Strategy 2024 Season Preview / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can definitely see those with really aggressive early trading starting well and being hard to run down with additional trades and best 18 rounds, just I can definitely see a lot of teams looking almost identical in the run home, for the same reasons.

The super duper serious supercoaches won’t like these changes Id have thought (the spreadsheet crew😀)
Hey just cause you can't run a spreadsheet, no need to be mean :p

Can definitely see those with really aggressive early trading starting well and being hard to run down with additional trades and best 18 rounds, just I can definitely see a lot of teams looking almost identical in the run home, for the same reasons.

The super duper serious supercoaches won’t like these changes Id have thought (the spreadsheet crew😀)
Yeah, only had a quick skim, but most of the experienced coaches seemed to be against it.
Main echo seemed to be that the pendulum swings too far in the direction of 'casuals'.
Can understand that, the skill factor is diluted with more trades, seems true, tbh.
I don't know, you can't strike a perfect balance there.

Hey just cause you can't run a spreadsheet, no need to be mean :p
Yeah, only had a quick skim, but most of the experienced coaches seemed to be against it.
Main echo seemed to be that the pendulum swings too far in the direction of 'casuals'.
Can understand that, the skill factor is diluted with more trades, seems true, tbh.
I don't know, you can't strike a perfect balance there.
Yeah I’m not too fussed with way, I love it. I will say though, if it’s all about clicks, generating more involvement (more adds), maybe they could throw some more prizes in, seems to be the same every year.

Yeah I’m not too fussed with way, I love it. I will say though, if it’s all about clicks, generating more involvement (more adds), maybe they could throw some more prizes in, seems to be the same every year.
Yes! I want a lifetime of KFC 😍

Maybe allow us ex-pats a slice of the pie.....Maybe Tomorrow

Yeah my friend would like a prize for finishing top 30K.

If you were to sacrifice one line this season which would it be??

This is going to be a long one, which for me is the usual on strategy, so I thought better get it out of the system now rather than later.

Grab a drink and some snacks.

Let me clarify. Or just ramble on for a bit.

We have a few classes of players from top to bottom.

Premo’s

1. Proven Premiums or Uber Premo’s.
2. Premiums
3. Fallen Premiums - or Undervalued.
(These 3 are our finished sides targets as the season goes.)

MP’s
4. Top Priced Mid-pricers
5. Mid-pricers
(These two categories ( 4 & 5) are either guys we hope or think could make the next step up or break into Premo territory via player exits, traded to new club or role and position change. Also we are rolling the dice that they might become keepers at last 1 or 2 on-field spots in Def, Mid, Fwds)

Then we have
6. Bottom Priced Mid-pricers
(At less then say $300k as a price point but have played Senior footy before)

That leaves Rookies
7. Top Priced Rookies & Others
($210k to $150k)
8. Rookies - Senior Listed Players
($117k to 150k)
And lastly
9. Rookie Listed Players
($102.4k players not on Senior Lists yet)
Or this is the categories I work with to break it down.
Each season the price points for each category shift up or down a bit.

Though this seasons starting prices have caught me and I guess others off guard and surprised, as getting more than 2 of the Proven Uber Premiums in each line is nearly impossible without some serious sacrifices.

Add to this for the first time in my memory, having played since 2014 ( I thought longer though that is all history shows) the utter lack of many, if any locked in Forward line picks that scream out as must haves from the start.

All of the top 14 Forward priced players feel like Fallen or Falling Premiums with maybe 1 or 2 who had breakouts last year and I doubt many if any will rise beyond $600k, more likely to be the $500k club or below, which will make them the easiest line to trade into as the season goes on. Also easier to wait until 1st and 2nd DPP changes (Rounds 6&12) come in for upgrade targets and hold until better options come up or we see what numbers the current flock of Forwards are putting up.

Secondly each year I like to go through and rank each position in importance by the usual key factors, nothing new to most seasoned players.

This year I came up with this.
  1. Rucks (as there is only 2 on-field and can mean 50 to 100pt round difference between the right 2 and the rest)
  2. Midfield (no need to explain this)
  3. Defenders (more value per $$ for points here)
Note: This season seems to have switched Defenders with the Forwards from last season as the place where DPP Midfield options and additions may come from. Maybe a few Midfielders and Rucks can boost the stock of Forwards after DPP changes.

