Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think its dramatic at all, we have played two good quarters all year, we are riddled with injuries, I’d be shocked if we finished above 7th.
18 games left. 14 wins at best gets u 7th. So you think cause of one game where we were wasteful and the other took their chances we can’t go better than 10-8 for the rest of the year?

I mean fair enough but that’s pretty surprising. I’m as annoyed as anyone with that loss as said before but let’s not completely lose faith on these boys

Problem is none of the small forwards we have can take a mark, and are not strong lead up forwards, Martin can help but how many games will we get out of him.
All our small forwards were horribly outsized today, their direct opponents intercepted and congested Charlie & Harry’s space all game.

The loss really has soured people's views...

Reality is, we haven't kicked into gear all year yet. Today was no different other than the result.

Injuries don't help, but that is a rubbish excuse given how many best 22 players were missing last year and we were still beating top 4 sides...

This was a very bad game to drop with the next couple of months we have. One thing that absolutely must change is our mindset, we really don't know how to put teams away, always leave the door open and tonight it cost us big time.

Whole host of other problems too... defensively we looked an absolute shambles at times. It's not only the amount of i50 marks we allowed, but the positions they were taking them... very alarming. Fogarty tackle pressure was sorely missed too...

Onto next week we go, I suggest they find something within and lift if they don't want to get beaten 2 weeks in a row...

Carlton mid kicks to Charlie/Harry and four Crows defenders. Crow mid kicks to Walker … 1:1 with Weitering.
Self preservation by McGovern/Kemp? Or team orders?
Pity McGovern looks like being sidelined as we could have the Marchbank v Kemp discussion again this week. At least we’ll get to compare them side by side soon.

Hot stat - in the last two years we are 11-0-1 and unbeaten without Sam Walsh, and we have dropped to 8-11 with him in the team. Two of those wins were against West Coast.

Not totally sure what this means except that his return last year coincided with the wheels falling off after having hung on for some close.wins (against less than spectacular opposition) in the weeks prior.

I don't think it is correlation, more us coming into the season poorly prepared, having some flaws that opposition teams take 3-4 weeks to exploit, and things just tipping over from ok to bad, just as he finally gets himself fit. Walsh isn't a player whose presence changes us - he's a great player but goes eith the flow (one of his biggest strengths).

This is what I'm talking about. Papley is a genius at reading the ball off packs. We don't have that at the moment, and I'm not entirely sure we have it on our list. Motlop can but not at speed like Papley. He's almost Rod Ashman-like quality at that aspect.
I know he excites a lot of our posters but I don’t have much hope for Motlop tbh, I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but too oft doesn’t know where to go imo.
what can we do about it though.
Maybe we should have been happy to pay overs for Gresham.
I don’t mind Orazio as he is smart but isn’t getting much of it.
Shoulda gone for ginnvan..hawks fan tho

18 games left. 14 wins at best gets u 7th. So you think cause of one game where we were wasteful and the other took their chances we can’t go better than 10-8 for the rest of the year?

I mean fair enough but that’s pretty surprising. I’m as annoyed as anyone with that loss as said before but let’s not completely lose faith on these boys

I think its more likely than not that are 4-5 and I don’t think that’s dramatic.

I just looked at our VFL side for tomorrow.

The cupboard is bare.

Cowan, Young and Binns.

That is literally it.
Pretty sure there are 6-8 players unavailable, our depth on the list is not a issue. More about addressing a couple of ongoing list deficiencies small/mid sized forward is a clear issue .

I'm starting to fear that we're simply not that good, certainly not where we hoped to be after last season. Sure we've banked some wins but we've been lucky. And looking at the fixture it could be a while before we win again considering our form and injuries.

Obviously our clearance work has been a major drop off. So frustrating to see us get first hands on the ball but not manage to execute cleanly so often this season. I don't blame anyone (including myself) for dreaming of a 2024 flag but we just haven't looked like it thus far. Sometimes it takes a loss to admit it. TBH even if we limped over the line I'd be pretty irritated by this performance. Dropping this game in the light of our next 5 weeks in brutal.

It feels like we’re a side trying to find the right balance and not quite there yet. Through the first few rounds we’ve improved our turnover game but the clearance game has deserted us. We bring in Pittonet and the clearance game comes back to a degree but we get slower over the field and the transition game suffers. This also made Harry less effective than he has been in recent weeks as he didn’t push up the ground as high to get involved. It also meant TDK was often in the leading lanes of Charlie and Harry when forward. For mine, the two rucks doesn’t work with our list makeup.

What I have noticed is we often go into our shells when the game isn’t fully on our terms and refuse to take on the risky kick and our ball movement becomes glacial as a result. Hence we end up dump kicking forward and praying for a Harry or Charlie pack mark. With the talent we have we really should be getting much easier looks at goal. Whenever our two towers lead up at the ball and we move it quickly it looks lethal.

Carlton mid kicks to Charlie/Harry and four Crows defenders. Crow mid kicks to Walker … 1:1 with Weitering.
Self preservation by McGovern/Kemp? Or team orders?
Pity McGovern looks like being sidelined as we could have the Marchbank v Kemp discussion again this week. At least we’ll get to compare them side by side soon.
Quite often Weitering was 10 metres away. We are stuck in a zoning defence and comical communication.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like we’re a side trying to find the right balance and not quite there yet. Through the first few rounds we’ve improved our turnover game but the clearance game has deserted us. We bring in Pittonet and the clearance game comes back to a degree but we get slower over the field and the transition game suffers. This also made Harry less effective than he has been in recent weeks as he didn’t push up the ground as high to get involved. It also meant TDK was often in the leading lanes of Charlie and Harry when forward. For mine, the two rucks doesn’t work with our list makeup.

What I have noticed is we often go into our shells when the game isn’t fully on our terms and refuse to take on the risky kick and our ball movement becomes glacial as a result. Hence we end up dump kicking forward and praying for a Harry or Charlie pack mark. With the talent we have we really should be getting much easier looks at goal. Whenever our two towers lead up at the ball and we move it quickly it looks lethal.

In relation to the second paragraph.

I think we lack the list talent on elite/risky kicks. This really goes to our HBs, and mids. Cripps cant. Acres can't etc. Others are just average kicks like Walsh. Useful, but not great. McGovern maybe but always coughs up a howler. Kemp does howlers. Weitering throws in a howler. Ollie cant find the ball enough to attempt an elite kick.

This simply leaves us where we are. Lacking confidence at times.

Quite often Weitering was 10 metres away. We are stuck in a zoning defence and comical communication.

We haven't been.

It looked like Weitering was under instruction to sit that far off Walker. There can be no oth explanation.

We really struggled early man to man woth the way they broke off the front of stoppages - they are the ultimate downhill skiers and were just ripping us up. I think we zoned off more to try and slow them up when they were coming downhill but nothing really worked.

The patch where we got on top was late 3rd, early 4th quarter where our forward pressure was good (and when Harry had a stint in the ruck). Nothing else slowed them and we were off in that aspect.

We also jmhave just lost some confidence with the ball, and ended up with some bad mistakes in the backline (both last week and this). If we just swallow up that mark on the boundary line chances are we win the game.

We lost by 1 kick, it's difficult to dissect that type of game

I thought we over committed defensively, play too high on our opposition

We were poor on the outlet, but it wasn't a total fail

Oh, so we did do something wrong in your eyes? Is that something we can discuss and analyse or is merely saying it enough, and move on?

If you found something wrong, you've found something you would like the team to address, yes?

Not a lot different to what others are spotting and discussing, and hoping we address.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Back