Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say one more thing for the night then I will shut my pie hole.
Our club is still in the dark ages when it comes to players health.

Concussions aside, we continue to rush our best players back in way too quickly, and we don’t build depth by playing anyone from our twos.

Who was the last player we ‘blooded’? Jack Carrol? Then we play them all out of position, and drop them the very next week if they don’t immediately perform.

We need to take a long hard look at how Geelong rotate their players.

Unpopular opinion incoming!
Walsh's disposal over the last couple of months has gone seriously AWOL.
Even when we were winning he was liable to making unforced errors.
Is he carrying a worse back injury than we are being told? His disposal is usually pretty good but if you take the blue glasses off for a minute and look at all aspects of our game, it's definitely something I've noticed.
Not saying it's costing us games by any means but it's certainly alarming.

Has had poor disposal all season, especially into fwd50.
Calling for the ball in wrong positions.
Turnovers.
HTB too often.
Dumb footballing.

I hope Hogan kicks a bag tomorrow. I feel like a 3rd straight AA gig for Charlie, would be a little bit by default.

Mirkov had 2 marks and 5 tackles in the VFL today. Went with his 12 disposals and 6 clearances. Might as well give him a run.

Eh, some effort stats. What's the worst that can happen? We find he's not up to it and it makes w list management decision easier?

So we've gone from wondering will we finish in the top two, to wondering will we finish top four to now wondering will we even finish in the top eight at all?

It looks like last year was a flash in the pan sadly. Here was an opportunity for us to make a statement and we blew it.

I just think some seriously hard questions will have to be asked of everyone come the end of the year. The ghosts and demons from the last twenty two years still seen to be very much haunting us sadly.

I was at the game what happened?

Umpire saw he was concussed. Look like he lined him up, etc. to ensure he was the one taking the kick. He clearly didn't look like he was all there at all in the build up to the kick. Umpire didn't even ask the question when the whole thing played out right in front of him.

Absolutely no player welfare at.all.

Devils advocate. Us and the pies are always 50/50. We were by far the better team in the first but decided to do a Melbourne fourth quarter impression and just fell short in the last and tonight should be considered one of our worst losses this year. But…
Bulldogs are coming home like an AC/DC inspired steam train in a mad max film when a few weeks ago I had us pegged to take them comfortably.
Port just delivered a beating to Sydney worse than any beating we have had in years and last week I had us pegged to take them comfortably.

We are have been playing flat and whilst I think Voss is a great War General coach who can inspire his troops for battle and follow an attack plan, I don’t think he is great tactician. That said our brand of ‘winning in the middle and having two Coleman medalists up forward to cover having not enough help to help weitering’ could translate really well in finals footy if we get playing with the intensity we had a month ago.
If we get back to pulling off plan A like we did a month ago, plan B doesn’t matter.

I hope Hogan kicks a bag tomorrow. I feel like a 3rd straight AA gig for Charlie, would be a little bit by default.
Charlie gast htfu.
Always trying for a cheap free kick, rarely busts his a... to tackle and always trying to do the superstar thing.
Just lead like you mean it and get your hands dirty, ffs.

Questions we were asking after game

Have any players improved this year?
Do we believe we are a Top 4 list?
Have sides worked us out? Seems to me they now take us on and out run us especially on the spread.
Are we fit enough?
Is Leg speed an issue?
Why have we carried so many injury prone players for so long?
Why are our skills so bad?
Is our development good enough? Why are we giving so many average players longer term contracts or extensions?

I honestly don’t know the answers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've quite liked Pitt's game in the past, buy I think he's going backwards rapidly.

He used to be a serviceable, if 1 dimensional ruck but now he's not even providing much in the ruck contest.

At this point there's probably no net loss by conceding ruck contests and bringing another ground level player into the centre square and round the ground
I'd almost suggest playing Young as the main ruck. Concede hitouts but at least he can take a grab. Pittonet is simply not good enough. Meaning we'll give him a 2-year extension this week.

Sadly we have reverted to being a dumb, slow, soft, unskilled side that is badly coached.

Supposed premiership favourites a mere weeks ago and now in utter disarray.

Giving us nothing to trust, believe in or get behind.

No standards. Mentally fragile. Pretenders.

Closest chance we’ve had in a generation to seriously contend for #17 and we’ve pissed it away.

Absolutely furious.

I made a tongue in cheek post about the club being haunted, if you think I really think it is then I'm not sure what to say.

Emotions are high around here after some disappointment, we all process things differently.

Ok then.

Your penance is 3 menthols & 2 Zeppelins for this disturbance.😎👍

Start of the last quarter McGovern is grabbed whilst over the boundary line and the Pies player slings him to the ground, the ball was already out and guess what, nothing happened, where were our players running in and messing them up? There was nothing, its not the first time our players have stood back and let someone walk all over a team mate, its was crap.
I did like that retaliation against Mason Cox after he got into Newmans face, a few jumped in support Newman.

Put a fork in us we are done. Not sure what happened after the first quarter of the Giants game but that is when the light got turned off.

We were playing premiership football and then zero. Quickest high to low I’ve seen. Mentally weak as piss. Don’t want it. Simple as that.
It was quarter time that giants game when I thought wow maybe we are actually good … it’s a long long season, everything has flipped !

Questions we were asking after game

Have any players improved this year?
Cripps has been better than last year. Add Harry and maybe Kennedy. That's pretty much it. The rest are either similar to last year or worse.

Do we believe we are a Top 4 list?
Sort of. The top shelf talent is almost the best in the comp, but the structure isn't right so they are being wasted.

Have sides worked us out? Seems to me they now take us on and out run us especially on the spread.
Yeah, but it wasn't hard to work out.

Are we fit enough?

I think so.

Is Leg speed an issue?

Biggest issue in the side and we constantly fail to address it.

Why have we carried so many injury prone players for so long?

Especially this year when we announced last year we were going to address the durability issues.

Why are our skills so bad?
Is our development good enough? Why are we giving so many average players longer term contracts or extensions?

I honestly don’t know the answers

Our skills and development have been terrible for as long as I remember. That's why we decided to go for a pressure based game where skills don't have to be precise.

Thought we were protecting Cerra's hammies by playing him at HB since his return.

Looks like he will need to head overseas to sort it out, shame for such a young player
Makes my blood boil that we brought him back in underdone and drppoed George the next week. Ludicrous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back