Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sticking with Serong in for Finn. Serong allows for more versatility across the park. Allows for another taller defender (remembering he is now 215cm) if the Dogs’ forwards are getting off the leash. Can also allow Weddle to roam the ground and Sicily to play more of his intercepting and rebounding role. Additionally it might allow Hardwick to swing forward and create further headaches up front if it’s a wet night. Hardwick swinging forward could also allow Watson and Ginni to have relieve in midfield rotations being that we haven’t selected another mid.

Serong has been in form at VFL level for some time - time to let him prove himself on the big stage.
Would disagree if Sicily was 100%, but he is clearly not. I think against Bulldogs this would be a good move.

I’m sticking with Serong in for Finn. Serong allows for more versatility across the park. Allows for another taller defender (remembering he is now 215cm) if the Dogs’ forwards are getting off the leash. Can also allow Weddle to roam the ground and Sicily to play more of his intercepting and rebounding role. Additionally it might allow Hardwick to swing forward and create further headaches up front if it’s a wet night. Hardwick swinging forward could also allow Watson and Ginni to have relieve in midfield rotations being that we haven’t selected another mid.

Serong has been in form at VFL level for some time - time to let him prove himself on the big stage.
I’m not against it just don’t see it happening as the defence needs to time playing together, the one aspect he clearly lacks

Feel like the one thing we won't tinker with is our back six. I reckon every other line has the potential to look a bit funky but not FB HB

I’d almost say Serong allows for less flexibility as he has to be played in defence.

Which unsettles our back line and forces someone else up the ground rather than allowing it to be an option depending on how the games going.

He’d also be a weak point that Dogs will isolate and expose. I can’t see us trialling it in an elimination final.

We’ve won playing a certain way. Why change what’s working?

Would be incredibly surprised if we make a change for Cj.

I get the notion of him being a long term player for us, but realistically the team has plenty of X-factor currently and needs more grunt, which both Morrison and Finn provide in spades.
If we 100% knew that he was coming in physically fit and firing he'd be a lock, but he hasn't been that all year.

Give me the dependability of Morrison for a final all day.

I really want Finn to play on Friday. His disposal wasn’t great at Box Hill but no ones was. Finn has games played consistency, a 71% disposal efficiency at AFL level this year, gives 200,000,000 percent effort and can potentially do a defensive role on Daniel or Dale, possibly even snag a couple. Finn is a big, semi experienced body that will not give up, will be ruthless in the contest, and will run forever, exactly the kind of player you want in a final.

I think Ward needs more time, if he is getting in his own head at times through the home and away I feel he can wait another 12 months to play finals.

CJ hasn’t played enough to come straight in for mine and did not look ready to be selected. I like CJ a lot and love what he can do but I think he might be a risk in an elimination final.

In saying all that, match committee has me covered (only just) when it comes to knowing what’s best.

Would be incredibly surprised if we make a change for Cj.

I get the notion of him being a long term player for us, but realistically the team has plenty of X-factor currently and needs more grunt, which both Morrison and Finn provide in spades.
If we 100% knew that he was coming in physically fit and firing he'd be a lock, but he hasn't been that all year.

Give me the dependability of Morrison for a final all day.
Harry is too slow as a small defender or a wingman, best suited to playing high half forward which we have abundance of. The Richmond smalls ran away from him with ease at times a fortnight ago. That won’t happen with CJ. Quite happy for Harry and Finn to get a game (they play their role and give it their all!) but they don’t exactly help with our quick spread and speedy ball movement. CJ didn’t play well yesterday but playing the fat side wing (20% of play) in the VFL didn’t exactly help his cause. If he pulls up well I thing Sam picks him. Finn’s ball use makes me nervous especially in a big final where turnovers can be a killer! Tough call for the MC but if Day was playing and CJ had not hurt his calf a month ago, selection would be easy this week.

Frosty has had a great year and long may it continue, not a murmur about him being dropped. Hopefully he can once again nullify his opponent.
CJ would have to train the house down to get into the side but I can't see it being for this game. Ward, Finn & Serong the only considerations & Serong only if there's an injury.
Party time & blow them away early Hawks by 37
#1dog2cups

Last edited:
I can't see us changing the line up at all, CJ could be handy as a sub but Breust has nailed that role.

It would be flaunt with danger to bring in Serong and tinker with the back 6 in a game like this. I haven't seen enough from him at afl level to be confident he can perform isolated in defence in a final.

Last edited:
IMO we shine in the rain. Against Pies and Norf we just went to work. Several media 'experts' have said wet weather favours the dogs, personally I don't get it
:think:
Do u not watch us play? We are superb in the wet. Our talls are great at ground level.

Should be a cracking game rain, hail or shine haha

Do u not watch us play? We are superb in the wet. Our talls are great at ground level.

I don't understand why you lot struggle so much with this basic equation. You aren't better dealing with the wet than us. Our smalls are not going to be at a disadvantage because you have such amazingly nimble talls - wet or dry. The main thing the wet does for us is take out the only advantage (apart from the unpenalised throws) you can exploit over us - height.

I find it odd that despite being ‘superb’ you finished 6th with the same win/loss record and a marginally better percentage.

That said your second and third best seasons in 99 years involved you finishing seventh so nothing really surprises me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it odd that despite being ‘superb’ you finished 6th with the same win/loss record and a marginally better percentage.

That said your second and third best seasons in 99 years involved you finishing seventh so nothing really surprises me
Wow wee....i feel the arrogance in this one. Don't worry mate, i didn't even mention you fellas. Just that we are good in the wet, which i can tell a lot on this thread haven't even watched much of us.

Pretty even game imo. Both teams have finished the season well.

Can't remember the last game your guys played in the wet at the G. So you happen to know?
We play 2 games at the G a year 😂.

Tiges game this year was damp but not exactly wet. We played 3 games wet i can think of this year. Gws at spotless was very wet and we smoked them. Geelong at kardina (smoked them) and against gws in ballarat as soon at the rain came we smoked them.

We play 2 games at the G a year 😂.

Tiges game this year was damp but not exactly wet. We played 3 games wet i can think of this year. Gws at spotless was very wet and we smoked them. Geelong at kardina (smoked them) and against gws in ballarat as soon at the rain came we smoked them.

Venues hawthorn struggle at.

However this is at the G

Is it just me but I find when “other people” come on to our site, I feel uncomfortable? If they have a relevant question or are seeking advice I understand, but the rest of them make my inner me scream….stranger danger!
I actually don't mind it at all as long as they are respectful and it's decent footy chat .
Must say I'm pretty much on high alert with these Dogs supporters after the experience on their board a few weeks back with the RS, and quite a few here have been opposite of the above.

I think the recent poster is pretty genuine though in their defence . One of the mods who posted was fine also .
No problem with that in my book

Make no mistake the dogs fans rival port for having genuinely no understanding of umpiring and think they are owed the free kick count every game.

Wonder if they will wheel out the 2016 carpet 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back