2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Vlaustin ahead of Sicily imho (no, not trolling my Hawthorn brethren)
Think they’d be at similar levels from performance but how good a team is going taken into it, past performance as I mentioned and recency bias. Vlaustin extremely underrated.

Although I do believe Sicily is better, performance on the year and generally.

B: Nick Blakey - Steven May - Alex Pearce
HB: Dayne Zorko - Jacob Weitering - Max Holmes
C: Errol Gulden - Marcus Bontempelli - Zach Merrett
HF: Izak Rankine - Joe Daniher - Chad Warner
F: Tyson Stengle - Charlie Curnow - Jake Waterman
R: Max Gawn - Isaac Heeney - Nick Daicos
I: Brodie Grundy - Patrick Cripps - Caleb Serong - Adam Treloar

Really like this team think it is pretty close. Personally wouldn’t have Treloar but I can see why. 3 inside mids on the bench seems one or two too many. Probably go for a running defender or another forward personally but that would be the only one I’d query. Great team mate

Houston..Weitering..Clark
Blakey.....Andrews...Zorko
Daicos.....Cripps....Gulden
Warner.....Hogan....Rankine
Stengle....Curnow..Waterman

Gawn...Bontempelli(c)...Heeney

Grundy, Merrett, Serong, Butters

Not far off/Need good second half of season:
LDU, Daniher, Treloar, Neale, Anderson, McGovern, Holmes, Newman, McGrath, Xerri, May, Moore, Langford, Pearce, BKing, HMcKay, DCameron, Flanders, NMartin, Miers, Dale, Ryan, Whitfield, Florent, Rowell, Crisp, Walsh, Vlaustin, Yeo

Too difficult to say who are locks. I just tried to write some locks and pretty much the whole list was mids who could also play forward and just purely mids. Only one I’d say is Curnow at FF.

Here’s my 2nd crack at an AA team:

Dayne Zorko Alex Pearce Lachie Whitfield

Jordan Clark Jacob Weitering Max Holmes

Errol Gulden Patrick Cripps Zach Merrett

Marcus Bont Joe Daniher Chad Warner

Isak Rankine Charlie Curnow Jake Waterman

Max Gawn Isaac Heeney Nick Daicos

Caleb Serong Tyson Stengle Ben King Adam Treloar

Updated Team

B: J.McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Blakey Andrews Zorko
C: Gulden Cripps Merrett
HF: Heeney Daniher Warner
F: Rankine Curnow Waterman
OB: Grundy Bontompelli Daicos
IC: Serong Walsh Butters Gawn

Toughest is the forward line and back flanks.

No small / half forwards have had all australian worthy seasons bar Rankine at this stage (and even he has missed games). Consequently have put Heeney amd Warner on flanks to accomodate more mids.

Newman, Blakey, Zorko could easily have been several others. Depends what you value.

Neale getting close. He would be next in.

Reckon Gawn and Grundy have been good enough to both make the team.

Tall forwards bar Curnow also a bit if a raffle. Several others could still occupy those spots.

Updated Team

No small / half forwards have had all australian worthy seasons bar Rankine at this stage (and even he has missed games). Consequently have put Heeney amd Warner on flanks to accomodate more mids.

Newman, Blakey, Zorko could easily have been several others. Depends what you value.

Tall forwards bar Curnow also a bit if a raffle. Several others could still occupy those spots.
Love the Carlton inclusions mate but a bit optimistic on a few. I’d have Weitering, Charlie and Cripps currently.

Not sure either Weitering or Andrews is a lock, they can be picked but lock? There's a good debate for plenty of key defenders to be picked. He isn't in my side but Pearce would be one. Mids I agree on, though there's usually one weird one. I'd throw Serong in as a lock he's at worst on a bench.
It sounds like you're part of the AA selection panel who has snubbed Weitering a few years in a row.

Updated Team

Grundy is getting a little bit of the minor premiers bonus imo.

He’s been one of the pickups of the year, has absolutely been a contributor in the Swans year, but I think some of the narrative around the rucks this year is a little closed minded. His Rnd 1 game against Gawn and Sydney’s form has sort of set people’s opinions for the year.

Gawn has been the best so far, but even he is suffering from a bit of past season bias.

It’s pretty close between Gawn, Grundy, Xerri and even a few others statistically.

TDK is coming with a rush and has put together by far the best month a ruck has this year and there’s still 9 games to go.

