Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (67) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastTBC

Last edited:

I love trade week. More hot air than a balloon.
Exhibit 4216

Bombers have interest in Hawk​

Essendon have expressed interest in Hawthorn tagger Finn Maginness, but don’t expect a deal to be done.
“Finn Maginness is someone who fits our profile, but he is a contracted player so we don’t expect anything to happen in that space,” Bombers list boss Matt Rosa said.
Wtf.

Several Bigfooty posters have expressed an interest in Caroline Wozniacki but don't expect anything will happen.

He needs to channel his inner Christopher Moltisanti. They both have that natural canopy that would allow them to smoke in the rain
Paulie Walnuts Mafia GIF by HBO

Viney was in addition to Parker.

I don't really care for the ratings re: Powell. Not trying to be rude but those ratings systems led us to some horrendous draft hauls.
Luff wasn't alone in being responsible for those draft hauls that brought us Comben, Goater, Curtis, Ford outside the first round. I think that whole thing gets overblown but next season will tell us... we could lose a bunch of players across those drafts or keep all of them.

Either way Powell's output matches up pretty well to LDU and Jy at the same age. He had some good games but was inconsistent and played in a few different spots as well. This year he's had a 30+ disposal game, 25+ and two goals a few times and played one game where he made 15 tackles. There's **** all good players from his draft, especially ones picked early.

The other two have more questions over them.

Yes, we're really being outshone by all the world class media performers that are the other clubs list people being interviewed as they go in.

Seriously, the stuff you people make up to bag Brady is just insane now.
Yep. The GC list guy volunteered pick 6 for D Rioli and the Freo guy was goaded into saying 10 and 18 for Bolton.
Brady did fine and is way less awkward than "I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking" Cam Joyce.
That Sam Power interview was straight bat boring, might as well have not interviewed him.

Herald Sun report.

Trade grade: Eagles move off ageing Darling

Josh Barnes

TRADE: West Coast trades Jack Darling to North Melbourne for pick 67
WEST COAST: B-
The Eagles didn’t get much back but won’t have to pay for Darling to run around in the forwardline next year. That is a win in itself for a player that appeared to be fading badly in the last 18 months.
NORTH MELBOURNE: C+
The Roos have the cap room to fit Darling in on a smoothed-out two year deal and gave up virtually nothing for him.
Whether he is really of use next to Nick Larkey is another question. I suppose he is better value than Brynn Teakle and Toby Pink.

It isn't just us, it is people in the football landscape in general. It is other players, other clubs, the media in general. If you were Dan or his manager and you saw that it wouldn't be something that would make you feel confident about the club imo.

We got Logue to pick us because it was Clarkson that did the footwork, we heard that he is going to get more involved in the off-field trading this year. We shouldn't need to have the head coach waste time in his aspect of the business when he has a lot of work to do on football side of the business. He is obviously not confident the people who are there can get the job done without him being a salesman.
Huh? Sam Mitchell is heavily involved in the drafting and recruiting at the Hawks.

Herald Sun report.

Trade grade: Eagles move off ageing Darling
Josh Barnes
TRADE: West Coast trades Jack Darling to North Melbourne for pick 67
WEST COAST: B-
The Eagles didn’t get much back but won’t have to pay for Darling to run around in the forwardline next year. That is a win in itself for a player that appeared to be fading badly in the last 18 months.
NORTH MELBOURNE: C+
The Roos have the cap room to fit Darling in on a smoothed-out two year deal and gave up virtually nothing for him.
Whether he is really of use next to Nick Larkey is another question. I suppose he is better value than Brynn Teakle and Toby Pink.
"The Geelong Advertiser’s Chief Footy Writer and CODE Sports reporter, Josh Barnes has been with his hometown paper since late 2019. He has lived and breathed sport in the Geelong region for more than two decades."

I don't know if we've stooped so low that "bloke who likes sports and lives in geelong" is really the guy credentialed to be grading our trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the big factors for Battle picking Hawthorn this year was Mitchell being super involved. Hodge to Brisbane was Fagan, I am sure most clubs the senior coach is involved

Fagan was an assistant at Hawthorn so he knew Hodge pretty well, I think if you want someone in a mentor role and not just for their ability to play football you would need the coach to sell the idea.

