Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All good that you disagree, doesn't change what everyone saw. Go back a metre or 2 and or peel rather than attempting to kick at arms length of an opponent

Supporters need to prepare themselves for amazing and brain fade errors when it comes to Kemp, he will cost us goals every game until he can narrow the difference in his moments

Personally, we have enough xfactor in the backline and right now i would take Marchbank who is a disciplined defender
Yeah, I still agree he stuffed up, but I don't think it was as bad as it looked on first watch.

The only way Kemp will narrow the gap between his best and his worst is by continuing to play. He has time on his side, and it's for that reason that I'm also inclined to bring Marchbank in for Kemp. Marchy should have better impact in the here and now, but he also needs to show that his body can withstand a full season at AFL level. 60 games in 9 years is a dismal return. If he can't perform this season his list spot comes into question, so lets find out about him from round 3.

Really need to nail down the forwards who aren’t called Charlie or Harry. I think both Hollands and Martin will come straight in the second they’re fit, with any two of the small needing to lift. Motlop is the one I’m most bullish about. Durdin needs a month in the reserves to find some continuity I reckon.

Love the look of this forward line on paper - has a mixture of just about everything:

Motlop - Charlie - Owies
Fogarty - McKay - Martin
(E. Hollands)

We won’t win a flag if Weitering isn’t there.

Richmond are bottom four, yet we nearly lost.

He is so important.
Balls.

Early season there is no form. Teams are working out systems, players are rusty. Coaches, players and trainers haven’t figured out if they’re good or shit, in form or out of it.

That’s why early season wins are so ****en important, because you don’t know what works AND you don’t know what you don’t know. (The only true words Donald Rumsfeld ever uttered).

Richmond may end up bottom 4 (I doubt it) but they didn’t play like a bottom 4 team last night. They played like a team with 14 or so premiership heroes who know how to get shit done.

Just got back from the game (stayed down and just drove back to Wodonga).

It's definitely better to win ugly than lose bravely. McGovern & Saad very good. Kemp did some nice things but as Clint Eastwood famously said "A mans got to know his limitations". He can't kick 60 meters for goal and the more he winds up the more he misses by.

Love that Owies has made himself a reliable shot from a reasonable distance. Didn't have that in his kit bag a couple of years ago.

Plenty to work on, plenty to look forward to. Vossy made a point of saying that Marchbank is deep into his training and Weiters is either round 3 or 4 definitely in his presser which will help our defensive structure.

The absolute best thing is being 2 and 0 and watching other teams play their first game and to be able to laugh at how far off the pace. Hoping that the Swans get home tonight and the Bombers and Saints get belted tomorrow.

Will start by saying I haven’t had a chance to read everyone’s posts as yet, so apologies if I’m going over old ground!

• TDK was in everything in the final quarter. He’s a point of difference and is growing every game. Didn’t have the best run of it early … didn’t sook it up.
  • Our backline will continue to be exposed no matter who the personnel is if we don’t get the balance right between winning contested footy and our newfound scoring focus from turnover.
  • That said, Weitering is our MVP. Not just for his skill but the confidence he creates in those around him. Can’t wait to have him back to replace Young.
  • Kemp is an immense talent in the air. Errors and being caught out of position are still a major worry. Voss will persist with him down back, I’m sure.
  • Newman also makes the odd error but jeez he’s a solid footballer. His tackling pressure last night was immense.
  • Hollands has clearly been given new KPIs. I’m not worried yet.
  • forward entries are still a significant issue. How we could not target Vlaustin’s man (he must have been open somewhere!) with an regularity is a concern and says a bit about both the lack of kicking skills in the midfield and the lack of forward nous of some of those who rotate through the forward line.
  • we got a fantastic run from the umps after being screwed by a couple of tenuous frees which cost us goals early.
  • Charlie needs to roam more often. He reads the play so well when he gets involved up higher or goes down back.
  • I love, love, love how the club is strategically approaching this season. A big training block concluding with our first bye … a conservative approach to injury management in the knowledge that you can’t win finals in March … a big focus on improving scores from turnover and moving the ball faster from defence.

Lots to work on … but 2-0 given everything that has challenged the group in the last month is IMMENSE.

I am glad we won, and relieved we won... but I just wish we could play a game where it is sunshine and rainbows in the last quarter.

Richmond probably would have won had they not lost 3 players so I am sure there is plenty for the coach to work with here.

Yep, I copped a bit of stick for my bookmarked threads comment, but I’m extremely happy what I saw none of in preseason is showing up in the way we are playing.
Very small margins means we are beaming and not gnashing, but if we are serious about being a contender ball movement is paramount to the promised land.
I’m not too fussed about the slow start within the contest, that’s our DNA, we’ll come good there.
When we get both contest and ball movement going together we’ll start winning comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Only 4 more weeks till we are in crisis mode hey. :D

Young was exploited for 4 quarters last night - he brings down every other defender because they have to cover both in defence and going forward- the bloke is low-skilled and plays 50 kilos lighter than he weighs. WTF is going on with Sam Durdin????

