2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting you have Walsh in given he's missed 4/14 games so far.

Is that more projection (thinking on current pace he'll be in by the end of the year)? Or do you think he's already earned it?

I personally think he's a good chance to make it by the end, but wouldn't have him in my mid-season 22 yet.
I think he’s been that good so far, Carlton being that good of a side and the fact I projected a few of these players continue their form. Sicily the other one.

bit surprised people are floating names other than gawn for ruck.

hes been so clearly the best ruckman this year. almost singlehandedly holding melbourne up.

dont think any of the other rucks are having sufficiently good years to justify a spot on the bench either.
I'd argue that the swans massive swing in firm to this season is (sorry Tom Hickey) due to having a prime ruck feeding the mids.

He has good clearance and tackle numbers but doesn't get in front of the ball to take marks like Gawn does, mostly due to having McLean Amarety and McDonald ahead of the pill already, but does more ground ball work.

You can make arguments for both, I'd probably pick both.

I'd argue that the swans massive swing in firm to this season is (sorry Tom Hickey) due to having a prime ruck feeding the mids.

He has good clearance and tackle numbers but doesn't get in front of the ball to take marks like Gawn does, mostly due to having McLean Amarety and McDonald ahead of the pill already, but does more ground ball work.

grundy is a massive improvement over hickey and a significant contributor to sydneys improvement

he has not had anywhere near the season gawn has

Interesting you have Walsh in given he's missed 4/14 games so far.

Is that more projection (thinking on current pace he'll be in by the end of the year)? Or do you think he's already earned it?

I personally think he's a good chance to make it by the end, but wouldn't have him in my mid-season 22 yet.
Missed four games although he is top 10 in the coaches votes and Brownlow predictor

You should actually watch some Bulldog games. If you think Naughton was a shell of his former self you just haven't been watching him.

You sound clueless because he's been really good this year. Best form for quite a while.
I haven't watched every bulldogs game (honestly who would?) but the matches I did watch him play, he and his fellow key forwards were running around bumping into each other like it was some kind of clown show.

He's 17th for average goals a game and 32nd for average contested marks. He's 22nd for average Score Involvements. These are not numbers that scream AA.

But maybe your right, maybe he was better this year.

grundy is a massive improvement over hickey and a significant contributor to sydneys improvement

he has not had anywhere near the season gawn has

Easily the second best ruck, you can pick both over picking what would be the 10th or so mid on the bench.

Missed four games although he is top 10 in the coaches votes and Brownlow predictor

He is borderline, but he can't miss too many more you'd assume. Missed 4 and was poor (or at least average if you want to go with that) against us so that's 5. I'd have him on the bench though as his best has been phenomenal though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should actually watch some Bulldog games. If you think Naughton was a shell of his former self you just haven't been watching him.

Agree, now don't get me started on the coaching but when there was only two talls with your half forwards, Naughton has had a severely underrated year before injury.

yeah Grundy surely in. Best value pickup of the last 10 years IMO. Cameron probably more impactful but cost a bunch.

Doesn't shock me he was never a forward it was a bewildering decision to go to Melbourne to sort of be a forward, as a pure no1 ruck he's been brilliant, his back end of the year has been as good as Gawn's front end this season. Pick both, this is one year you can pick both and no one will complain

Naughton nowhere near AA.

With his injury yes, he would have been in the mix without the injury, that so called 3rd tall HFF is a lottery, whilst most before the year would just say Toby Greene lock it in, he's been diabolical so those HFF's are who on earth knows, now I assume one is Bontempelli (I hate this notion but I'm realistic) but the other one who on earth knows. Rankine maybe, Crows have been utterly terrible though. Hayward, been good for us but AA good...doubt it. Going to hate it but watch them pick Warner and Bont on the HFF's.

With his injury yes, he would have been in the mix without the injury, that so called 3rd tall HFF is a lottery, whilst most before the year would just say Toby Greene lock it in, he's been diabolical so those HFF's are who on earth knows, now I assume one is Bontempelli (I hate this notion but I'm realistic) but the other one who on earth knows. Rankine maybe, Crows have been utterly terrible though. Hayward, been good for us but AA good...doubt it. Going to hate it but watch them pick Warner and Bont on the HFF's.

Cornes confirmed on the segment that Naughton still qualifies in the AA meetings, hence why he is also on CD team.

Cornes confirmed in that slot, the formal minimum threshold for AA is 17 games (70%) for the AA selection panel.

Cornes confirmed on the segment that Naughton still qualifies in the AA meetings, hence why he is also on CD team.

Cornes confirmed in that slot, the formal minimum threshold for AA is 17 games (70%) for the AA selection panel.

Yeah he'd be just, but that is USUALLY with 15-17 truely elite games, Naughton has had poor weeks in those games already and you'd assume he wouldn't be at his best the week or two after. He's no chance with the injury. Daniher is the one in that position.

Yeah he'd be just, but that is USUALLY with 15-17 truely elite games, Naughton has had poor weeks in those games already and you'd assume he wouldn't be at his best the week or two after. He's no chance with the injury. Daniher is the one in that position.

I'm merely stating that there is an actual formal selection policy for the AA selectors.

The available selection pool for players are only for those with 17 or more games played for the season.

I don't think I've heard this mentioned publicly before.

I'm merely stating that there is an actual formal selection policy for the AA selectors.

The available selection pool for players are only for those with 17 or more games played for the season.

Vaguely remember it being mentioned the year that Toby missed about 6 games was utterly elite the others and missed out

Doesn't shock me he was never a forward it was a bewildering decision to go to Melbourne to sort of be a forward, as a pure no1 ruck he's been brilliant, his back end of the year has been as good as Gawn's front end this season. Pick both, this is one year you can pick both and no one will complain
They were offered an AA type level player for peanuts, they tried to make it work. It didn't so they moved on. Well worth the try given they needed/and still need, a big forward.

No mention of Sicily? He has been the best defender in the month, which at his best he’s significantly better than anyone else.
Wouldn't have Sicily close at this stage. Missed 2 games and wasn't in great form before his injury. He hasn't even been the best Hawthorn defender this year

I agree with this. Which is funny, because the last team to pick them both, couldn’t make it work.

I agree its the first time I have heard them actually commit to a number (70% of games). Before we've known it was there abouts but never confirmed like that.

It also seems clear that the closer to the threshold you are the more impressive you need to have been in the game played. So its down to a few truely elite seasons. Think the ones that have gone that close are: GAJ and Stewart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back