2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more talk of Jordan Clarke being named along the half back line ….. he’s been great this year
I think it's a very hard position to squeeze into. They might only pick one actual "small defender" back there to squeeze in another mid and The Lizard for mine has been the best by a fair way (dont stats me Ronnie, the eye test means something).

I was more than a little peeved he wasnt in that list of names even discussed though, I think he should be in the squad

Would love access to an unassisted goals stat. Who is the best in the comp at creating goals for themselves from crumbing stoppages and marking contests.

Although the leader would probably be someone who gets the most goals from free kicks

i thought cripps was a poor leader who had never achieved anything in his career besides a tainted brownlow and being too tall with an ugly face and awkward demeanor with not many close friends?
I think you've got me confused with someone else.

I give credit where it's due, regardless of the jumper a player wears.

Something a few Carlton posters could learn from.

Sheezel in. Put him wherever you like idgaf.
Just get him in!
Why not put Sheezel on the half back flank?

He played there for the first 10 games and kicked arse.

The AA selectors love to squeeze midfielders on a half forward flank, especially if they play there for a quarter or two, or for the occasional game (like Bont)

So why not pick Sheezel for one of the HBFs? He played just as well (if not better) in that role as most of the guys that people are naming...

Rating (med defenders)
15.51 Max Holmes
15.38 Harry Sheezel
15.29 Jack Sinclair
14.00 Dan Houston
13.98 Nick Blakey
13.53 Bailey Dale
13.21 Sam Flanders
12.12 Luke Ryan
11.98 Dayne Zorko
11.97 Mitchell Hinge
11.49 Nasiah Wanganeen
11.47 Brayden Maynard
11.44 Nic Martin
11.21 Daniel Rioli
10.96 Tom Stewart
10.76 Nick Vlastuin
10.66 Andy McGrath
10.51 Ollie Florent
10.43 Nic Newman

The AA selectors love to squeeze midfielders on a half forward flank, especially if they play there for a quarter or two, or for the occasional game (like Bont)

So why not pick Sheezel for one of the HBFs? He played just as well (if not better) in that role as most of the guys that people are naming...

Rating (med defenders)
15.51 Max Holmes
15.38 Harry Sheezel
15.29 Jack Sinclair
14.00 Dan Houston
13.98 Nick Blakey
13.53 Bailey Dale
13.21 Sam Flanders
12.12 Luke Ryan
11.98 Dayne Zorko
11.97 Mitchell Hinge
11.49 Nasiah Wanganeen
11.47 Brayden Maynard
11.44 Nic Martin
11.21 Daniel Rioli
10.96 Tom Stewart
10.76 Nick Vlastuin
10.66 Andy McGrath
10.51 Ollie Florent
10.43 Nic Newman
This is a situation where the rating system becomes a bit incoherent I think. He would be a lock for AA if he'd stayed back there but he's racking the ball up and kicking goals from mid-fwd now. A bench spot would be appropriate, I think, just due to the positional change. I'm sure he'll fill his wardrobe with blazers by the end of his career anyway.

Rating (med defenders)
15.51 Max Holmes
15.38 Harry Sheezel
15.29 Jack Sinclair
14.00 Dan Houston
13.98 Nick Blakey
13.53 Bailey Dale
13.21 Sam Flanders
12.12 Luke Ryan
11.98 Dayne Zorko
11.97 Mitchell Hinge
11.49 Nasiah Wanganeen
11.47 Brayden Maynard
11.44 Nic Martin
11.21 Daniel Rioli
10.96 Tom Stewart
10.76 Nick Vlastuin
10.66 Andy McGrath
10.51 Ollie Florent
10.43 Nic Newman
Why not Holmes?

Some very good points, don't think there has been any standout pure HB this season more I'll call it hybrids who also spend time at centre bounce and through the wings.

Lots of names of guys playing well who rotate through the HB. If you were going to pick a player who has rotated through HB and is having a great season across the park Holmes and Sheezel would be very high on that list.

Maybe a similar argument to wings, if you haven't got a clear standout full timer go with the best overall player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a very hard position to squeeze into. They might only pick one actual "small defender" back there to squeeze in another mid and The Lizard for mine has been the best by a fair way (dont stats me Ronnie, the eye test means something).

