Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't watched a replay as yet, but while watching it live, the umpires, I thought had a mare of a night, just being wildly inconsistent to both sides, but in saying that both sides wasted opportunities to control the scoreboard with poor kicking at goal. There were near misses and OOB misses and players who showed they can't kick on their opposite side.

Cripps and Hewett have been huge the last 2 weeks, Saad and McGovern were solid in the back half and I thought our back line played quite well apart from a few brain fades. Acres just bobs up in the right place a the right time. Our small forwards were quiet, too quiet, but someone put the brakes on Rioli. Cottrell was too quiet for someone with his tank and leg speed and Fog, as much as I love what he brings, kick the goal son, stop looking for someone else to do it.

One big + about last night, and last week, was Carroll.

He suddenly looks much stronger, and suddenly so much cleaner. He's taken a huge leap compared to last yr or yrs prior. Him coming good is huge.
That's probably why Dow was traded, as we needed to give some other players like Carroll an opportunity to shine

We won but jeez, we created our own problems tonight. Some real sloppy and lazy football at times, with bad conversion to boot.

Harry our best. Impressed with Carroll again, went reasonably well. Owies kept a cool head when needed. TDK stood up in the last quarter. Cuningham had some good clean hands and delivery. But that’s all I’ve really got.

Kemp and Young had absolute shockers. Kemp especially worries me. Just can’t help but have multiple brainfades per game and it costs us every time. Young not too dissimilar. I don’t think Newman or McGov had particularly great defensive games but that’s probably due to how unsettled the whole backline gets with Young and Kemp.

Still, 4 points is 4 points with our first bye coming up.

Weitering, Marchbank, Motlop, Elijah and hopefully Walsh will be strong chances to play against North.
At least Kemp is still young and is continuing to learn the pace of football. Young's brainfades are inexcusable and his weak efforts a real burden. I sincerely hope he gets moved back to the 2s when Weitering returns and I'd hope we can replace him on the list by the end of this season.

Managed to watch the whole thing which is a rarity as a parent. Good teams win ugly... but so do bad teams. We're not bad, I just hate the saying.

Richmond group have been there and done that. Well drilled yet supposedly in decline but a new coach might be good enough to squeeze out some better form. Lynch away all last year now back. So I think it's a bit misleading to feel we should wipe the floor with them.

Noticeably less handball and run through the middle after half time, seemed happier kicking to contests. Tigers frequently turned around from the back of the contest and found themselves in space.

Bit of slop off the boot of players running forward of centre, Fogarty the standout culprit there. Not quite able to take advantage of mongrel entries but the smalls did just enough to be useful.

Centre square results would be a bit shambolic for the team's liking. Could be the thing that hopefully puts a bit more distance between ourselves and a side like North who have some guns of their own in the forward line.

I like Kemp, he also scares me a little. It's easy to forget how little he has played. Capable of anything, good or bad.

See you in a fortnight blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugly win, but 4 points is 4 points.

Tigers ripped in all night, they are one of my most disliked clubs, but almost felt for them last night!

2-0 with Weiters, Walsh, Martin (who I believe is a lot more important than some may think) is a huge result. Hopefully Weiters back for north, otherwise Larkey may have a day out, and they won’t be pushovers this year.

Take that Bolton! 🖕

#flog

GIoLYFJaoAExkek

we tried it against Brisbane but they picked it off and punished us on turnover until we went back to contested footy. Same in the two preseason games.

This new transition style will kill poor teams but unless we can refine disposals at pace we constantly will leave huge gaps and easy over the back goals if we turn it over against better terams. Young wasn't great last night but over and over the defence was dealing with balls coming in quick and with no pressure after we lost it up the ground.

glad we stuck with it against the tigers but in future i want to see it as an option to change a game, not the primary game plan.
My concern with it even against poor teams is if we routinely muck up disposals, the opposition can get a sniff if you keep giving it back to them and get their tails up. That's a disaster against a team like the Saints or Roos that play their Grand Final against us more often than not.

Still, have to back the process. I guess the coaching staff figure the brutal contested game takes a toll and we need more in our arsenal.

Thought it was interesting that we were beaten around the ball, but were able to open the game up with precise kicking. A real reversal of what I would have considered this teams strengths and weaknesses

Yep, I copped a bit of stick for my bookmarked threads comment, but I’m extremely happy what I saw none of in preseason is showing up in the way we are playing.
Very small margins means we are beaming and not gnashing, but if we are serious about being a contender ball movement is paramount to the promised land.
I’m not too fussed about the slow start within the contest, that’s our DNA, we’ll come good there.
When we get both contest and ball movement going together we’ll start winning comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's normally a couple of games a year where we work our butts off to get a goal, and then continually hand it back through brain dead play or woeful skill errors.

Last year was the tiges game and st kilda.

At least we have 1 out of the way, and got 4 pts.

But geez, there were times it looked like they grabbed 36 guys who had never seen a football before and threw them onto a ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Back