List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PicksClubsResult
Pick TradeBrisbane & RichmondRichmond receives Brisbane's 1R Pick (pick 20)
Brisbane receives Richmond's 2R (32,42), 3R (43,45) Picks
Pick TradeCarlton & BrisbaneCarlton receives Brisbane's R4 (73), 2025 R2 Pick
Brisbane receives Carlton's R2(34), R4(66)
Pick TradeCarlton & HawthornCarlton receives Hawthorn's R1(14) pick
Hawthorn receives Carlton's 2025 R1, R2 (tied to Carlton) picks

Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.

Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

They’re stupid for putting F1 alone on the table for a player that isn’t a star mid or a star key position player.

Clarkson in self preservation mode.
Clarko or not I think this was always bound to happen.

When we blew the joint up in 2020 the big risk to such a cull is that you become so uncompetitive for so long that you have to overpay for players to come across to get a winning culture back, because all those draft picks don't mean shit.

Not saying I agree with our tabling of first rounders but we've painted ourselves into the shittest of corners and rightly clubs are gonna try to take us for a ride.

The longer our performance continues like this the more likely it is we do something stupid during trade period.

Last edited:

When we blew the joint up in 2020 the big risk to such a cull is that you become so uncompetitive for so long that you have to overpay for players to come across to get a winning culture back, because all those draft picks don't mean shit.

Not saying I agree with our tabling of first rounders but we've painted ourselves into the shittest of corners and rightly clubs are gonna try to take us for a ride.

The longer our performance continues like this the more likely it is we do something stupid during trade period.
Culls and hard resets can and do work provided you retain the right senior players and that's where we failed abysmally.

Hopefully. It also suggests we don't see either CCJ or Teakle in our long-term plans. Personally I'd cut and payout CJ now. I don't see the point of keeping him on the list when he's likely to miss the start of the season and get delisted at the end of it.

Whatever you think of CJ’s future, it would be pretty filthy to do that to someone off the back of a 12 month injury.

The godees are ready to implode - all this off field stuff never ends well.
Think it will be a top 7 pick at the very least

Yeah, whatever is going on there isn't great, but there are some good KPP prospects we can get with 13 this year, would the same calibre be available next year at 7? The main reason it is hard getting first round picks this year is next year isn't rated that highly, we aren't getting a lot of interest in our future 1st which you would think is a top 4 pick.

Whatever you think of CJ’s future, it would be pretty filthy to do that to someone off the back of a 12 month injury.
It's a tough business, injuries wreck careers all the time. He has done pretty well from us and would still get paid and get rehab at the club if he wanted it. If we need the list spot, it should be an easy decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If port are wanting a pick in this draft for Houston and we are offering our f1 for next year does this mean we are having trouble splitting this years pick 2? I would have thought it best we split this years pick 2 and hand port one of those?
Nobody is taking pick 2 when the top 10 ata a minimum is fairly even

We are uncompetitive because we put out an anorexic midfield which gets monstered by bigger bodied mids, we have a lot of inconsistent do nothing forwards who don't pressure, mid sized defenders who are poor defenders and have shit kicking skills.

You don't need stars to fix these problems. Hawks were able to find cheap options to fill these roles. We just haven't valued the things which would make us more competitive in the short-term.

We have a lot of good young talent in and around the ball but they aren't physically capable of sustaining AFL level intensity consistently and we don't seem to have shown any kind of urgency to fast track physical strength and conditioning. We are just in the wrong weight division to be competitive in the present.

If Clarko was interested in self-preservation, he could have addressed these deficiencies without breaking the bank. My criticism is he has shown no sense of self preservation to actually do what is required to make us more competitive in the short-term, the complete opposite. He is pretty comfortable he can write his own ticket for as long as he wants.

And I was thinkin' to myself, this could be heaven or this could be hell

Welcome to the North Big Footy
Such a lonely place, such a lonely place
Such a lonely face
Plenty of threads at the North Big Footy
Especially this time of year, this time of year
You can find trade suggestions and pick swaps here

They're livin' it up at North Big Footy
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Post under your alibis
We are all prisoners here
Of our own device

Melbourne paid pick 27 and 35 last year to move from 14 to 11.

Dogs paid 10, 17 and future 1st for 4, 46, 51 and future 3rd from GC.

I think when you identify someone you really want and it seems like another club has interest in that player and will go before you can then if you think your list is in a good spot you can afford to pay a premium to ensure you get the player that you really want.

Picks really have different values depending on where your list is at imo.

For us, I am sure the player we pick at 2 will be a good player, but because we have so many holes in our list it is just more attractive to be able to look at a couple of prospects in a year where the top end of the draft seem relatively even.

However, I think a number of players are hard to judge because they have had interrupted seasons due to injuries. I am sure with the benefit of hindsight we will find that some players weren't rated accurately. If you have talent gurus that think they can account for disruptions particularly this year and they think a player in a few years will be a star then they can justify making those type of trades where at face value it seems that it is overs.
Thats a really good post Tas. Like what you say if a club really is keen on a particular player they will be willing to pay overs or what seems to be overs at the time a lot of times. I like a few on here thought it would be hard for us to split for pick 2 but now i really reckon it will happen.

Thats a really good post Tas. Like what you say if a club really is keen on a particular player they will be willing to pay overs or what seems to be overs at the time a lot of times. I like a few on here thought it would be hard for us to split for pick 2 but now i really reckon it will happen.

It might happen, i think as clubs finalise the talent post combine and get a good feel of who they want then things might happen. For clubs that just want any talent no matter which role or position type then they are less inclined to move in the order, it will be the clubs that really want one of the players in the draft and identify as a star of the future that will chase a pick they can more or less guarantee they will be available.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no trade during the trade period but might come live on draft night.

Not saying I disagree but which senior players should've we retained?
Not being tied to a precise timeframe, but players like Brown, Tarrant and Higgins to start with. All above average on field performers and culture setting players.

I get that there were contexts to all of them leaving and they weren't going to be around forever but good Clubs manage through that stuff all the time.

The cupboard was pretty bare after that.

It might happen, i think as clubs finalise the talent post combine and get a good feel of who they want then things might happen. For clubs that just want any talent no matter which role or position type then they are less inclined to move in the order, it will be the clubs that really want one of the players in the draft and identify as a star of the future that will chase a pick they can more or less guarantee they will be available.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no trade during the trade period but might come live on draft night.
Yeah trade night is probably when it will happen I keep hearing its such an even draft and clubs don't want to trade for pick 2 but in my opinion the top 5 are still along way ahead of the rest. Interested to hear from a Scout roos fantastic sooup and company for their thought as i might be just be over rating the top 5 but i don't think so.

Not being tied to a precise timeframe, but players like Brown, Tarrant and Higgins to start with. All above average on field performers and culture setting players.

I get that there were contexts to all of them leaving and they weren't going to be around forever but good Clubs manage through that stuff all the time.

The cupboard was pretty bare after that.
A bit like what Richmond are doing now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back