Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Managed to watch the whole thing which is a rarity as a parent. Good teams win ugly... but so do bad teams. We're not bad, I just hate the saying.

Richmond group have been there and done that. Well drilled yet supposedly in decline but a new coach might be good enough to squeeze out some better form. Lynch away all last year now back. So I think it's a bit misleading to feel we should wipe the floor with them.

Noticeably less handball and run through the middle after half time, seemed happier kicking to contests. Tigers frequently turned around from the back of the contest and found themselves in space.

Bit of slop off the boot of players running forward of centre, Fogarty the standout culprit there. Not quite able to take advantage of mongrel entries but the smalls did just enough to be useful.

Centre square results would be a bit shambolic for the team's liking. Could be the thing that hopefully puts a bit more distance between ourselves and a side like North who have some guns of their own in the forward line.

I like Kemp, he also scares me a little. It's easy to forget how little he has played. Capable of anything, good or bad.

See you in a fortnight blues.
You forget Kemp is 22 and only played 23 games. Just an infant. Interesting looking at the below. He gets enough of it and is already elite for spoils.
Plenty to work with. Good defenders are built and developed over time. Still has loads to learn over coming seasons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_182053_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_182053_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 54

McGovern, hands down best game for the club. Being at the game his work rate was very early days un-McGovern like.
If he keeps that up he will be knocking on AA selection across HB. Haven't been the biggest fan over the journey with his conditional traits. Left that at the bus stop last night and went along way to getting me in his corner. V Happy with where we have landed with him.

If it were round 22 going into a finals series and Kemp was still making these blunders I’d go with Marchbank, but for now I think we have to stick with Kemp, especially with our next run of games. Gotta remember he is learning on the job and doesn’t have Weitering by his side who is everything to our defence.

Confident he will find the right balance in time and match Marchbank defensively whilst being better offensively. He is a beautiful kick and reads it well. Would like him to focus on spoiling or halving the contest instead of trying to mark everything but that attacking intent is part of what makes him such a good talent.
Kemp kicks the ball well but as yet isn't a good kick if that makes sense. Not a great decision maker and I reckon he has a bit of Taylor Adams in him in that he thinks he can make the miracle kick when he can't. Plenty of time to tidy it up yet though.

You forget Kemp is 22 and only played 23 games. Just an infant. Interesting looking at the below. He gets enough of it and is already elite for spoils.
Plenty to work with. Good defenders are built and developed over time. Still has loads to learn over coming seasons.
I also forgot he's listed at 192cm. Giving up plenty of height and probably weight to the big forwards he has to play on.

Long term I think he plays the role Gov is currently playing.

Only 4 more weeks till we are in crisis mode hey. :D
It's a fabulous life this "I'm not convinced" malarkey - tip crap all over the team and a few days later, woohoo, go Blues!

If it were round 22 going into a finals series and Kemp was still making these blunders I’d go with Marchbank, but for now I think we have to stick with Kemp, especially with our next run of games. Gotta remember he is learning on the job and doesn’t have Weitering by his side who is everything to our defence.

Confident he will find the right balance in time and match Marchbank defensively whilst being better offensively. He is a beautiful kick and reads it well. Would like him to focus on spoiling or halving the contest instead of trying to mark everything but that attacking intent is part of what makes him such a good talent.
Kemp doesn't read the play well at all, but let's say he did, then his errors are even worse, when he runs under the ball and or let's it get behind him in a marking contest

No doubt he will improve, but selection needs to be about current output, not projection

We have enough attacking prowess in Williams, Saad, Boyd, Newman and Gov, we need better defensive minded players such as Weitering and Marchbank IMHO

Without a preview thread for North, will post it here

Likely and or preferred changes.