4. Forwards (apart from a few Fallen Premo’s mentioned earlier, there is little on offer, maybe a few Mid-pricers or Rookies will rise up and surprise us all.)

By now your wondering what on earth is this guy rambling on about and what does it have to do with sacrificing one certain line versus the others, will he get to the point.

I have tried a few different combos of team structure trying to find balance across all lines and none of them come without major sacrifices. Either too many risky Mid-Pricers or Fallen Premo’s to rely on, like shopping at Woolworths or Coles the money just doesn’t go as far as it used to. Now SuperCoach has gone down the price gouging route, nothing has gone ‘Down Down’ here.

Even with the byes and extra trades as well as boosts I don’t want to run out of trades like I did last season at Round 17 and fall 20k spots while I was on a steady climb up the ranks. Too many injuries and sideways/fix-up trades.

Again rambling.

Back to the point.

I am thinking about going full sacrifice on one line, “The Forwards!”.

Fielding nothing but Rookies!

Most with F/M DPP and having a few M/F running in the Midfield as backup.

Reasons apart from those alluded to already.

Midfield - upgrades take 2.5 to 3 trades for each on-field Uber Premium @ $650k+

Defenders - upgrades 2 to 2.5 trades apart from the top 3 or 4.

Rucks - Start with the best and sideways to the rest.

Forwards - I think can be had with just 2 trades, one up - one down.

So sacrifice the easiest to upgrade line and even worse make it the last line to go full (really just semi) Premium.

With 8 of my 19 total rookies out of the 30 players selected in the Forward line and 2 more DPP’s hiding in the Midfield.

I will surf the Break Even wave hard and fast, maybe shorting stocks if timing is right.

Also choosing only 11 Uber Premiums and 19 rookies increases the luck or chance of getting maybe 2 or 3 Sheezel type rookies, to hold onto as long as needed.

Though it does increase risk in getting the rookies right from the start, with all 19 of them generating cash.. The toughest part of the game.

Let’s not forget about best 18 for rounds 2,3,5 and 6.. rounds 5&6 may be a chance for first upgrades, perfect ‘Cash Cow Culling Time’ at least to a stepping stone to a rising Mid-Pricer with a low Break Even. Making the risk in fielding more rookies less volatile to overall points in these rounds. Worst case is a small loss to true Mid-Pricer teams who get lucky with their 18 non-rookies on-field. Also plan on only Starting with currently one Round ‘0’ or ‘OR (Opening Round)’ Premium player.

Breakdown of trades needed to upgrade my planned team’s on-field lines.

Defenders - 5 Trades max- 2 Rookies
Mids- 9 trades max - 3 Rookies
Rucks - Set and Forget.
Fwds - 12 trades - 6 Rookies

Sub Total - 26 out of 40 trades

Plan to use or save two boosts for use in bye rounds 14&15 so add another 6-8 trades. Try and get 18 Premo’s running each of these rounds.

Grand Total Max Trades = 34max + fix up trades.

Leaving 6 (hopefully a few more) for injuries and sideways if needed. Maybe I will have some to use after Round 17 this year!

I have tried many different recipes for the right SuperCoach marinades over the years and none have worked out as I had hoped. So time to try something completely different and new.

Lastly
More starting team Captain Options.

See you all in month with another
hare-brained scheme. And maybe a bit of show and tell.

Last edited:
If you were to sacrifice one line this season which would it be??

This is going to be a long one, which for me is the usual on strategy, so I thought better get it out of the system now rather than later.

Grab a drink and some snacks.

Let me clarify. Or just ramble on for a bit.

We have a few classes of players from top to bottom.

Premo’s

1. Proven Premiums or Uber Premo’s.
2. Premiums
3. Fallen Premiums - or Undervalued.
(These 3 are our finished sides targets as the season goes.)