I was more than a little peeved he wasnt in that list of names even discussed though, I think he should be in the squad
Can you run your eyes over the last 5 minutes of our gather round game.
Then run your eye over the extended ladder with points against.
I’m not championing for jobbers in a btm 6 team with statistics.
I just wheel them out because they think I’m crazy.
CARN THE ANCHORS!

Can you run your eyes over the last 5 minutes of our gather round game.
Then run your eye over the extended ladder with points against.
I’m not championing for jobbers in a btm 6 team with statistics.
I just wheel them out because they think I’m crazy.
CARN THE ANCHORS!
I think even if you rule the bottom 4 teams completely out of having anyone named, there is to even an average of 2 players per team in the AA team. I think our strength is having so many great players, but not a top few that are carrying all the load. I still think all of Ryan, Clark, Pearce and Serong should be in the squad with possibly Treacy to squeeze in there if he has a massive end to the year but will likely only have a maximum of two players in the final team.

That's above average and that's fine IMO. Most the names mentioned above are frequently brought up by neutrals in here so dont think there is much anti-Freo bias.

You are also very incessant bringing up Freo players and over a full season, it would annoy most in here.

I think even if you rule the bottom 4 teams completely out of having anyone named, there is to even an average of 2 players per team in the AA team. I think our strength is having so many great players, but not a top few that are carrying all the load. I still think all of Ryan, Clark, Pearce and Serong should be in the squad with possibly Treacy to squeeze in there if he has a massive end to the year but will likely only have a maximum of two players in the final team.

That's above average and that's fine IMO. Most the names mentioned above are frequently brought up by neutrals in here so dont think there is much anti-Freo bias.

You are also very incessant bringing up Freo players and over a full season, it would annoy most in here.
Someone has to,
trying to balance the coverage!
I’m the only docker poster in the top 30 and I’m 20 posts off the top 3

Serong is a lock. Then I have one of Clark/Ryan for a spot at HBF. Clark is having the better year but Ryan has made it before and is one of those guys whose reputation exceeds his actual output, especially in Victoria. Flip of the coin really but I'm hoping it's Clark.

As for bias, I think we just have to accept that nobody over east cares about us and probably never will. It's more like apathy. Most Victorians haven't even heard of Josh Treacy, for example. It is what it is.

Some very good points, don't think there has been any standout pure HB this season more I'll call it hybrids who also spend time at centre bounce and through the wings.

Lots of names of guys playing well who rotate through the HB. If you were going to pick a player who has rotated through HB and is having a great season across the park Holmes and Sheezel would be very high on that list.

Maybe a similar argument to wings, if you haven't got a clear standout full timer go with the best overall player.
I get the dislike for Zorko but he’s clearly been the best HB this season

I get the dislike for Zorko but he’s clearly been the best HB this season
Yeah he is having a good season, I don't see it as clear but I have him along with Houston, Blakey etc...

Might also address the freo comment above, I have Clark a rung below these guys and Ryan as more an Intercept Defender/ BP pick.

I guess the question is do you go with a Hybrid type who floats through HB at times such as Holmes, Sheezel, Sinclair or do you go with a more full time HB as in Zorko, Blakey, Houston.

I think it could end up being 2 of the hybrid types on the flanks, an intercept defender in BP and one of the full time HBs in the other pocket. They never pick lockdown small defenders anyway.

Seeing alot about Lachie Neale in here as of recent. I would say definitely in the team, likely on the interchange at this stage.

Hopefully he slows down. Not because I don’t like him but because I don’t want to see him win a third Brownlow haha

At this stage:

1. Cripps
2. Bont
3. Merrett

Whoever finishes the season best.
what is it about Bontempelli that makes him held in such high esteem as a leader?

Seriously good player but unsure the leadership aspect is setting him apart of the rest.

Seeing alot about Lachie Neale in here as of recent. I would say definitely in the team, likely on the interchange at this stage.

Hopefully he slows down. Not because I don’t like him but because I don’t want to see him win a third Brownlow haha
Lol really he should be going for he's 4th

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back