Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc Larkins gets unfairly belted imo... He is asked an opinion, he's says what it could be based off what he has seen and if that is the case what the time frame would be... It's just an if and but thing that the media do with him and people shit on him for it

And much much much more often than not he is right
It wasn’t his opinion (I actually do listen to it on 3AW quite a bit)….

This thread was about “click bait” where the heading implied there was a news update on Hawkins injury…when clicked it was not really even an opinion but a story about all the things it could be.

In of itself that could be useful but someone else pointed out it was pure definition of click bait - to which then our man Ralphy took huge offence to….

I was just engaging in the fact that it by definition was click bait as I took the bait expecting a real update…

(And then my next post was tongue in cheek saying I no longer need to hear from the club….)

I'm a huge Tomahawk lover, but was really hoping he would have retired before this season started. He has been lame for a long time, and it is sad watching his form and dominance erode this year.

You'd think with Tom it's curtains unfortunately
Probably giving him time to process and come to terms before facing the public in a presser

For what it’s worth, there’s people confidently telling me he’s cooked.

The initial diagnosis is surgery and season (career) ending. The fact they’re speaking to multiple parties in medical circles suggests the club knows, but is making sure they exhaust all options before a forced retirement.

As for the Doc Larkins comments - don’t for one minute think he doesn’t know who to speak to, to form a very educated opinion.

Toms been a favourite but when your times up - it’s up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For what it’s worth, there’s people confidently telling me he’s cooked.

The initial diagnosis is surgery and season (career) ending. The fact they’re speaking to multiple parties in medical circles suggests the club knows, but is making sure they exhaust all options before a forced retirement.

As for the Doc Larkins comments - don’t for one minute think he doesn’t know who to speak to, to form a very educated opinion.

Toms been a favourite but when your times up - it’s up.

Tom on 7 essentially saying he's refusing to believe it's the end.

Denial?

Tom on 7 essentially saying he's refusing to believe it's the end.

Denial?

The decision is with the medical experts. I guess what he means he refuses to accept it’s the end.

Sounds like me when I was younger. I refused to accept I wouldn’t get drafted. It wasn’t until I was told I was no good (and when I didn’t get drafted) that I accepted my fate.

I also thought I’d marry Elle Macpherson but that didn’t eventuate. The restraining order put an end to that plan.

It wasn’t his opinion (I actually do listen to it on 3AW quite a bit)….

This thread was about “click bait” where the heading implied there was a news update on Hawkins injury…when clicked it was not really even an opinion but a story about all the things it could be.

In of itself that could be useful but someone else pointed out it was pure definition of click bait - to which then our man Ralphy took huge offence to….

I was just engaging in the fact that it by definition was click bait as I took the bait expecting a real update…

(And then my next post was tongue in cheek saying I no longer need to hear from the club….)
I didn't mean my other comment as a direct criticism of you fwiw, I realised after I should have mentioned that at the time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fully resigned to a retirement announcement coming some time this week. Sad way to go out but he's been an all-time great of the club.

They wont announce it this week they will wait til later in the year. Wont want to distract the team.

But if they are getting a second opinion no doubt the first one is season/career ending.

Doc Larkins gets unfairly belted imo... He is asked an opinion, he's says what it could be based off what he has seen and if that is the case what the time frame would be... It's just an if and but thing that the media do with him and people shit on him for it

And much much much more often than not he is right
I think Doc Larkins is ALWAYS correct. If he offers a diagnosis, it would have been well researched.
If he is asked for an opinion, he has second to none experience and expertise in sports medicine in this country.

I think Doc Larkins is ALWAYS correct. If he offers a diagnosis, it would have been well researched.
If he is asked for an opinion, he has second to none experience and expertise in sports medicine in this country.
I don’t think he’s second to none, there’s a lot of top sports medicine doctors in Australia and they don’t always agree and not all are at the cutting edge.
His opinion is of course valid but it might not always be ‘correct’.
I visited 4 elite sports medicine doctors about an injury I had and 3 disagreed with the 4th who was right.

I don’t think he’s second to none, there’s a lot of top sports medicine doctors in Australia and they don’t always agree and not all are at the cutting edge.
His opinion is of course valid but it might not always be ‘correct’.
I visited 4 elite sports medicine doctors about an injury I had and 3 disagreed with the 4th who was right.

Was the 4th Dr Larkin 😉

And if he goes around again next season? 👀
He really needs to be saved from himself and have that decision knocked back if that is his plans..

I love the big lump, but the fella is charcoal.... and that is before any injury I am afraid

You can try and dress this up all you like if you're running propaganda (media) for the footy club, but that's season ending for a player of Hawkins age and build. And I reckon it's effectively career ending.

If the club is saying 6-8 weeks then history tells us that we should add a couple of weeks to that (conservatively). He'll be coming from a long way back and physically he'll be miles off AFL standard. My guess is they already know it's highly unlikely he'll play, and the club is at least now in a position to reset and get a decent look at what life post Tom looks like. These next 8-9 weeks will actually be very handy in that regard. If Neale is the one then he'll get a really good run at it and might come on a bit quicker than if those games were next season. He should be jumping out of his skin and to have Tom alongside him coaching him will be a bonus.

This has shades of 2011 when Mooney was phased out (in different circumstances) and Tom grew before our eyes. My guess is that we'll get close to the end of the home and away and the club will call a press conference - Tom will retire saying he's had a "setback" in his rehab and is just not able to make it back.

Other injury updates

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 16 ​

PlayerInjuryExpected Return
Cameron Guthrie  Achillies  1 – 2 weeks
Oli Wiltshire  Pelvis  1 – 3 weeks 
Tanner Bruhn Scaphoid Fracture 3 – 5 weeks 
Tom Hawkins Foot 6 – 8 weeks 

Other injury updates

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 16 ​

PlayerInjuryExpected Return
Cameron Guthrie Achillies 1 – 2 weeks
Oli Wiltshire Pelvis 1 – 3 weeks