MP’s
4. Top Priced Mid-pricers
5. Mid-pricers
(These two categories ( 4 & 5) are either guys we hope or think could make the next step up or break into Premo territory via player exits, traded to new club or role and position change. Also we are rolling the dice that they might become keepers at last 1 or 2 on-field spots in Def, Mid, Fwds)

Then we have
6. Bottom Priced Mid-pricers
(At less then say $300k as a price point but have played Senior footy before)

That leaves Rookies
7. Top Priced Rookies & Others
($210k to $150k)
8. Rookies - Senior Listed Players
($117k to 150k)
And lastly
9. Rookie Listed Players
($102.4k players not on Senior Lists yet)
Or this is the categories I work with to break it down.
Each season the price points for each category shift up or down a bit.

Though this seasons starting prices have caught me and I guess others off guard and surprised, as getting more than 2 of the Proven Uber Premiums in each line is nearly impossible without some serious sacrifices.

Add to this for the first time in my memory, having played since 2014 ( I thought longer though that is all history shows) the utter lack of many, if any locked in Forward line picks that scream out as must haves from the start.

All of the top 14 Forward priced players feel like Fallen or Falling Premiums with maybe 1 or 2 who had breakouts last year and I doubt many if any will rise beyond $600k, more likely to be the $500k club or below, which will make them the easiest line to trade into as the season goes on. Also easier to wait until 1st and 2nd DPP changes (Rounds 6&12) come in for upgrade targets and hold until better options come up or we see what numbers the current flock of Forwards are putting up.

Secondly each year I like to go through and rank each position in importance by the usual key factors, nothing new to most seasoned players.

This year I came up with this.
  1. Rucks (as there is only 2 on-field and can mean 50 to 100pt round difference between the right 2 and the rest)
  2. Midfield (no need to explain this)
  3. Defenders (more value per $$ for points here)
Note: This season seems to have switched Defenders with the Forwards from last season as the place where DPP Midfield options and additions may come from. Maybe a few Midfielders and Rucks can boost the stock of Forwards after DPP changes.

4. Forwards (apart from a few Fallen Premo’s mentioned earlier, there is little on offer, maybe a few Mid-pricers or Rookies will rise up and surprise us all.)

By now your wondering what on earth is this guy rambling on about and what does it have to do with sacrificing one certain line versus the others, will he get to the point.

I have tried a few different combos of team structure trying to find balance across all lines and none of them come without major sacrifices. Either too many risky Mid-Pricers or Fallen Premo’s to rely on, like shopping at Woolworths or Coles the money just doesn’t go as far as it used to. Now SuperCoach has gone down the price gouging route, nothing has gone ‘Down Down’ here.

Even with the byes and extra trades as well as boosts I don’t want to run out of trades like I did last season at Round 17 and fall 20k spots while I was on a steady climb up the ranks. Too many injuries and sideways/fix-up trades.

Again rambling.

Back to the point.

I am thinking about going full sacrifice on one line, “The Forwards!”.

Fielding nothing but Rookies!

Most with F/M DPP and having a few M/F running in the Midfield as backup.

Reasons apart from those alluded to already.

Midfield - upgrades take 2.5 to 3 trades for each on-field Uber Premium @ $650k+

Defenders - upgrades 2 to 2.5 trades apart from the top 3 or 4.

Rucks - Start with the best and sideways to the rest.

Forwards - I think can be had with just 2 trades, one up - one down.

So sacrifice the easiest to upgrade line and even worse make it the last line to go full (really just semi) Premium.

With 8 of my 19 total rookies out of the 30 players selected in the Forward line and 2 more DPP’s hiding in the Midfield.

I will surf the Break Even wave hard and fast, maybe shorting stocks if timing is right.

Also choosing only 11 Uber Premiums and 19 rookies increases the luck or chance of getting maybe 2 or 3 Sheezel type rookies, to hold onto as long as needed.

Though it does increase risk in getting the rookies right from the start, with all 19 of them generating cash.. The toughest part of the game.

Let’s not forget about best 18 for rounds 2,3,5 and 6.. rounds 5&6 may be a chance for first upgrades, perfect ‘Cash Cow Culling Time’ at least to a stepping stone to a rising Mid-Pricer with a low Break Even. Making the risk in fielding more rookies less volatile to overall points in these rounds. Worst case is a small loss to true Mid-Pricer teams who get lucky with their 18 non-rookies on-field. Also plan on only Starting with currently one Round ‘0’ or ‘OR (Opening Round)’ Premium player.

