2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn has 50 coaches votes to Xerri's 28.

Gawn averages more disposals, nearly double the marks, double the contested marks, more goals, more hitouts, more hitouts to advantage and more score involvements.

The season isn't the last few rounds, it's the entire season.

I'll be amazed if Gawn isn't the starting ruck in the AA team.

And Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson have about 30 more coaches votes than Harry Sheezel.

Less contested possessions, less clearances, less center clearances, less tackles. There’s a chance Xerri finishes ahead in a few other statistical categories as well given how close they are.

Xerri’s stats aren’t representative of just the last few rounds either. Weak argument

And Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson have about 30 more coaches votes than Harry Sheezel.

Less contested possessions, less clearances, less center clearances, less tackles. There’s a chance Xerri finishes ahead in a few other statistical categories as well given how close they are.

Xerri’s stats aren’t representative of just the last few rounds either. Weak argument
Yes, I could have included effective disposals, metres gained, etc.

There are a tonne of stats that could be included, but I prefer to stick to disposals, marks, contested marks, goals, hitouts and hitouts to advantage. They're historically the metrics used to judge ruckmen.

I also find coaches votes to have some relevance. Though I agree they're not the be all and end all.

For instance, the Big O has more coaches votes than Xerri, but I'd take Xerri :D

Yes, I could have included effective disposals, metres gained, etc.

There are a tonne of stats that could be included, but I prefer to stick to disposals, marks, contested marks, goals, hitouts and hitouts to advantage. They're historically the metrics used to judge ruckmen.

I also find coaches votes to have some relevance. Though I agree they're not the be all and end all.

For instance, the Big O has more coaches votes than Xerri, but I'd take Xerri :D

He’s not a typical ruckman though is he?

He’s more like a 110kg 6”8 inside midfielder with very good hitout stats.

Also SC_Power, Kenny in the running for coach of the year.
Greys Anatomy Halloween GIF by ABC Network

This is a prisoner of the moment comment but I don't care, only a horror injury run has stopped McGovern being a 9 time consecutive all australian. Never seen a defender like him.

Oh and Xerri should be the ruckman he is an absolute beast this year.
Been AA or in the 40 man squad in every year he’s been fit apart from his debut Year. Quite an incredible feat.

Only Tom stewart has a better feat in the modern day

Jarman Impey has been the best small defender in the comp the last 3 months and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Has been a rock in defense and damaging on rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many small defenders have ever made AA?

Maynard and Shepherd are the only ones I can recall in recent times but you are right they normally line up with three talls, and three rebounders.

Maynard and Shepherd are the only ones I can recall in recent times but you are right they normally line up with three talls, and three rebounders.

Even Shep offered a lot of rebound, wasn't just a stopper.

Gov firming into contention, but aside from him and Waterman no other Eagles are near the squad of 40 and rightly so.

Even Shep offered a lot of rebound, wasn't just a stopper.

Gov firming into contention, but aside from him and Waterman no other Eagles are near the squad of 40 and rightly so.

I don't think we've ever seen a true stopper make it to the AA.

I remember Neville Jetta was just dominating every small forward to come his way and I don't think he even got a squad call up.

I don't think we've ever seen a true stopper make it to the AA.

I remember Neville Jetta was just dominating every small forward to come his way and I don't think he even got a squad call up.
Nick Smith was AA in 2014. Pure stopper and one of the best.

Are they true smalls but? They both regularly play on midsize tall forwards

Maybe small defender isn't the best way to describe it but they are definitely not playing on the Curnow's and Hogan's of the world.

Jordan Clark needs to be spoken about more. Dude is having a break out season. A few putting there hands up for spots in the back 6. Clark, Whitfield, Luke Ryan, Harry Sheezel*, Dan Houston, Nic Newman to name a few

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back