Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing how good Kennedy looks when we actually play him and play him in the middle! Honestly do not know why he has started multiple games now as sub, or has played forward only.
Because Voss has no idea.

Team constantly getting smashed at stoppages. Makes Kennedy sub.

Why, in ****'s sake, was McGovern allowed to take that kick???

McGovern had already had his head slammed into the deck in the final term, with a tackle that'll get looked at. He ran head first into someone's knee. He was wobbling all over the place when he first got up, and it should've been clear to all and sundry that he wasn't right.

Why the **** wasn't there a club doctor on site to take him off that ****ing instant? Leave the notion of surrendering the ball to someone not suffering from concussion symptoms allowing them to kick straighter, if Gov was allowed to take his kick whilst suffering from a concussion it puts the entire AFL policy on concussion and head knocks up as the sham it is. Players have even more of an incentive to knock the back of your head in a marking contest now, shove a cheeky forearm when no-one can see at the bottom of a pack or slam your head into the deck.

Watch the entire sequence again.

Watch what the umpire does.

If there's not an uproar then the AFL has swept it under the rug.

Some of us, have been talking about the deficiencies of the coaching group and questionable tactics and selection since his appointment.

Wins cover the cracks.

But in reality since r1 2022, this 1 quarter of football game style has in place.

Led by talent based system.

Totally reliant on Cripps and Weitering, whats changed...?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

We are unquestionably a better team than Rd1 - 2022 but not good enough to do it for 4 quarters.

Every team has match winners…we have half a dozen but for some reason we don’t play to our strengths….long high kicks to a contest is just what the opposition defenders want

I thought tonight we did try a few different ways to enter the 50.

Collingwood’s pressure was bloody good and obviously panicked is a bit with ball in hand…..although we managed to get enough looks to win the game….we just didn’t take out chances

Tonight just shows that at the end of the day the only blokes we can rely on are Cripps, Weitering and Saad. The rest of them are either work in progress, too fragile or not up to it, and I include Walsh, Charlie and Harry all of whom were poor tonight.

We probably need to miss the finals to get the change we need. Russell and Austen need to go. Austen has left us with a lack of height down back and list depth by re-signing injury prone players. Russell has destroyed Cerra and is on track to do the same to Walsh.
Dosn’t help when the gameplan dosn’t fit our list profile.

We need to agressively target speed and endurance or change the game plan.

I’ve lost count of the games where the game plan works beautifully for 1 quarter and then we have nothing left in the tank. For starters why not defend deeper to conserve energy and then flip the switch at a point and press higher.

Voss needs to change up or the list needs to change. Personally Voss should be under the pump soon. coaches would kill for a core of Cripps, McKay, Weitering, Curnow and Walsh. Missing finals would be criminal.

Last edited:
So many things to be angry about this match but sometimes certain things happen that make you shake your head.

Start of the last quarter McGovern is grabbed whilst over the boundary line and the Pies player slings him to the ground, the ball was already out and guess what, nothing happened, where were our players running in and messing them up? There was nothing, its not the first time our players have stood back and let someone walk all over a team mate, its was crap.

Acres actually did stand up in the second quarter... first he roughed up Nick after he gave I think it was Gov a late blow... then about 3 mins later fixed his brother up on the boundary...

We need to talk about the game plan. Our ball movement is horrendous. No patterns, no quick, one, two, three release, no overlap. Our midfield is Cripps or bust. How is it we have no ball movement plan? Why is our game plan kick chip, chip, chip and bomb it to the wing where we lose 90% of the contested marks??

It truly is horrendous. I've been loathe to criticise Voss but he was part of one of the greatest midfields in history unable to teach setting up around contests, ball ups, throw ins?

And seriously Walsh is playing some of the most ineffective football from an A grade player I have ever seen.
The strange part is all pre season we were training to run and handball only. Not sure why this has changed so drastically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pittonet finished with 0 marks and 0 tackles. Not sure how this is even possible as a number one ruck.

Talk about a sliding doors moment.

We were about to sign Cameron and Pies jumped in at last minute. So we grabbed Pittonet who was our second choice

Cameron & TDK would be a good combination

Unpopular opinion incoming!
Walsh's disposal over the last couple of months has gone seriously AWOL.
Even when we were winning he was liable to making unforced errors.
Is he carrying a worse back injury than we are being told? His disposal is usually pretty good but if you take the blue glasses off for a minute and look at all aspects of our game, it's definitely something I've noticed.
Not saying it's costing us games by any means but it's certainly alarming.

Nothing unpopular with that opinion..

Feels like all year even when winning we don’t let our 2 key forwards get on a lead and mark. Instead it’s chaos in the forward line. Usually bomb it on top of them and rely on pure talent to mark it. We have to be better with these 2 plus Cripps, Weitering. Walsh has dropped away. Cerra who knows. Season feels like a waste at this point.

Too many injury prone players has hobbled us to some extent.

Think we lost this in the 1st quarter, kicked badly, due to having so many shots from long distance, that's selfish footy for me

Next 2 quarters, played with fear of not wanting to lose, rather than playing to win

Last quarter, it was back to playing the game on merit, too little too late

Plenty of selfish play prior to the last, hope the penny drops and things start to turn

In what way

Needed a block of games in the VFL before he was put back into the seniors to rebuild his confidence end fitness..

It was bleedingly obvious when he was injured and I'm not even playing hindsight here as I said it before he came back.

Whoever green lit his immediate return to the seniors rrom a medical perspective needs to GAGF.

Think we lost this in the 1st quarter, kicked badly, due to having so many shots from long distance, that's selfish footy for me

Next 2 quarters, played with fear of not wanting to lose, rather than playing to win

Last quarter, it was back to playing the game on merit, too little too late

Plenty of selfish play prior to the last, hope the penny drops and things start to turn
I thought the first shot from Charlie you could see on his face he was thinking too much. He plays well on instinct.

Maybe we built it up too much

As soon as TDK went down I knew we were screwed. Once I knew we had to rely on Pittonet my heart sank. I'm sure he's a beautiful person but he's absolutely useless after the ruck contest. Anyway, same old shit again, we'll all be back again next week supporting our wonderful club and hoping we scrape in to the finals. How the F did it all turn to tish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back