Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell intimated at making up to 3 changes, but unless anyone else is under an injury cloud i'm guessing
In: Ward, CJ
Out: Maginness, Mackenzie

Last edited:
If CJ comes in, it would be as the defensive/fat side wing. Wouldn't be like for like in the role Mackenzie has played. CJ would take the role Harry played against North.

Mackenzie took a lot of Day's CBAs and that needs to be covered. Realistically, you can put in Ward with CJ and drop one of Finn or Morrison. Or, you can shift magnets, give Croc and Moore 20 extra CBAs and play Finn through half forward. You could also play Finn as a pure inside mid.

I think we've gotten too much out of Croc and Moore to take them away from the forwardline. And I don't think Finn suits the way we have been training our inside midfield unit to function. He's not going to do a Worpel-like reprogramming over a weekend. But then I have a hard time splitting Harry and Finn. Harry is the more reliable kick and can be more trusted with half back and wing rotations. Finn provides more pressure through half forward and can do a lock down role in all thirds of the ground.

In: CJ, Ward
Out: Mackenzie, Finn

It’s been such an impressive effort from here to make finals from where we were.

Jobs only half done though. We’ve been pretty much the form team for the last half of the year.

We should be really making our mark on these finals. Can’t let all our good work go to waste.

Lads, I have two tickets from my final series tickets for Friday Night. I can no longer go; I have a 40th.

Level 2/Olympic Stand/ N56.

PM me if you are interested and a fair offer. I am happy to do anything you want to verify them being authentic, etc.

Last edited:
Ward, Finn and CJ are all yet to prove they are reliable players when under high pressure.

All for different reason. They will be tested Friday if picked.

Mitchell intimated at making up to 3 changes, but unless there's anyone else is under an injury cloud i'm guessing
Ins: Ward, CJ
Outs: Maginness, Maczenzie
Why would Sam bring Maginess in for the one game against North and drop him the next game for Ward? Finn played well enough against North and was probably our best on the weekend.

Ward has to come in. It's like the Universe has aligned for him to shine and make his mark. He doesn't have to worry about next week, he is going to have quality players around him and when its his turn to go he just has to go. Go on Ward..you got this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ for Mackenzie will throw out the balance of our midfield unless Moorey steps inside and Morrison/ Finn play across half forward (maybe in a defensive role on Dale), whereas Ward makes more sense for balance but i'm not convinced he's tough enough against that Dogs midfield. It's a tough call for the coaching staff but maybe they need to back Wardy in to step up as a full time midfield rotation

Why would Sam bring Maginess in for the one game against North and drop him the next game for Ward? Finn played well enough against North and was probably our best on the weekend.
Just don't reckon Maginness did enough to hold his spot. It's CJ who I envisage as his replacement. As for his game on the weekend at BH, I think it was his fitness rather than form that was being watched in terms of this week's selection. Ward would come in for MacKenzie.
As for Finn, have we actually played him in the hard tag role since Collingwood last year? Nullifying Daicos was unquestionably his standout game, so bit surprised we haven't seen more of that.

In: Ward
Out: Mackenzie
Ward comes in for Mackenzie. Ward is the closest replacement we have. His two-way running, endurance, and skills will be needed in the wet. And he has become a better-contested player at Box Hill this season. We will need him to take on arguably the best midfield group in the league. Maginness goes nowhere. He can tag, play a defensive forward role, or play as a proper mid. And you'd suspect we'd need that, as Nash or Nuke will have to look at taking Bontempelli, Liberatore, Richards, or Treloar out of the game.

As for CJ, sorry, but he cannot return. If he does, it can only be for Morrison. And I've been a detractor of Morrison for years, but he deserves his spot. I thought he performed very well against Cartlon and has performed adequately since. He also played in our last finals campaign, which I'm sure is haunting him to this day. CJ was very poor in the VFL. And unless Sam lets him loose on Friday to just run and jump, I don't think he should play.

So we only have one out right Finn played against North. So the replacement for Mackenzie is Ward we need the mid depth and he can run out the game. Question then is CJ comes in for someone to be dropped which would seem to be Finn or Morrison. My feeling is CJ comes in to provide defensive cover and it’s Morrison that goes out. Unlucky but that’s what I think happens. Daniel Hoyne says most finals are chaotic well CJ is the ultimate finals player then!

Daniel Hoyne on SEN last night highlighted that the Dogs on ballers tend to concede first possession with the aim to strip the ball carrier and hit teams on the rebound. And so it's important that our midfielders are quick and precise with our ball movement clearing the contest.

That being the case there is an argument that Hustwaite with his elite quick hands could be the best horse for this course. I don't expect he will be selected but if he is then that could be the thinking.
Exactly how Geelong played against us

To those pinheads who can’t wait to trade Ward - this is why depth bloody matters.

I reckon this is going to be the making of Ward. Get him in the middle and let him get his hands dirty. There is no better opportunity for him to prove himself - get in there and grab it by the scruff young man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back