I am not sure about Battle, or how involved Mitchell was. I am guessing Mitchell decided to become more involved after they lost out on getting McKay and several other players.

There is a lot going on with coaching now, most head coaches have minimal one-on-one interaction with players on the list, rely a lot on assistants to do much of the heavy lifting now. I think it is quite significant when a head coach takes the time out to get involved in individual recruiting and I don't think it is that common for them to get heavily involved.

Fagan with Hodge and Clarkson with Logue was at the starting point of their coaching time, I think when you start as a coach you have to try and assemble your team and obviously Brisbane at the time and us were a complete shit show before the coaches started so they felt they needed as much help as humanly possible at the time.

I think with the Houston deal, he kind of decided he wanted to come home relatively late in the picture so clubs weren't in a position to do a lot of the leg work in advance over a period of time. He seems to be undecided which way he goes so it doesn't surprise me that clubs would want to get their best salesmen on the job. From the outside looking in ti doesn't seem obvious that a lot of coaches are involved in trying to get him to pick them instead of the others... but I could be wrong, we only know what gets leaked out.

"The Geelong Advertiser’s Chief Footy Writer and CODE Sports reporter, Josh Barnes has been with his hometown paper since late 2019. He has lived and breathed sport in the Geelong region for more than two decades."

I don't know if we've stooped so low that "bloke who likes sports and lives in geelong" is really the guy credentialed to be grading our trades.
It is Planet Murdoch

He's popped up a bit on Midweek Tackle and I hate to say more often since Landsberger passed but he's come off a bit skeevy on there, can see him as the type that will try to have a point of difference of being obnoxious to cover his lack of knowledge.

LIAM Shiels will remain at Arden Street and join North Melbourne's recruiting department full-time next month.

The 33-year-old retired in August after adding 33 appearances for the Kangaroos across two seasons, after Alastair Clarkson lured him out of retirement in 2022.
Shiels ended his playing career with 288 games next to his name after playing in three premierships at Hawthorn during his 14 seasons at Waverley Park.

The Victorian has spent time working in recruiting across his first two years at the Kangaroos and was spotted at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine over the weekend.

Shiels was hoping to transition into the list management department when he took up the opportunity to extend his AFL career at North Melbourne.

KQHogiqc.jpg

Liam Shiels is pictured at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine on October 6, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos

Now the 2008 pick No.34 will join nation recruiting manager Will Thursfield and head of football talent Brady Rawlings on a full-time basis ahead of next month's Telstra AFL Draft.

North Melbourne holds pick No.2, 25, 43 and 61 after trading 67 to West Coast on the opening day of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period to land veteran key forward Jack Darling.

Shiels becomes the latest player to enter the recruiting space after Brisbane great Justin Leppitsch transitioned from coaching to list manager at Collingwood this year.

Hawthorn appointed four-time premiership great Jarryd Roughead as player acquisition manager at the start of the year.

Port Adelaide champion Robbie Gray joined the Power's recruiting team after calling time on his 271-game career in 2022. – Josh Gabelich

Just fwiw, most of the footwork had been done on Logue before Clarkson even joined the club. There was some hesitance when we didn't have a coach but once Clarko signed on he zoomed in with Logue and got it over the line.

Yeah, this article pretty much covered it...

It seemed pretty obvious he wasn't coming to us without Clarkson's intervention and that shouldn't be a huge surprise. I doubt Neale or Hodge would have gone to Brisbane if Fagan wasn't going there either.

He's popped up a bit on Midweek Tackle and I hate to say more often since Landsberger passed but he's come off a bit skeevy on there, can see him as the type that will try to have a point of difference of being obnoxious to cover his lack of knowledge.
Yep definitely has a floggish vibe about him.
Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

If we really want a late pick after the Parker dealings we can always move a F4/F5 into this year if we wanted someone.
I doubt we use anything outside 50 if we're planning to get more picks inside 25.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back