Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

So... the upshot of that comment is that you don't like winning? Do you want us to go back to losing? 1 point or 100 points... a win is a win is 4 points.

I go on my emotion on what I think of whether a game was good, bad or indifferent….and I was absolutely fuming walking out of the ground tonight.
Yeah we won, but it so felt like a loss

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So we are 6&3 - having just beaten (albeit by one glorious point) a team likely to finish top 4.

We’ve played two other likely’s the previous two weeks - played some great footy, but lost by 6 & 13 points.

This with the leagues worst injury list!

Are we perfect - far from it.

Are we perfect at times - yes!

We’ve got 14 weeks to work on bringing that perfection for longer.

As the past few weeks has shown - none of the contenders are perfect either. Maybe we are setting the bar too high?

I can’t wait to see us play the swannies - bring it on!

It was tighter than we'd have liked but you bank the 4 points and move on.
We beat a quality side, I'll take it.
Have a good night folks. :thumbsu:

I fear some won't be having a good night. I will. If you offered me a 1 point win at the start of the night, I'd take it and run away giggling like a St Trinian's schoolgirl.

We had a inside 50 differential similar to that against the cats in our favour. But we lost.

The score board is the only stat that really matters in the end.
I think the improvement in efficiency was what was the difference between winning and losing.
Transition improved, inside 50 delivery improved, tackling efficiency (yes, that's a thing for me!) improved. Our shots on goal were better because all the above improved.

The first half was a wet weather clinic but you'll never get 4 quarters all your own way against the best side in the competition.

I like the win but we have to fix our composure when the pressure comes...last 10 minutes,

Weitering smothered, Gov kicking down the centre when we are in front by 24, Cripps handball to no one instead of taking the tackle..all the time in the world and Hewitt kicks high to Durdin on Lever! Ollie run down, Newman indiscipline, Kemp trying to pack mark rather than punch, Walsh hack kick, we must be able to do to the basics! You match that IQ vs Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Daicos, Elliott...Stewart, Cameron, Hawkins, Danger, Guthrie... I loved the win but these are in our control. I really would love us to make less of these self inflicted errors.

So we are 6&3 - having just beaten (albeit by one glorious point) a team likely to finish top 4.

We’ve played two other likely’s the previous two weeks - played some great footy, but lost by 6 & 13 points.

This with the leagues worst injury list!

Are we perfect - far from it.

Are we perfect at times - yes!

We’ve got 14 weeks to work on bringing that perfection for longer.

As the past few weeks has shown - none of the contenders are perfect either. Maybe we are setting the bar too high?

I can’t wait to see us play the swannies - bring it on!

I see it as us just having to hold on until our list is fit and our pieces are all in place, and come home with a wet sail.

We should be nowhere near it with the injuries we have had, but the system allows us to stay in games always, and allows role players to shine.

Well beat the Swans next week. They have some special players like Blakey, Guilden and Heeney.

But if mccartin isn't playing (or even if he us) I can't see how they can stop our talls up forward . And I can't see how Amartey, Maclean and the likes can worry our defenders too much.

Just quietly Freo are a chance to beat them tomorrow night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bizarre take on what I've written here, and is a rewriting of last year's second half resurgence.

Cripps has improved in terms of these pain points because he's not hatching terrible kicks as often, but his key mistakes in games relate to failing to take a solid first option.

You don't pay midfielders at that level for them to hatch the footy when they have someone in space.

Williams isn't exactly in sparkling form so they didn't have to be a world beater, especially in a team that had 7 defenders already.

Wilson and Carroll could have helped us out on the aggregate instead of Kennedy, Cowan, or maybe Pittonet and instituting a slightly different plan at the stoppage, particularly given the impact Gawn had for them and McKay had for us.

Jim, perhaps you need to accept that we are a team on the rise, and rather than focus on our work in progress areas, focus on the incremental improvements

Wilson and Carroll aren't getting games ahead of Kennedy, or even Hewett. Just like Williamson wasn't getting games ahead of Newman

Boyd is also a lock, has been for a while

Pitto destroyed Gawn early, helped to setup a win

We are not in rebuild mode, we are in win mode

Last edited:
The "take the win" mentality is why we'll never be serious contenders.

I'm actually shocked that people could celebrate that. We just got seriously exposed.

Firstly, nothing we supporters feel after a win is going to impact the team. They'll be happy to bank 4 points and be acutely aware we nearly threw it away.

Did Melbourne get seriously exposed? I mean they gave up 5 goals in the first quarter and didn't score, and they ended up losing the match?

So we exposed them when both teams were fresh, and they exposed us when we ran out of legs? I'd rather be us.

I see it as us just having to hold on until our list is fit and our pieces are all in place, and come home with a wet sail.

We should be nowhere near it with the injuries we have had, but the system allows us to stay in games always, and allows role players to shine.
i see it that way too, like a build and momentum, hopefully most players come back

This is a bizarre take on what I've written here, and is a rewriting of last year's second half resurgence.

Cripps has improved in terms of these pain points because he's not hatching terrible kicks as often, but his key mistakes in games relate to failing to take a solid first option.

You don't pay midfielders at that level for them to hatch the footy when they have someone in space.

Williams isn't exactly in sparkling form so they didn't have to be a world beater, especially in a team that had 7 defenders already.

Wilson and Carroll could have helped us out on the aggregate instead of Kennedy, Cowan, or maybe Pittonet and instituting a slightly different plan at the stoppage, particularly given the impact Gawn had for them and McKay had for us.
Expecting Wilson to come into this game and impact it is as likely as expecting the same from Binns in his first.

With Ollie already being muscled off the ball - we didn’t need another young body struggling along side him.

Carrol may well get his chance next week - but an outside runner he is not.

I thought cunners was good offensively last week, clearly poor defensively - no problem if they feel the need to teach him an important lesson.

There’s no arrogance in this team - how many games have we won/lost now under 10 points over the last year ?

Last edited:
Because I'm a negative Nancy.

Fine.

But life is hard enough as it is, so when my team - who have been garbage for two decades - win by a point against an opposition that used to tear us to shreds I take joy in that. Even if in the last 10 minutes we lost the plot and let them back in the team.

And it’s not like any of us here can’t see that we’re not in great form; that we’re struggling for consistency across a game; that we seem to lose the plot for whole quarters.

It’s not about celebrating mediocrity - that would be celebrating honourable losses (a thing we often did only 2 or 3 years ago), it’s about enjoying the wins, no matter how ugly or tough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fine.

But life is hard enough as it is, so when my team - who have been garbage for two decades - win by a point against an opposition that used to tear us to shreds I take joy in that. Even if in the last 10 minutes we lost the plot and let them back in the team.

And it’s not like any of us here can’t see that we’re not in great form; that we’re struggling for consistency across a game; that we seem to lose the plot for whole quarters.

It’s not about celebrating mediocrity - that would be celebrating honourable losses (a thing we often did only 2 or 3 years ago), it’s about enjoying the wins, no matter how ugly or tough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fair point

Prem
Yet we have beaten two teams inside the top 4. One of which was top of the ladder when we met them and undefeated

Yet we have beaten two teams inside the top 4. One of which was top of the ladder when we met them and undefeated
Hard to win premierships when 6 players make basic errors, that cost games. Very lucky tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Back