Breakdown of trades needed to upgrade my planned team’s on-field lines.

Defenders - 5 Trades max- 2 Rookies
Mids- 9 trades max - 3 Rookies
Rucks - Set and Forget.
Fwds - 12 trades - 6 Rookies

Sub Total - 26 out of 40 trades

Plan to use or save two boosts for use in bye rounds 14&15 so add another 6-8 trades. Try and get 18 Premo’s running each of these rounds.

Grand Total Max Trades = 34max + fix up trades.

Leaving 6 (hopefully a few more) for injuries and sideways if needed. Maybe I will have some to use after Round 17 this year!

I have tried many different recipes for the right SuperCoach marinades over the years and none have worked out as I had hoped. So time to try something completely different and new.

Lastly
More starting team Captain Options.

See you all in month with another
hare-brained scheme. And maybe a bit of show and tell.
Love the thought you've put into this.

Only thing I'd say is that forward rookies are generally the worst in terms of scoring. Which means you might struggle for the cash gen to do all your upgrades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Struggling to get a Grip on Round 0.

Is the side you picked locked in going into R1?

Does it still count to overall score?

Assume its best 18?

How many Round 0 players is workable?

I see lot of teams with Gawn, but I’m contemplating on not starting with him = one less RD0 player :straining:
Gawn to Daicos in Rd6 could be a move.

It's really going to depend on how our 19th-22nd players score each week. If you jag a couple extra 80+ rookie scores you probably lose very little.

Struggling to get a Grip on Round 0.

Is the side you picked locked in going into R1?

Does it still count to overall score?

Assume its best 18?
SC is ignoring R0, no players are locked out for R1.

But R0 players play one less game over the season.

All bye rounds are best 18 scores.

Love the thought you've put into this.

Only thing I'd say is that forward rookies are generally the worst in terms of scoring. Which means you might struggle for the cash gen to do all your upgrades.
Firstly thanks.

Once I did the team and put some thought into the idea I sort of talked myself into it. A bit too much of grandiose self justification.
But I came back to it after a few days to let it sink in and it didn’t have me saying “What in the world were you thinking”.
Also it is so different from the YouTuber’s template ish kind of teams that will be driving ownership percentages up until its green lights on and go time.

On the point that forward rookies usually don’t do well, I totally agree, though that is usually with key forwards who need to bulk up or small forwards who don’t have that spark.
This year we have been gifted with a few future midfielder guns with adult game ready bodies and skills given the F/M DPP status, a few easy ones are Reid, Mannagh and it looks like Finn Macrae may be ready to go. Thats 3 out of 8 and add Walter and Caddy who look like future key forwards with some agro about them. The others all could work into Midfield time sooner than later.

Cash gen I am not as concerned about with some of these guys as they really should be Mids which we have to thank SuperCoach for.

But if it all goes pear shaped I will work the BreakEven game with Premos that are looking like loosing some serious coin and go down to a raising lower priced Premo or Mid-Pricer and upgrade the Dead Wood Rookies first.

If the all the players picked in my all rookie Fwd line can get 6-8 games from the get-go I could be on easy street from there on.

Or it could be my last season of SuperCoach.

Gawn to Daicos in Rd6 could be a move.

It's really going to depend on how our 19th-22nd players score each week. If you jag a couple extra 80+ rookie scores you probably lose very little.

I really don't see the sense in doing this either you start R0 premos and wear the fact of losing 1 game or you don't start them and trade them in along the way after their bye.

I really don't see the sense in doing this either you start R0 premos and wear the fact of losing 1 game or you don't start them and trade them in along the way after their bye.
Oh I'm not doing any early bye flips, no frivolous trades for me this year.

Just thinking out loud.

Here are the top 10 most selected Supercoach players as of January 26.

Defenders

Zac Williams (61%) - $216,100
Nick Daicos (60%) (DEF/MID) - $650,000
Nick Coffield (58%) - $123,900
Daniel Curtin (55%) - $175,800
Josh Gibcus (47%) - $150,700
James Sicily (39%) - $637,400
Hayden Young (38%) - $525,100
Toby Pink (31%) - $123,900
Tom Stewart (28%) - $635,300
Marty Hore (28%) - $123,900

Midfielders (Non-DPP Status)