Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

I know people love him but McGovern leaked goals last night. He is our weakest link. I lost count of the amount of times his direct opponent was used.

One of our best and most important defenders. I'll give him a pass in his first game back, will be much better for the run. Elite.

It’s been up since yesterday

My bad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure that the OP was talking about a best player, he grouped 4 players together and asked if they were the best 4 to play together....at least that's they way I read it?

If that's what they meant I'd say Kernahan , SOS, Diesel and Bradley were better as a quartet.

As far as Cripps goes, I'd probably have him at the bottom rungs of our top ten ever, I don't have him amongst our best 5 or 6. That isn't bad by the way, we have had a lot of amazing players represent our club.

Of course, there are no right answers to questions like this, it's all very subjective.
I was around for Nicholls, Jesaulenko, Crosswell and Jackson. 2 years later, Nicholls, Jesaulenko, Doull and Southby.

I was around for Nicholls, Jesaulenko, Crosswell and Jackson. 2 years later, Nicholls, Jesaulenko, Doull and Southby.
The second combination you detailed is right up there, I didn't see enough of Crosswell and Jackson at their peaks.

Finally coming up for air after the game, some thoughts:
  • We beat a good team. It may not have been exactly how we wanted it, but we won and we deserved to after setting the game up early.
  • Cripps and Walsh love playing Melbourne who don’t pay them enough respect. Both excellent.
  • Weitering was a brick wall again last night. Didn’t let much get past him.
  • 6 goals in 2 weeks for Owies. Can’t ask for much more.
  • Cincotta was immense. Great attention to detail and dedication to the task.
  • We’re certainly not a finished product and playing at our best but we don’t have to be at round 9. Keep banking wins and look to accelerate into the back half of the season with some key players back and a softer draw than the brutal last few weeks.

Pittonet is a crucial advantage for us
We don't win last night without Pitto
Pitto is like a tactical missile to be deployed in certain circumstances

I for one was against him playing but he has turned it around bigtime. Somone has taught him how to use his strength in the ruck contests over the summer. Now he looks unstoppable. Kudos to whoever pulled that one off.

Not sure that the OP was talking about a best player, he grouped 4 players together and asked if they were the best 4 to play together....at least that's they way I read it?

If that's what they meant I'd say Kernahan , SOS, Diesel and Bradley were better as a quartet.

As far as Cripps goes, I'd probably have him at the bottom rungs of our top ten ever, I don't have him amongst our best 5 or 6. That isn't bad by the way, we have had a lot of amazing players represent our club.

Of course, there are no right answers to questions like this, it's all very subjective.
I'd have Cripps a fair bit higher overall, based on his impact on the club overall . He's been determined to lift our club up to be a genuine contender and has been prepared to do whatever was required to make it happen. That has meant putting the whole club on his back at times.

It was maybe 3 years ago that lethal Leigh was saying that he had a limited future due to way he played. Since then he's won a brownlow, led his team to a prelim and hopefully to the promised land and is playing as well as ever.

There is no recency bias here. My first grand final as a fan was in 1968 and I can genuinely say that I've seen them all.

Patrick Cripps may well end up being one of the most significant on field figures in the history of the Carlton Football Club.

I for one was against him playing but he has turned it around bigtime. Somone has taught him how to use his strength in the ruck contests over the summer. Now he looks unstoppable. Kudos to whoever pulled that one off.
It might be partly due to him looking as though his knees are not restricting him to the extent that they have for quite a few years.

Cripps Walsh weiters Curnow must be close to the best 4 players we have ever had in a side. By the end of their careers they could/should all be multiple all Australian, b&f winners, hopefully premiership players too

Give me any 4 of the following 5 from our 93-96 era

Kernahan- Key Forward
Silvagni- Key Defender
Koutoufides- Utility
Williams- Inside mid
Bradley- Outside mid

Last edited:
I’m not sure he’s not expecting the heat, I actually like the fact he’s looking for the right option and prepared to take a hit to try and get it there.

His teammates would no doubt be telling him he’s hot, it’s a great trait to have in not being worried about getting smashed

I just think his stride and kicking action is one of long and slow motion compared to others

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's very particular about how he holds the ball for a kick, and it seems to cost him a crucial half second a couple of times a game.

I definitely think it's an awareness thing though. Have seen him just throw it on the boot when he knows he has to, but there are those few occasions where a player is bearing down on him from behind, and he's scanning the field ahead of him before adjusting the ball and his stance for the kick. Might need to just develop that habit of the quick head check, or his teammates need to be more aware of it and make sure they're quickly and clearly communicating to him when he needs to act quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The major issue I felt, we went into 'defensive' mode too early in the last.
Agree with others, felt Cincotta and other less names down back like Boyd, Cowan and Kemp (yes KEMP) were huge all night.
Kemp, Gov and Weitering works. Young, Gov and Marchbank works. Weitering, Gov and Marchbank is probably best 22.

Young, Gov and Kemp does not work. Young has this weird thing that requires him to be the only big bloke in the back six; a second tall beats him more often than not, where he's played multiple games as first defender when he's been better than serviceable. Kemp is a wildcard in that sometimes he'll pull of a spectacular mark or play, but he'll also **** up a kick or dispose to someone on the half volley or bite off more than he can chew; I'm convinced a different coach could make him work as that wildcard in the front half, developing his goalsense to the point he's similar to Stringer/Parker/Heeney as a hybrid mid/forward, but I'll settle for a bit of adventurousness out of the back half.

The coaches need to remember the structural synergy that works in our back six. Weitering's only weakness is pace; surround him with mediums who can leap or play a bit taller who can cover the second option and he's invincible.

2 games Pies and Dees.
2 Different results
1 kick the difference.

IMO this is a good sign. Voss is getting us to play differently each week. Experimenting with different roles , different players.
We havent been disgraced in either .
Plently to like in Both games.
Plenty to work on from both games.

Did we really think that Charlie would be let by opposition coaches to continue on his Coleman Rampage without some sort of strategy and push back? Charles is learning to kick goals in different ways.
Harry and Charlie moving further up the ground where they can be real weapons similar to Jeremy Cameron. The key is to have a 3rd tall like TDK so that the one that stays at home isnt swamped.
Then there is Cripps drifting forward too.
Add a dash of Martin who plays tall. Plently of marking power and options.

Defence is evolving still but the cattle are there. We are missing the Doc leadership in defence and middle of the ground.
Weitering and Mcgovern we need these 2 fit and firing. Cornerstones. Kemp and marchbank for the 3rd tall.
Saad and Williams a great running creative pair .
Boyd has taken the next step. Cincotta worked well on his return

So... the upshot of that comment is that you don't like winning? Do you want us to go back to losing? 1 point or 100 points... a win is a win is 4 points.
I disagree. There can be good wins and bad wins. Good losses and bad losses. I like winning but as I said we had an opportunity to win with style and make a statement. Instead we capitulated and showed the world our frailty. I'm happy with the four points and irritated by the performance except for the first quarter which was beautiful.

I saw it very much the same

Question I have is over last two weeks it was obvious early to most that the only chance the opposition had to win was for their Star player to step up. Last week N.Daicos and last night Petracca.

I'd like to know WHY we don't have someone sit on them?

I guess that's the reason they're known as star players - sometimes no matter how hard you try, they just pull the trigger and torch you.

Same phenomenon occurs when fans criticise the team for not ending the game the way we started and winning by 6-10 goals. They forget that there is another team out there doing their own thing, and sometimes what looks like Carlton falling apart is just Melbourne getting their shit together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Back