Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We got no delay on the ball in the midfield - every clearance was too easy and it lead to clean and direct i50 entries

Nothing wrong with playing 1 on 1 for even 10-15 minutes to gain some control back on the game and your opponent.

We didn’t look to adjust our defensive structure once. It was obvious Tex was going to have a massive day from early on. I get we want to “play our own way” but you also have to adapt and change things based on the way a game is playing out.

Coaching and leadership was just really poor today, talent and experience not enough when the comp is so even.

In relation to the second paragraph.

I think we lack the list talent on elite/risky kicks. This really goes to our HBs, and mids. Cripps cant. Acres can't etc. Others are just average kicks like Walsh. Useful, but not great. McGovern maybe but always coughs up a howler. Kemp does howlers. Weitering throws in a howler. Ollie cant find the ball enough to attempt an elite kick.

This simply leaves us where we are. Lacking confidence at times.

It’s a fair point. Really should be looking at list additions with polish all across the ground. I’d heavily target Isaac Cumming as a FA.

You’re right about our wings and mids not being polished enough by foot. It’s honestly a bit of a problem. We love the guys in our midfield but the balance is off. Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra, Acres, Carroll all of whom don’t have great pace or polish. You could argue Cerra as being a good kick but he’s also prone to some howlers.

We were switched off from the start
They ran, we didn't
Their fwds had sooooooo much space to work in. Ours are ALWAYS crowded
Our trio of Fantasia, Durdin and Owies are the worst crumbing fwds in the AFL. Once Charlie or Harry drop the ball, it is mopped up with ease (happens every flowering week)
The Pitto decision was either arrogant or panicky. Did Voss worry about OBrien from last year?
We have a one paced midfield, Cerra is out and walsh coming back, and we bring in a statue in Pitto!!!
Given the point above WhyTF is Carroll sub???????? Could've been any one of our 4 useless small fwds or even O Hollands
We needed all midfield hands on deck from the first bounce

Got what we deserved. I don't care about the last 5 minutes and mistakes made, or even the fact that we had more scoring shots. Just did not have the right killer vibe today from the first bounce and paid price. Adelaide felt they were in the game from the beginning

We threw away 4 points we needed to bank and now with an increasing injury list, are in a parlous predicament with so many big games coming u

We got no delay on the ball in the midfield - every clearance was too easy and it lead to clean and direct i50 entries
Yep. For all pour increased scoring from clearance, I thought we were beaten in the middle again today, especially noticeable at centre-bounces. Like most here, I was inclined to point the finger at De Koning in the first few rounds... but our connection seems to be way off, and I'm not sure it's the ruckman that's the problem. I would like to see Cerra closer to the ball (when fit), and I barely sighted Carroll today. Cripps is down, and today Hewett could not cover for him. I am not a great Kennedy fan, but I thought he was good today, in all his roles.

But what I'd really like to see is the close-in handpasses restricted to those instances where they will actually find a team-mate in better position (Fogarty is good at this), rather than having 4 one-metre handpasses every stoppage just for the sake of it (like today). The number of times we won the ball, then fed it to the only in-close player who was under pressure, did my head in. People have been critical of our back six today, and that's fair, but it felt like we kept conceding turnovers inside stoppages that we had already "won", and defenders running to take up attacking positions were caught out.

We are too Charlie and Harry conscious.

We lack that third tall that everyone talks about but our delivery inside 50 tonight was horrible.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've said this many times, but it seemed more obvious at the game tonight. What's makes it worse is that some of our entries are putrid and that our smalls don't offer us much when the ball hits the deck.

He’s a young mid with massive upside, clearly has more time in traffic than most, beautiful by foot - who cost us nothing.

I think we lucked out.
Not doubting he has some talent but pretty sure his recruitment was to be that mid sized forward this year, not convinced he is going to fill this gap this year in this role.

Oh, so we did do something wrong in your eyes? Is that something we can discuss and analyse or is merely saying it enough, and move on?

If you found something wrong, you've found something you would like the team to address, yes?

Not a lot different to what others are spotting and discussing, and hoping we address.

It's a fine line isn't it?

Last week we lost most metrics compared to this week

Perhaps we could have impacted their scoring accuracy more, or we have converted better as a side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps we could have impacted their scoring accuracy more, or we have converted better as a side

Whatever it was, we still lost. And we simply shouldn't have.
Fine line, yes.
But it shouldn't been that way.

I've said this many times, but it seemed more obvious at the game tonight. What's makes it worse is that some of our entries are putrid and that our smalls don't offer us much when the ball hits the deck.

Yes but no half forwards right? They put kennedy in mid to help us with clearances.

Our HF line was HollandsE, Durdin and some other small. Shocking.

So you play a thifd tall which didnt work today or find another mid sizer, which we dont have. Maybe Kemp but they want him to learn in defence.

No martin, JSOS hurting that structure

I think the biggest reason I hate losing to the Crows is watching all our brave supporters queuing up to call Walker ‘racist’ from the comfort of their keyboards.

If the full story ever comes out around that incident i think a few would change their tune.

But back to our own team, our small forwards are obviously our achilles heel, and it showed again today. Even a half-decent small would thrive on the spillages Harry and Charlie create and the players they draw.

Had high hopes for Fantasia but it speaks volumes that he’s still getting a game in our side.
Couldn’t imagine any circumstance where it’s appropriate to say what he said…

Felt Voss presser was good and fair. We (as a whole side) defended very poorly.

Injuries are really throwing us out of whack.

It’s not a great mystery. We don’t have anywhere near our best team available.

I would say our 6,7,8,9th and 10th best players are Saad, Doc, Cerra, Gov and Martin (when fit). Most didn’t play this week and none will next.

It means Pitto Carroll Fantasia etc play instead and the gap between the ones missing vss those is way too wide.

Especially when you add that Motlop Marchy and Cuners are all better than those replacements too.

I think we are a top 2 side with a good (or average to afl) injury run and 5th to 8th with the run we are having.

Inside 50 marks 18 to us 11 to them. A lot of their marks were as a result of lowering their eyes upon entry. Our backs gave up too much space to their forwards . A lot of their successful kicks at goal taken from far better angles. I though we really struggled defensively when at first Saad went off, then in last Gov both with hammys. From there-on we had a makeshift backline. Game over.

Quite often Weitering was 10 metres away. We are stuck in a zoning defence and comical communication.
we probably were but Gov was way too loose on his man again and did next to nothing in helping out Weitering anytime.
The double teaming on Curnow and Harry should have left other options but we continue to bang it in long to them, rather than looking for other options.
Still it was only our inaccuracy that kept the Crows in it.

If we overcommitted defensively or played too high, we probably could have stemmed their forward entries by not doing that and therefore grant them tougher shots.

We certainly seemed to lose shape out there a lot.

Exactly Soap, we desperately need a third forward target. This would have been the perfect game to debut Moir. We most certainly lost this game at the selection table. Selecting Pitt to play today was an absolute disaster imo.

Moir could fluke a goal and still match Fantasia's output. We really don't have a lot to lose.

Yep. Mind you, the two easiest set-shot misses all day were by Keays and McHenry - Crows should have kicked 18.2, really.

Glass half full: we went a long way away from how we want to play, or should be playing, but nearly won anyway. And some of our less experienced players (Boyd and Kemp) continue to develop well. Unfortunate that Kemp's game will be remembered for the mix-up with Williams, because before that he had been excellent, despite the lack of coverage afforded to him by the midfield.

Anyway. Last week and this week, 1-0-1 seems about right. Next week we get to respond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Back