• Young - Weitering. Nothing more to add
  • Kemp - Marchbank. Kemp certainly is the more aggressive, attacking option, but still a long way off bridging the gap between extraordinary and poor. With others in that backline that offer run, carry and xfactor, I prefer the better defensive option
  • Cuners - Elijah. Elijah is the better forward and mid option IMHO
  • Kennedy - Martin. If Kennedy is spending most of his time forward, then Martin replaces him in that role. If Voss believes Kennedy and Elijah can rotate mid/forward, then he stays for mine
  • Ollie - Walsh. Ollie has been great with his run, defensive intent and pressure, but fumbling way too much in the first 2 games. Cottrell has more strength over the ball at the moment, so he can chop out both Acres and Walsh for the 3rd wingman option
  • Fantasia - Motlop. Slow start from Fantasia, but it is a toss of the coin at the moment

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Marchbank Saad

TDK Cerra Hewett
Walsh Cripps Acres

Elijah Harry Martin
Motlop Charlie Fogarty

Newman Cottrell Carroll Owies Kennedy

EMG: Pitto C Durdin Kemp, Ollie

In the mix: Cincotta, Moir, Fantasia, Cuners

I agree with everything in this post, the only thing potentially debatable is Kemp.

I think Kemp might be the type of player who needs to build confidence and learn at AFL level.

I think the drop in level of Skill at VFL level won't help him grow. Maybe giving him a 5-10 block of games at AFL level will show where he's really at.

I think he could be a McGovern mark 2 in defence.

McGovern still has his bad moments but I suspect alot of that is the attacking directive and role he plays and I also wonder if the same can be said of Kemp.

Not saying McGovern isn't a level above Kemp but I can see him filling his role in the future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 4 more weeks till we are in crisis mode hey. :D

Very small sliding doors moments means we are celebrating and not sharpening the knives…lose to Brissy, which I was expecting anyway, then lose to Richmond with 2 on the bench for half a game and the pressure starts to really ramp up.

Some significant similarities to early last year but I think we look better because of how we are kicking our goals (which was non existent in the preseason)…just need to get our one wood going

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without a preview thread for North, will post it here

Likely and or preferred changes.

• Young - Weitering. Nothing more to add
  • Kemp - Marchbank. Kemp certainly is the more aggressive, attacking option, but still a long way off bridging the gap between extraordinary and poor. With others in that backline that offer run, carry and xfactor, I prefer the better defensive option
  • Cuners - Elijah. Elijah is the better forward and mid option IMHO
  • Kennedy - Martin. If Kennedy is spending most of his time forward, then Martin replaces him in that role. If Voss believes Kennedy and Elijah can rotate mid/forward, then he stays for mine
  • Ollie - Walsh. Ollie has been great with his run, defensive intent and pressure, but fumbling way too much in the first 2 games. Cottrell has more strength over the ball at the moment, so he can chop out both Acres and Walsh for the 3rd wingman option
  • Fantasia - Motlop. Slow start from Fantasia, but it is a toss of the coin at the moment

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Marchbank Saad

TDK Cerra Hewett
Walsh Cripps Acres

Elijah Harry Martin
Motlop Charlie Fogarty

Newman Cottrell Carroll Owies Kennedy

EMG: Pitto C Durdin Kemp, Ollie

In the mix: Cincotta, Moir, Fantasia, Cuners

You can see them making that many changes?

Kemp kicks the ball well but as yet isn't a good kick if that makes sense. Not a great decision maker and I reckon he has a bit of Taylor Adams in him in that he thinks he can make the miracle kick when he can't. Plenty of time to tidy it up yet though.

Makes perfect sense. He is often biting off more than he can chew or going fast when we should be going slow and vice versa. But he has been thrown in the deep end and is learning the role as he goes so I see no reason why he won’t iron those mistakes out. He was drafted as a mid/fwd and is naturally attacking.

The whole team played well in the last quarter Kemp included. Everyone made a mistake or two in a desperate come from behind fourth term. He’s 22 with 25 odd games. I like him and not sure what position he’s best suited. I’m saying a future mid imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Back