It’s far tighter than most are making out in here.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're part of the AA selection panel who has snubbed Weitering a few years in a row.

Hardly, the reality is he’s a good chance but he did miss 3-4 games already, he couldn’t afford to miss many more he’s probably in the side as it stands but those two key posts are tough to pick

Don’t think he gets enough raw counting stats. Maybe if Essendon prove themselves as a genuine top 4 side in the second half of the season he could get him in but I reckon Nic Martin would be that guy

Probably makes the squad well he’d be very close. Essendon come top 4-5 you can probably say that Merrett, Stringer (squad), Durham (squad), and maybe Martin (borderline squad)

Merrett is a certainty, Stringer some chance for the team

Probably makes the squad well he’d be very close. Essendon come top 4-5 you can probably say that Merrett, Stringer (squad), Durham (squad), and maybe Martin (borderline squad)

Merrett is a certainty, Stringer some chance for the team

Mcgrath would be in extended squad too IMO. Though i dont think Durham and Stringer would be in just yet, borderline at best.

Martin, McGrath and Merrett would be in the extended squad with Merrett being only lock for final atm. we need to have a good end of the year to get anyone else in alongside Merrett though, in the final team.

Mcgrath would be in extended squad too IMO.

but we need to have a good end of the year to get anyone else in alongside Merrett though, in the final team.

Completely forgot him, yes you are correct on that one. Feel Martin misses, too many ahead right now. Would not be against Stringer being in as he's one of the few HFF's that have actually played well this year and they can actually pick a forward there and not plonk a random mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely forgot him, yes you are correct on that one. Feel Martin misses, too many ahead right now. Would not be against Stringer being in as he's one of the few HFF's that have actually played well this year and they can actually pick a forward there and not plonk a random mid

yeah, i am not sure

Martin has been featured in SEN rolling all Australian for a while and dropped out in Round 14, so he's there or there abouts.

I dont think Essendon are going well enough at the moment to have multiple people in the team but for mine 3 of them (Merrett, McGrath and Martin) would be in the current extended squad.

if stringer can get 40-50 goals by the end of the year, i can easily see him in the pocket. i can't see anyone that Durham would knock out.

Still, plenty of footy left though

yeah, i am not sure

Martin has been featured in SEN rolling all Australian for a while and dropped out in Round 14, so he's there or there abouts.

I dont think Essendon are going well enough at the moment to have multiple people in the team but for mine 3 of them (Merrett, McGrath and Martin) would be in the current extended squad.

if stringer can get 40-50 goals by the end of the year, i can easily see him in the pocket. i can't see anyone that Durham would knock out.

Still, plenty of footy left though

100%, I'd be happy if McGrath got in it's about time a small defender was picked, make the team realistic

Fair enough.

But personally I don't rate Serong as a AA to be honest. The stats say he's having a great year but Freo play a lot of keepings off stat padding footy. Good player but there's no way I'd take him ahead of those I listed, or even a few others
Far from it for me, a West Coast fan, to defend Serong, but he's 5th in contested touches a game, and second for clearances per game (behind only Libba who's played 8 games). Not exactly keepy off stat padding type of stuff.

Last edited:
Having my first crack at a mid season side.

FULL BACKLINE
Luke Ryan - Alex Pearce - James Sicily
HALF BACKLINE
Max Holmes - Sam Taylor - Nick Blakey

CENTRELINE
Errol Gulden - Marcus Bontempelli - Zach Merrett
FOLLOWERS
Max Gawn - Nick Daicos - Patrick Cripps

HALF FORWARDLINE
Chad Warner - Charlie Curnow - Isaac Heeney
FULL FORWARDLINE
Dylan Moore - Jake Waterman - Izak Rankine

INTERCHANGE
Brodie Grundy - Caleb Serong - Adam Treloar - Sam Walsh
Interesting you have Walsh in given he's missed 4/14 games so far.

Is that more projection (thinking on current pace he'll be in by the end of the year)? Or do you think he's already earned it?

I personally think he's a good chance to make it by the end, but wouldn't have him in my mid-season 22 yet.

Ah CD, X has had the best four game stretch for a left footed ginger under the age of 26 since 1944.

There’s no need to get touchy.

Sheezel is knocking out 10th season Stevie J numbers at 19 years of age at the moment.

He will get recognised, no doubt about it.

If he plays another 9 games like this, not only will he be on the goal/assist leaderboard at the end of the year but he will have done it from half the games of the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back