Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 34 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 159 82.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the go with Heppell? I’m only just seeing now he’s retired, didnt get the home farewell game but then brought back for an away one after uproar and got 34 possessions at 85%. Not even 2 months ago he said he wanted to play on next year. Is there more to that?

On the same train of thought - whats Callan Ward doing 2025?

Wondering if we are missing Sloane’s onfield senior leadership, has he still been involved in gameday like he was early on?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whats the go with Heppell? I’m only just seeing now he’s retired, didnt get the home farewell game but then brought back for an away one after uproar and got 34 possessions at 85%. Not even 2 months ago he said he wanted to play on next year. Is there more to that?

On the same train of thought - whats Callan Ward doing 2025?

Wondering if we are missing Sloane’s onfield senior leadership, has he still been involved in gameday like he was early on?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't think so. Looks like he's been holidaying with family since retirement.

Our club seems to really struggle managing the end of our veterans’ careers. So often there’s acrimony or games gifted despite underperformance. It goes way back.

Im not sure the club can be blamed too much for players refusing to acknowledge the end. I think where we are at fault is we seem to eager to please these players and allow them to own a place on the list as long as they want it. We should be more willing to trade out these players. But the lure of the feel good loyal PR is too good for our club to weigh up. Tex should have retired. We should trade him to another club if he wants to play on. But we will be too afraid of losing members if we do this.

Nothing wrong at all for farewell games. Even if a veteran has fallen off. If we arent in finals it doesnt matter.

Im not sure the club can be blamed too much for players refusing to acknowledge the end. I think where we are at fault is we seem to eager to please these players and allow them to own a place on the list as long as they want it. We should be more willing to trade out these players. But the lure of the feel good loyal PR is too good for our club to weigh up. Tex should have retired. We should trade him to another club if he wants to play on. But we will be too afraid of losing members if we do this.

Nothing wrong at all for farewell games. Even if a veteran has fallen off. If we arent in finals it doesnt matter.
Always harder to trade SA born players interstate especially in the 30+ age bracket. Almost impossible if they're contracted and not willing.

Always harder to trade SA born players interstate especially in the 30+ age bracket. Almost impossible if they're contracted and not willing.

If anything, its become more common in the last decade for players to ignore their useby date because of the lure of money. They will try their hand at being a mentor. Maybe get into coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone really expecting wholesale coaching changes this off season? Tbh I'd be stunned if Nicks was let go.
Finishing 15th after 5 years orchestrating a rebuild is proof enough for most to make their minds up.

The club must try and move forward from this disaster year. Fiddling with the list helps in a minor way but this disaster needs some senior club employee chopped...not resign...chopped.

If you think about it at a macro club level, you might say sacking Nicks (amongst others) is a very "team first" position for the club to take.

Or...

We do nothing and appear doomed, all summer and next year, to be just as dysfunctional.

Nicks is untenable as our coach from anytime now onwards. Dead man walking.

Make it quick AFC and put this year out of it's misery.

Yep. We do it poorly most times
As much as I don’t want to support club management, I think the player’s expectations and sense of entitlement makes it a more challenging process as the players can’t accept that their playing days are over and despite their form fully expect to get another year or more.

The club has already suggested they are going to work around the problem, rather than actually fixing the problem... so nothing will really change... just because they can't admit they ****ed up extending Nicks & double-down stupid to extend our pain.

There is absolutely no justifying doing the extension, I completely agree.

With that being where we are, I want as experienced and skilled team of assistants as possible.

Our two worst seasons were when we had an undermanned coaching team. 2020 was a dog's breakfast as well.

This is the frustrating thing about our fan base. We sometimes suggest trading players when we feel they are at their peak and where can get maximum return and we can see that they won't be a part of our next premiership. This would accelerate our progress towards a premiership as we would get picks or players towards building that premiership side.

People get so offended by this and won't even consider it. Then when it actually happens and they go downhill we've lost the opportunity to get good value and have gained nothing by hanging on. Jenkins, Lynch and Laird are recent examples of this.

What do you think about a second round pick for Laird?

I'd offer more, but we should take our first to the draft...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/...OMWFahJoeRK7f-Ijjw_aem_WsXt_JWw781L7RAbD8yTnQ

Based on this footage, he wouldn't be a 4th rounder... It's funny how most of us have seen this from Laird for years, and it's only now being looked at by the media since he roasted Rash. Personally, I love seeing this stuff and can't wait for us to "back the boys in" and drink our own bath water again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back