Hi all great start
shows how important weird and Martin/ jsos are to our structure
is it just me or does every side play like it’s their grand final when they play us
Not sure how we let Weird play without Gilly (some will get it some won't)

Also from your avatar there are some great AC/DC re-releases out today to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Picked up a great Hellfire colored vinyl version of Highway to Hell.

Without a preview thread for North, will post it here

Likely and or preferred changes.

• Young - Weitering. Nothing more to add
  • Kemp - Marchbank. Kemp certainly is the more aggressive, attacking option, but still a long way off bridging the gap between extraordinary and poor. With others in that backline that offer run, carry and xfactor, I prefer the better defensive option
  • Cuners - Elijah. Elijah is the better forward and mid option IMHO
  • Kennedy - Martin. If Kennedy is spending most of his time forward, then Martin replaces him in that role. If Voss believes Kennedy and Elijah can rotate mid/forward, then he stays for mine
  • Ollie - Walsh. Ollie has been great with his run, defensive intent and pressure, but fumbling way too much in the first 2 games. Cottrell has more strength over the ball at the moment, so he can chop out both Acres and Walsh for the 3rd wingman option
  • Fantasia - Motlop. Slow start from Fantasia, but it is a toss of the coin at the moment

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Marchbank Saad

TDK Cerra Hewett
Walsh Cripps Acres

Elijah Harry Martin
Motlop Charlie Fogarty

Newman Cottrell Carroll Owies Kennedy

EMG: Pitto C Durdin Kemp, Ollie

In the mix: Cincotta, Moir, Fantasia, Cuners

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go easy on Kemp, done a few things wrong but a lot of things right. The fact that he even went for that mark that spilt to Martin for a goal shows that he believes in his ability and i reckon he has some, I'll put my ***** on the line and say he's going to be a very good player.
Coaches have told him to go for it and use his strengths.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Young was exploited for 4 quarters last night - he brings down every other defender because they have to cover both in defence and going forward- the bloke is low-skilled and plays 50 kilos lighter than he weighs. WTF is going on with Sam Durdin????
Young must bring something the coaching staff are happy with. He was better last week.

I’m not sure. He doesn’t fill me with confidence but maybe it’s a team defence thing? Coaches see him as an asset if the back line are working effectively?

Nonsense. He got smoked for 3quarters. Fair and valid commentary that in no way at all suggests he isn't becoming an awesome player. Nanks a demon and extremely strong it's just an observation that ties into Richmond's contested possession and clearance dominance for a large chunk of the game. Not at all Bs
He was amongst the best on ground in the first quarter, good in the 2nd & 3rd quarters and had a great last quarter, from my perspective far from getting smoked…
Tap work was solid, his contested & around the ground work, pressure was wonderful and very impactful…
Live and watched the replay…

Last edited:
All good that you disagree, doesn't change what everyone saw. Go back a metre or 2 and or peel rather than attempting to kick at arms length of an opponent

Supporters need to prepare themselves for amazing and brain fade errors when it comes to Kemp, he will cost us goals every game until he can narrow the difference in his moments

Personally, we have enough xfactor in the backline and right now i would take Marchbank who is a disciplined defender

If it were round 22 going into a finals series and Kemp was still making these blunders I’d go with Marchbank, but for now I think we have to stick with Kemp, especially with our next run of games. Gotta remember he is learning on the job and doesn’t have Weitering by his side who is everything to our defence.

Confident he will find the right balance in time and match Marchbank defensively whilst being better offensively. He is a beautiful kick and reads it well. Would like him to focus on spoiling or halving the contest instead of trying to mark everything but that attacking intent is part of what makes him such a good talent.

Summary please.
this sort of stuff:

Very good effort from the tiger's player's, id be very proud as a Richmond supporter. Reading some of the replies here from Richmond fans though, very disappointed. It's no wonder we call you guys the punt road ferals. Sore losers to the max. Be proud of your teams efforts and stop looking for excuses, absolute Shame.

We are proud fought it out till the end with 3 players down. And that last qtr the umpires did influence the game surely if you're not to biased you would acknowledge that.

You talk about sore losers your supporters carried on for every umpiring decision like you ere entitled, isn't any wonder your mob is known in the wider football community as the scum. Booing lynch which he clearly was pushed in the back by dekoning.

At the end of the day we are on our board and you have the audacity to question how we post GTFO

Oh by the way, i like it Punt Road Ferals

Collingwood = The Filth
Carlton = The Scum
Essendon - EssenDUMB
Richmond - Punt Road Ferals :thumbsu: I know which moniker id take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Back