's hard to see how you could ever win.

What this slump has shown, though, is we really are missing some things and we have potentially fiddled too much with our 23.

A big one for me has been our KPP depth has been badly exposed. I think it's always been known to a point but it's never been an issue as fortunately our big guys are consistently available. No viable 2nd KPD and no depth KPF is a red flag.

Further is no real viable 3rd medium marking forward. Real dearth of marking targets inside 50 once Charlie or H aren't there.

Most get too chest puffy after a win and too many get too low after a loss.

Funny reading a couple of blokes talking about lack of mongrel - that is teh thing abotu mongrel - not having it mean's you cop more every week than you should - the only criticism I have of Voss tbh- I would ave thought he would have added the cream on top - which is monrgel.

Never going to be an easy win against anyone - no team has that ability these days. With all the outs - I had penned as a 40% chance of winning this one - no surprises.

Really bad luck for Cuningham ( again) a hard glancing rn through contact in exactly the spot you dont want and shoulder gonski - again.

Collingwood next week - a mini GF for both sides - hopefully a few players are back.
Great post. Too many supporters take a Ptolemaic view of footy and struggle to look at things objectively. We're just another team in this competition, with challenges and things to work through like everything else. Calls that we've peaked after a poor month are frankly absurd.

For me, the main criticism is have we setup to minimise damage from stoppage. We've been struggling there for weeks, how do we neutralise that area of the ground and not continue losing through our inability to defend opposition exits.

Yes, we're deadly from stoppage when it's going our way, but atm it's costing us game. Minus 72 points from stoppage in our last 3 losses.

Caught a bit of SEN and they were saying the word is that Andrew Russel has the players under a heavy training load.
Can we look at this as a glass half full, and they’ll ease up over next few weeks so they are firing for finals??
Yeah... a heavy training load that compromises our position on the ladder to the point that we are teetering on the brink of missing top 4 and in danger of missing finals

The "heavy training load" theory was devised inside a room of the 7th floor of the Texas School Book depository

We are too slow in the middle. The injured Walsh isn't getting it done ATM and he's pretty much all we have in terms of legspeed. Crippa, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy and Elijah to a lesser extent just don't have the tow required. Hence if we lose the clearances in any match we are cactus barring any bad luck. The opposition mids just cut us up once they get it to the outside. Likewise if we turn the ball over. And our players know this so we've gone into our shell in terms of fluent ball movement. I think the GWS game really scarred us mentally and we have zero confidence at the moment. Need to turn it around pronto before it's season over.

On last night I thought Kennedy was exceptional but we have a few players in at the moment that just don't cut it IMO. Ollie Hollands I'm looking at you. Young goes without saying. Cerra obviously worth his spot in the side but what has happened to him? From elite to sub par in the space of 6 months.

Our midfield is a massive concenr. Cripps is giving his all but has no support. Hewett was solid but Walsh is trying too much and Kenedy staying forward and Cerra HB defies logic. I can't believe how bad our contested/clearance work has fallen away.
Good point Soapy. Against NM our midfield won centre clearances 16 - 13. TDK and Harry contributing almost half of our centre clearances!

Last night we were well beaten at centre clearances 6 - 13, their replacements Pitto and Young had zero centre clearances.

Unfortunately Cripps, Walsh and Hewett were left to do the bulk of the work up against Wines, Drew, JHF and Rozee.

IMG_2388.jpeg
IMG_2389.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most of our supporters, I am very angry and frustrated by Carlton's efforts last night. We have lost that intensity that is needed for 4 quarters.
I'm at a loss as to why we haven't given Binns a decent crack at senior footy to see if he's up to it or not. The same goes for 201 cm Harry Lemmey, we have a young forward who signed a one-year extension mid-season, but they didn't play him when we struggled for height in our forward line. Putting Young as a replacement???
Again we were shown up for our lack of speed through the midfield and loose defending. Let's hope Campo's kids have some.
I am realistic and understand that our injury list players would walk straight into our team and make it better, but our next two games will define what our September looks like, the MCG or Bali.

Like most of our supporters, I am very angry and frustrated by Carlton's efforts last night. We have lost that intensity that is needed for 4 quarters.
I'm at a loss as to why we haven't given Binns a decent crack at senior footy to see if he's up to it or not. The same goes for 201 cm Harry Lemmey, we have a young forward who signed a one-year extension mid-season, but they didn't play him when we struggled for height in our forward line. Putting Young as a replacement???
Again we were shown up for our lack of speed through the midfield and loose defending. Let's hope Campo's kids have some.
I am realistic and understand that our injury list players would walk straight into our team and make it better, but our next two games will define what our September looks like, the MCG or Bali.

Harry Lemmey is not ready yet, will get pushed around just like O Hollands, we have nothing in our reserves, no depth, no talls, nothing other than injury prone players or skinny guys, Voss keeps going to the same injury ridden players who can't last 5 minutes in the seniors before getting injured or play one AFL game and then injured for the 6 weeks, what a joke.

Caught a bit of SEN and they were saying the word is that Andrew Russel has the players under a heavy training load.
Can we look at this as a glass half full, and they’ll ease up over next few weeks so they are firing for finals??
Feel like this theory comes up a lot when a team near the top starts struggling. No point firing in finals if we miss out on a top-four spot in the meantime.

