Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

I couldn’t agree more, others like sky horse tamer have made similar points in this thread. We are trying to “hold on” for far too long and because of this, we are the most susceptible of the top 6 or so teams to losing a game when 3-4 goals up.

You see it in every sport, with teams like Brady’s NE Patriots or peak Fergie ManU. The team that has outplayed them for the bulk of the game become too conservative too early and they smell blood. It’s a mindset change that can be difficult to undo.

We are clearly extremely well coached at closing out games in the last minute or so (whether we are up or down by less than a goal), but we change mode way too early in games.
The good thing is I trust Voss and Hansen to recognise this, learn from it and change strategy accordingly.

Dees had a 5 day break.

We had 6.

That quarter was nothing short of putrid. I am actually fuming.
We play such a high-pressure game when we are on. Issue is it is exhausting and take until later in the year when we are peaked when we can do it for a whole game. We were just utterly out of legs. All 3 Richmond premiership years they were ordinary until about July. Took them until late to get into the top 4. They played a very high-octane pressure and hence took most of the season to go 100 minutes. Think we will be similar.

The errors are not a one off and the best don't make them. We are good side but I am looking at this through a premiership lense
Agree from that lens we are missing killer instinct and consistency of mindset and application (and consistent 4 quarter efforts).

What I take solace in is that last year GWS and us we're quite bad at this stage of the season and almost made the GF (still think GWS would've won it if umpires weren't so Toby biased).

Then Brisbane 2001 were so so and went on a 16 game winning streak. Richmond 2017 was laughing at their close game chokes and post round 9 they went on a roll.

A lot of us viewed that 2nd half of 2023 was finally that turning point and 2024 would bring upon consistency and stability of application. Combination of injuries, still tinkering with "layers" I'm sure has had impact but still feel we're reactive to what other teams are doing too much.

Next 5 weeks focus should start being on 4 quarter efforts, cementing our style for 2024 and getting on another 2023esque roll.

Would be a shame to waste this season with start we've had or could've had and the momentum we've gathered in the last 11 months. It's up to the players collectively to buy in fully and for the coaches to keep them focused and in tune.

Wins this year...1pt, 5, 56, 10, 19, 1. Last 4 wins last year, 4pts, 4, 6, 2. Losses this year, 2, 14, 6. That's nasty for a supporter....haha.

Outside of North, the only time we were comfortable late was against GWS. Even then we had to come from 20pts behind. Not only that, but I have also been scarred so badly the last 20 years that my sphincter was still in spasm with 90 seconds to go...haha.

Yes a top 6 side, which is not the worst. The Voss era is successful. I am looking at this through a premiership lense, and have my doubts.
We don't know that until later in the season until all sides are peaked. It's a marathon, not a sprint and you have to build to your best. No-one would have been thinking a Richmond a flag all 3 of their premiership years at this point of the year. Different when they peaked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reserves thread?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s been up since yesterday

A couple of things we can improve on is our discipline, the late hit after the kick, it cost us 2 goals with down field free kicks. As soft as they might have been it takes away momentum and allows an easy shot on goal.
Smothers when they are required and spoiling when out of position, Melbourne did not stop smothering all night, we give up on it too easily. Sometimes the most basic action is often the best method of defence and attached

Nope, sorry. Unless you are just talking about the past 15-20 years.

Edit to add, it's difficult to judge things like this before the end of a player's career.
Cripps absolutely is up there with our best ever

Whenever we try to absorb pressure like Voss talks about we are the most heavily scored against team in the league LOL.

How about trying to make it less obvious we are going into "absorb pressure" mode so that our opposition can't flood players forward knowing we have no hope of getting it out of our backline?

Dumb question but the why don’t we try the short switch out of defence instead of repeatedly bombing to the wing and then unexplainably have no numbers at the feet of the tall we are aiming at….only for it to be blasted back deep into D50

I reckon we could have tried the switch at least once to try and break up the zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cripps absolutely is up there with our best ever

Not sure that the OP was talking about a best player, he grouped 4 players together and asked if they were the best 4 to play together....at least that's they way I read it?

If that's what they meant I'd say Kernahan , SOS, Diesel and Bradley were better as a quartet.

As far as Cripps goes, I'd probably have him at the bottom rungs of our top ten ever, I don't have him amongst our best 5 or 6. That isn't bad by the way, we have had a lot of amazing players represent our club.

Of course, there are no right answers to questions like this, it's all very subjective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Back