Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, this'd be about the third/fourth time you've gone the 'I was right!' in here. At some point, someone is going to ask for receipts FYI, but I'd like to take another tack.

Say, you definitely were correct and you absolutely did what you're saying you did. Are you happy to be proven right? Satisfied?

I don't see the point of these posts, with the 'I said this weeks ago and got laughed at' stuff. On this site, you're guaranteed to be laughed at about pretty much anything. People can and will laugh at this post. You could post anything from a premiership prediction for Nth last year and someone hitting the LOL react by mistake on a serious post or doing it without thinking.

In the end, what do you want out of this? The acknowledgement that you were right? Even if I conceded that you were right - and I don't - why on EARTH would that be more satisfying than being wrong and Carlton having performed better?

Maybe he wants to be taken more seriously from now on...

The season isn’t over until it’s over, we can still finish top 4 or just as easily miss finals, things are tight.

We will make finals, is no sure thing, we need to win 2 out of 3 or we will struggle, a loss next week and it could be curtains.

What was your range at the start of the season? I thought top 4 at least but what was your range 4 weeks ago?

With every game the probability and expectation changes, after round 18 with 12 wins on the board, we should have been expecting a lot more than 1-2 wins from the next 6 matches.

These issues aren’t new, we’ve had them all year, our wins have papered over our massive defensive issues, now it’s catching up with us.

Lots and lots of variables. Injuries, form, opposition are different every week. It’s a fine line

If it was so easy to work out people would pick 8 winners each week

6 weeks ago people were questioning Hawks list, Ken Hinkley at Port and Swans were easily flag favourites.

I was very hopeful at start of year based on how we finished last year. Issue is it’s a lot easier to go from 12th to 4th than it is from 4th to 1st

Voss said last night he was as pleased with the effort and it was the best we’ve played in 4 weeks. Yet, we couldn’t beat a side not in the 8. 😳

This is the reality of where we are now

The irony of adding a turnover based game plan for when our pure pressure based game plan wasn't working but somehow turning the ball over constantly is something.

Layers are meant to be gears, choose the right option for the opponent, the match, the phase of the quarter.

Maybe our players only have the capacity for one plan? Maybe our coaches can't enumerate multiple strategies?
I think our players are poor when it comes to making good decisions in high pressure situations…occasionally they do it and it looks good but it seemingly falls done with costly errors and the momentum swings.

I think it’s a case of not drilling for various options based on oppos strengths.

Weekly reminder that when you kick a goal you gather momentum, the ball goes back to the centre with a 6-6-6 setup, and the team with momentum has even more chance of that continuing.
Weekly reminder that missing easy set shots deflates confidence and momentum, give the oppo heart and belief and an ability to flood back and thrust forward (as they did with great success 2-3 times)

Confidence is helpful but when the ball goes back to the centre everything is even money.

Like tossing a coin.

Not sure it’s skill Soap, I think our 1 wood has been worked out.

Opposition teams are marking space which is killing our run. The ‘down the line’ has become our thing again.

The skill is giving the team another game plan!
This was very evident watching from the wing. No space to run. The opposition when on the mark nearly always had 2 mates beside them marking space, especially between the arch’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it’s skill Soap, I think our 1 wood has been worked out.

Opposition teams are marking space which is killing our run. The ‘down the line’ has become our thing again.

The skill is giving the team another game plan!

True but I still believe our skill level is very poor especially under any pressure

Who in our side is an elite or very good ball user?

Can’t say I didn’t get sucked in to raising my expectations, especially looking at our draw

Unfortunately for us, our draw ended up being a lot tougher than expected...

Giants, Dogs and Port all found a spark when their season/aspirations were under threat.

Hawks are on fire lately too... had we played them in the first 10 rounds or so we would've won fairly comfortably. Now I'm confident we are going to lose to them...

Gonna keep a keen eye on the Saints today too... if they knock off the Lions... then that means they are a massive threat in the final round.

Unfortunately for us, our draw ended up being a lot tougher than expected...