You get the feeling we will have to win our final game against St Kilda to make finals. Our record against them is not great.
I'd like to think we have locked in a finals spot before the last round but i suspect you are right.

TBH I don’t think AFL is his priority in life. Has never shown any real hunger or desire to succeed. I think he’ll move on pretty quickly.
It's a lot harder to front up to the club day after day, week after week, year after year, when you're turning left into medical room instead of right on to the training track with your team mates.

For 20 years we have all the excuses in the book for losing. Truth is there are plenty of sore teams and sore players actively playing in the competition and plenty of teams being asked to win after short breaks and they do. Yes it is a disadvantage but really good sides win games with handicaps.

Truth is we looked slow and short. We are already a slow side but we looked even slower. Our forward and backline looked short. We are badly lacking runners in defence and our smaller forwards were toothless. Our onball group was again poor. We haven't got the speed around the ball to bring pressure or run and carry the ball. Our up and back speed is also too slow to produce really strong defensive structures AND good fast attacking forward plays.

I thought our coaching group also had a stinker. We had good a good number of midfielders in the side and once again we failed to use high rotations. Our coaching group has been really poor when it comes to putting good numbers through the middle of the ground the entire time Voss has been in charge. This should be a fundamental of our side that we rotate our mids, keep them fresh and hence finish games strongly. Kennedy and Cerra weren't really used that much in the middle.

We keep burning our mids out like this then it's our coaching who is responsible for poor finishes and tired players. How we could go into a game with excess mids and not rotate them well is beyond me.

The other part is our lack of out of the box thinking. Voss and his team are rigid thinkers. When they do experiment and change players positions it rarely works. Williams is a tick. Cincotta half a tick. Young forward wasn't crazy but not far off it. It became obvious early that Kemp was struggling on his opponent. Kemp needed to go forward and Young to defence really early on when it was obvious. Not when the game was dead.

Young forward was ok but it became very obvious he was being used as a decoy, this is when the opposition took advantage. You just can not do that, if you play non-threatening forward and decoy forwards, opposition defences will punish you for it and they did. We had to use Young and get him in dangerous positions.

Cottrell to a wing instead of Binns. I'm not calling this one out but many will. Cottrell was again poor on a wing. Cottrell is very limited. No physicality and very poor footy IQ. His defensive work is also poor. Lets not see this again.

Cerra to half back, nah. Play him middle and forward. Cincotta is an experienced half back.

I would definitely be on the lookout for an assistant coach who can bring some new ideas to the coaching group. Adam Simpson please!

As for our onball structure. Defence and pressure clearly are not part of our plans. How often did we leave two lose Port players forward of most stoppages, giving them an easy out and forward run? Our stoppage structures have been unbalanced and garbage all season. A new midfield coach would breathe a breath of fresh air into this team.

Disposals, Inside 50s, ruck, clearance, uncontested possession. Well beaten here. It all reads that our intensity around the contests, stoppages and our run is down.

Forward Line

Outside of Charlie and Harry there is very little quality and class. Cottrell and Fogarty are VFL level players. Young forward wasn't ideal but they way we used him was amaeture hour. Decoy forwards don't work in the AFL unless the opposition players and coach are blind.

Curnow was good but was a lone hand. Kennedy played the best he possibly could but is not much of a forward. Owies I thought was ok, he had a crack. Motlop could be fitter, he was ok. Fogarty is a VFL player who has ok games against bottom sides and is totally non-threatening. Cincotta is a tagger who has gone quiet offensively.

It's a really really unthreatening forward line. Take out the two big guns, and one was out, it would become the weakest forward line in the game.

Too many defensive smalls who lack leg speed and have no offensive game. Cottrell will be back next week and this does not help us one little bit. He is a VFL quality player that for some strange reason the coach rates.

Midfield

Just when you thought our midfield could not get any slower it has. A team full of mids yet our midfield rotations looked to be pretty low. Cripps and Walsh were good but outside of them there was SFA. I suppose Hewett had an ok game. But we were soundly beaten. What worries me is that teams run away from us too easily. The forward run and carry teams generate against us this last month and a half is scary. It's unsustainable. We are getting torched. Our midfield structures and lack of leg speed, inability to chase and close down opposition players is killing us. Pittonet struggled, he wasn't much good. Carroll hardly touched it. Hollands looks good in there. But the energy, speed and intensity around the ball was rubbish. Forget the short break and sore players excuse, it's been rubbish for a month and a half.

Hollands on the wing, I thought he was solid. Cottrell is a very limited player and wing is a position he can't play.

Back Line

Thought it stood up under a lot of pressure to a point. Weitering is in good form at the moment. Newman has been out of form but looked solid this game. McGovern was really good, proved he is a player who we can not do without. Saad the same, we can't do without him either. Kemp was rubbish. Dropped a crucial mark. His spoiling is really weak. Forget the undersized thing for a moment. We had a guy named Glenn Manton who at 185cm would play on resting rucks and fullback at times and just punch the ball away all day. Sometimes it's not just size it's just poor spoiling ability. Cerra was mediocre in defence. Better than last week but it's an obvious makeshift position. Guy has probable never played in the backline. Cowan is a player who I thought could have been omitted but he was good. He's going to be a good player for us.

It's going to be a battle just to make finals. Currently we are a mid table side and not at the good end of that. We need to improve a lot to get back to top 4 quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back