Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is contrasted to the treacle slow way we take our kick ins. Always the same thing and more times than not the ball comes straight back into our D50. Infuriating 🤬🤬🤬
Yup kick it down the same wing at Marvel and the G,where the dug out is. We know the opposition know exactly where the balls coming out of our defense. It's laughable now the opposition literally set up for it with all their talls. 9 times out of 10 it gets marked by a tall from the opposition or punched over the boundary. I'd love a dollar for every time this scenario played out.
Why not switch it up,get the opposition thinking twice instead of being so predictable?
Frustrating watching it play out time an time again.

Early bad sign for Carlton was Kennedy as sub.

Writing on the wall for a loss was Carlton's dominance in the first, easy misses for only 1- 8
1-8 against Collingwood was a clear sign we weren't going to win.
To think that we can continually blow our chances like that against Coll'd and still win is fantasy

As close as we got at the end - Carlton did not deserve to win that ... we were terrible.
Stealing the win would have only glossed over our many flaws.

As much as I'm not a coach, Joe Bloggs can see how shit this decision, (and previously Subbing/Dropping Hewitt) was.
I believe the mindset is to rotate our mids and give them a bit of a rest depending on whose best suited to the OP.
BUT, if Anyone needs a rest, it's Crippa and Walsh, not George & Bam Bam, so does not compute.

As much as I'm not a coach, Joe Bloggs can see how shit this decision, (and previously Subbing/Dropping Hewitt) was.
I believe the mindset is to rotate our mids and give them a bit of a rest depending on whose best suited to the OP.
BUT, if Anyone needs a rest, it's Crippa and Walsh, not George & Bam Bam, so does not compute.
Nothing since the dropping of an in form George computes

Our MC started ****ing around with team selection for baffling reasons 6 or so weeks ago (the dropping of Hewett was the start) and ever since then we've lost all sort of team cohesion.

Called it at the time that this was going to be a wasted season and was laughed at for the "melts". Yet here we are.

I like staunch opinions, either side of the ledger, whether I agree or not with someone's views

What I find funny are those that flip quicker than my burger guy

This season isn't over, by a long way. We will make finals, beyond that it's too early to tell

Every side has had, these so called issues, during the year.

Overall, as a season to date, we are within what the range I thought we were capable of achieving

The season isn’t over until it’s over, we can still finish top 4 or just as easily miss finals, things are tight.

We will make finals, is no sure thing, we need to win 2 out of 3 or we will struggle, a loss next week and it could be curtains.

What was your range at the start of the season? I thought top 4 at least but what was your range 4 weeks ago?

With every game the probability and expectation changes, after round 18 with 12 wins on the board, we should have been expecting a lot more than 1-2 wins from the next 6 matches.

These issues aren’t new, we’ve had them all year, our wins have papered over our massive defensive issues, now it’s catching up with us.

Looking at the run home, it very well may come down to the last game vs the Saints to decide whether we make the 8. We are somewhat lucky with teams around us playing each other in the final few rounds. That said, there’s a lot going wrong that won’t be rectified simply by having TDK and Williams back. Making finals and potentially winning an elimination final just seems a waste from where we were at a month ago. I dunno Arrow.

Like the plethora of supporters on here, it’s an exhausting and frustrating ride with this mob. We’ll never stop supporting but it’s such a deeper pain when the hope that was instilled earlier on in the year and off the back of last year, evaporates.

Hawks are 9th, with us the Tigers and Roos to come, lose next week and we will struggle.

The season isn’t over until it’s over, we can still finish top 4 or just as easily miss finals, things are tight.

We will make finals, is no sure thing, we need to win 2 out of 3 or we will struggle, a loss next week and it could be curtains.

What was your range at the start of the season? I thought top 4 at least but what was your range 4 weeks ago?

With every game the probability and expectation changes, after round 18 with 12 wins on the board, we should have been expecting a lot more than 1-2 wins from the next 6 matches.