Giants, Dogs and Port all found a spark when their season/aspirations were under threat.

Hawks are on fire lately too... had we played them in the first 10 rounds or so we would've won fairly comfortably. Now I'm confident we are going to lose to them...

Gonna keep a keen eye on the Saints today too... if they knock off the Lions... then that means they are a massive threat in the final round.
What caused a sudden turnaround in our form after 1Q against GWS?

We were on fire up until that point and we prolly would have won at least 2-3 of past 4.

Other teams improve that’s fair but in our case we went from a top 2 side to a side that’s struggling to make the 8.

Intriguing how things swing around in one season.

What caused a sudden turnaround in our form after 1Q against GWS?

We were on fire up until that point and we prolly would have won at least 2-3 of past 4.

Other teams improve that’s fair but in our case we went from a top 2 side to a side that’s struggling to make the 8.

Intriguing how things swing around in one season.

Players mindset probably. No different to last year in a lot of ways except in reverse. They got comfortable and stopped working hard. They thought they could click into gear whenever they needed to but the competition didn’t allow it to happen. Then when results went against we lost our confidence and went into our shells. It can of course turn back - and maybe the last quarter from last night provides a glimmer of hope that it can - but time is starting to run out.

The warning signs were there for everyone to see in that horrid round 1 win against Richmond. We should’ve pounded them after the Gabba win, but instead we took the foot off the throat and just scrapped home. It’s why missing finals might not be the worst thing long term for this group. It should make them angry, relentless and focussed. They got a taste of September last year only for it be taken away. It’s not their right to think they can just roll up and have success.

Great sides have numbers of players that other clubs want which enables you to move your list around -- the problem we have is the only players clubs really want we can't afford to lose -
Outside our top five to six we probably a below average list ..
We need everything going our way and the top end really firing to compete at pointy end..
but please work out how to defend kick ins and transition from kick outs - was probably the difference in the game tonight (again)

Okay, this'd be about the third/fourth time you've gone the 'I was right!' in here. At some point, someone is going to ask for receipts FYI, but I'd like to take another tack.

Say, you definitely were correct and you absolutely did what you're saying you did. Are you happy to be proven right? Satisfied?

I don't see the point of these posts, with the 'I said this weeks ago and got laughed at' stuff. On this site, you're guaranteed to be laughed at about pretty much anything. People can and will laugh at this post. You could post anything from a premiership prediction for Nth last year and someone hitting the LOL react by mistake on a serious post or doing it without thinking.

In the end, what do you want out of this? The acknowledgement that you were right? Even if I conceded that you were right - and I don't - why on EARTH would that be more satisfying than being wrong and Carlton having performed better?

If I had a dollar for every time someone said they stated something and was laughed at, bullied, run out of town ...

These things usually have an element of truth, a lot of hyperbole, and missing context.

The reality is that just about every opinion posted here, has some support even if unpopular, and someone else has already expressed the opinion somewhere else.

None of us are oracles. We get as much wrong as we get right ... even if we don't admit it.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said they stated something and was laughed at, bullied, run out of town ...

These things usually have an element of truth, a lot of hyperbole, and missing context.

The reality is that just about every opinion posted here, has some support even if unpopular, and someone else has already expressed the opinion somewhere else.

None of us are oracles. We get as much wrong as we get right ... even if we don't admit it.
True across the board except for me…when was the last time I was wrong?

True but the ones we get Wrong are often highlighted whilst what we get right is ignored 😎

Players in safe mode and tbh, there's not much movement happening to give them other options...

Another gripe about it, they don't even bother to look around 90% of the time... almost as if it's an instruction...
100 percent!
It's pretty funny,sitting in the reserved seats for donkeys years watching the play being played out on the opposite side of the ground/wing year in year out i'm almost tempted to change my seats to the other side of the ground to get my moneys worth😁
In all seriousness though,even when we have 2 to 3 plays on their own on the other wing,they're just completely ignored.
Has to be instructed by the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back