Preview 2024 Semi Final : Port v Hawks, AO 7:10pm Friday 13th Sept

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For a club that finished the regular season 2nd, this is quite a stretch.

We all expect Port to bounce back.

It’s just a question of whether your crew can put Thursday night out of their minds and get back to the type of footy you played in absolutely destroying Sydney only a few weeks ago.

Should be a ripper. 👍
Not a stretch at all, the record speaks for itself in finals.

While everyone is focusing on the mental side and whether Port can bounce back in that sense, everyone is forgetting the major flaw in their plan which is the forward press. Hawks are best this season at using their legs to drive out of their defensive 50 and once that happens, your smalls will torch us. The only way we win is if your midfield doesn't turn up and ours does.

Not a stretch at all, the record speaks for itself in finals.

While everyone is focusing on the mental side and whether Port can bounce back in that sense, everyone is forgetting the major flaw in their plan which is the forward press. Hawks are best this season at using their legs to drive out of their defensive 50 and once that happens, your smalls will torch us. The only way we win is if your midfield doesn't turn up and ours does.
Port will be hot for a quarter or two as the pain of the geelong loss motivates a big effort. But I don’t see them keeping up with us for four quarters.

If we play to form (+10 weeks) we will not relent. Up to Port to keep up and I don’t think they will.

I know it’s a very parochial POV but the boys have been absolutely relentless and I can’t see any reason for that to change this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Butters is out (very likely) then Hawks get the job done.

Bar JHF, Rozee (although dipped in form) and Rioli - they really lack weapons.

Their fwd line is very average. Defence vulnerable and the coach Hinkley a dead man walking.

Hawks by 5 goals plus...this is a game of 2 teams on different paths.

I'd go unchanged. - We are in finals - you don't take players with even the slightest question mark into a final

Day would need at least another week

If we win then if he was 100 percent he would come in just because he is in our top 5 players. I feel for McKenzie and CJ but you can only replace people if they aren't doing the job - and the team were on fire yesterday

Brisbane made that mistake last year. If Hipwood had been replaced by Gunston then Brisbane would have probably won.

If Day is 100% fit he comes in.

I keep thinking back to 2007. Where win our first final in 6 years, the kangaroos got belted by Geelong. The kanga’s came back the following week to beat us by 5 goals. We came back the next year and won 2008. It was the loss we needed to improve us.

How ever this scenario is a lot different to 2007. We got in over the line in a win against Adelaide by a Buddy special. Our form in 2007 at the back end of the season was inconsistent. The Roos still had a quality team.

This 24 team, they won quite comfortably in the end, they have been the inform team in the comp since the bye. Port is a poor resemblance of that 07 Roos team. We already have had that loss to keep propelling us.

We are going to win this, and win it comfortably.

I keep thinking back to 2007. Where win our first final in 6 years, the kangaroos got belted by Geelong. The kanga’s came back the following week to beat us by 5 goals. We came back the next year and won 2008. It was the loss we needed to improve us.

How ever this scenario is a lot different to 2007. We got in over the line in a win against Adelaide by a Buddy special. Our form in 2007 at the back end of the season was inconsistent. The Roos still had a quality team.

This 24 team, they won quite comfortably in the end, they have been the inform team in the comp since the bye. Port is a poor resemblance of that 07 Roos team. We already have had that loss to keep propelling us.

In that 2007 season I think we also just finished outside the eight and there was a game we just lost to Port Adelaide that we shouldn't have...winning goal may have been kicked by Burgoyne ..or was it Ebert? We would have avoided Adelaide in that elimination final...but meh, what happened happened and you wouldn't change it, would you?

Agree. We can't compare.
It took a Buddy freakshow to get us that win in 07.

This team is far more even and well drilled.

It's a 3-4 week injury and he's already had 3 weeks. So I think he's back for either this week or prelim.
One can never be sure, but temper yr expectations. Main risk is being a player down, so dunno, can we afford that? It's a massive gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back