These issues aren’t new, we’ve had them all year, our wins have papered over our massive defensive issues, now it’s catching up with us.
13-16 wins

Weekly reminder that when you kick a goal you gather momentum, the ball goes back to the centre with a 6-6-6 setup, and the team with momentum has even more chance of that continuing.
Weekly reminder that missing easy set shots deflates confidence and momentum, give the oppo heart and belief and an ability to flood back and thrust forward (as they did with great success 2-3 times)

Weekly reminder that in a fantasy world where we don’t miss, there’s an opposition supporters fantasy world where they don’t miss.

They missed several easy shots too, so if we magically get ours, why don’t they magically get theirs?

In the first qtr when Charlie put the ball to the perfect position in front of Harry and big H clapped him for it, I thought 'we were on'. That first kick in front was perfect. Then we went back to selfish shit, everyone trying to nail goals from outside 50 or tight angles, or bombing it onto H/Charlies heads instead of doing the team thing and putting it out front in a gap for a forward to lead onto.

yes, a lot of selfish stuff on display again last night...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched replay.

The amount of times we turn it over, kick to opposition or just take the wrong options is a major concern

Our skills are very poor

Not sure it’s skill Soap, I think our 1 wood has been worked out.

Opposition teams are marking space which is killing our run. The ‘down the line’ has become our thing again.

The skill is giving the team another game plan!

Early bad sign for Carlton was Kennedy as sub.

Writing on the wall for a loss was Carlton's dominance in the first, easy misses for only 1- 8
1-8 against Collingwood was a clear sign we weren't going to win.
To think that we can continually blow our chances like that against Coll'd and still win is fantasy

As close as we got at the end - Carlton did not deserve to win that ... we were terrible.
Stealing the win would have only glossed over our many flaws.

I think with the team they picked the sub role was always going to be one of Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy. The difficult but correct choice should have been Cerra who‘s been way off his best this year due to injury. One silver lining of Cerra being out now is that Kennedy should return to the midfield rotations. It’s no coincidence IMO that we looked our best this game and the season generally when he was part of the main midfielder rotation group along with Cripps, Walsh and Hewett.

Your point (pardon the pun) on goal kicking is well made. Any chance of building an early lead and controlling the game from there on in was done by quarter time. Its a different game when you are 3-4 goals up. Charlie, Harry and Motlop being the primary culprits, all of whom are paid to kick goals, is deeply alarming. Goalkicking has cost us several games over the Voss coaching tenure. Given the personnel I reckon it could cost this current iteration of the club a chance to win a flag.

Last edited:
Yup kick it down the same wing at Marvel and the G,where the dug out is. We know the opposition know exactly where the balls coming out of our defense. It's laughable now the opposition literally set up for it with all their talls. 9 times out of 10 it gets marked by a tall from the opposition or punched over the boundary. I'd love a dollar for every time this scenario played out.
Why not switch it up,get the opposition thinking twice instead of being so predictable?
Frustrating watching it play out time an time again.

Players in safe mode and tbh, there's not much movement happening to give them other options...

Another gripe about it, they don't even bother to look around 90% of the time... almost as if it's an instruction...

Our MC started ****ing around with team selection for baffling reasons 6 or so weeks ago (the dropping of Hewett was the start) and ever since then we've lost all sort of team cohesion.

Called it at the time that this was going to be a wasted season and was laughed at for the "melts". Yet here we are.
Okay, this'd be about the third/fourth time you've gone the 'I was right!' in here. At some point, someone is going to ask for receipts FYI, but I'd like to take another tack.

Say, you definitely were correct and you absolutely did what you're saying you did. Are you happy to be proven right? Satisfied?

I don't see the point of these posts, with the 'I said this weeks ago and got laughed at' stuff. On this site, you're guaranteed to be laughed at about pretty much anything. People can and will laugh at this post. You could post anything from a premiership prediction for Nth last year and someone hitting the LOL react by mistake on a serious post or doing it without thinking.

In the end, what do you want out of this? The acknowledgement that you were right? Even if I conceded that you were right - and I don't - why on EARTH would that be more satisfying than being wrong and Carlton having performed better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back