List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PicksClubsResult
Pick TradeBrisbane & RichmondRichmond receives Brisbane's 1R Pick (pick 20)
Brisbane receives Richmond's 2R (32,42), 3R (43,45) Picks
Pick TradeCarlton & BrisbaneCarlton receives Brisbane's R4 (73), 2025 R2 Pick
Brisbane receives Carlton's R2(34), R4(66)
Pick TradeCarlton & HawthornCarlton receives Hawthorn's R1(14) pick
Hawthorn receives Carlton's 2025 R1, R2 (tied to Carlton) picks

Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.

Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Last edited:

Looking back, the cliff we jumped off had less to do with removing players that were over the hill, and more to do with needlessly removing experienced gun players that could have helped lead/develop the next generation.
This. You need those blokes around.

JHF came to us and had to learn midfield craft from Jy Simpkin (who was still learning himself) and Jordan Russell ffs.

We went heavy on the midfield in the 2020 draft as well and gave them absolutely nothing to guide them.

We may prefer it, but from Melbourne's point or view it would be a needless trade and cost them an extra pick. 5 + F1 is exactly the trade Rawlings has been saying we have been looking for.
One minute, you're saying all future picks are devalued, and next, we should jump all over their f1. Which is it?

5, 13 v 2, 44 is roughly 80 points extra. Hardly paying 'overs'. 5, 13 would be a starting point in negotiations I would have thought.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One minute, you're saying all future picks are devalued, and next, we should jump all over their f1. Which is it?

5, 13 v 2, 44 is roughly 80 points extra. Hardly paying 'overs'. 5, 13 would be a starting point in negotiations I would have thought.

2 straight up for 5 and 13 is doing ourselves a little short but if we want to draft for need and not best available i think its possibly the best scenario we will find

Regardless, a pick that'll end up in the low 20s isn't enough to move up 4 spots at the top of the draft.
If the player you really want is going to be available at 6, then it's absolutely worth it. Its a free pick. It just depends if there are better offers.

Clarko or not I think this was always bound to happen.

When we blew the joint up in 2020 the big risk to such a cull is that you become so uncompetitive for so long that you have to overpay for players to come across to get a winning culture back, because all those draft picks don't mean shit.

Not saying I agree with our tabling of first rounders but we've painted ourselves into the shittest of corners and rightly clubs are gonna try to take us for a ride.

The longer our performance continues like this the more likely it is we do something stupid during trade period.
It's hardly stupid to bring in a dual AA with a future pick, but I get you point...

Looking back, the cliff we jumped off had less to do with removing players that were over the hill, and more to do with needlessly removing experienced gun players that could have helped lead/develop the next generation.
Possibly. I think we had a toxic situation off field as well and that certainly ****ed things up.

And a couple of things have contributed to where we are now that have nothing to do with that. TT having to go and Cunners getting crook, which meant we didn't have access to him off field as well as on field.

But there are a few we could have kept and there are also rumours that some of them wanted out. Maybe because of the hub, maybe cos they were from interstate and wanted to go home after covid.

I think we'd still need the likes of Parker and Darling cos our training standards have been an issue for a while. At least since 2016/17.

This. You need those blokes around.

JHF came to us and had to learn midfield craft from Jy Simpkin (who was still learning himself) and Jordan Russell ffs.

We went heavy on the midfield in the 2020 draft as well and gave them absolutely nothing to guide them.
I reckon Higgo was the only one who really understand midfield stuff that we let go.

Froggy the next year would spread from the contest like his life depended on it but that's about it (we could do with that now tho) and Jedly was a contested beast but not the greatest user and not in Higgo's class in terms of overall midfield class. Both of those things would be good right now but they're more along the lines of onfield work ethic than real midfield craft.

I think Cunners' illness hurt as much as anything on that front.

I propose making it end on a Friday before a long weekend. Then all the trades will magically be completed on the Thursday afternoon.
We need to get the PM to give us a mid October long weekend then, get it done Albo

2 straight up for 5 and 13 is doing ourselves a little short but if we want to draft for need and not best available i think its possibly the best scenario we will find
To the eye, it looks better than what the Eagles got for Pick 2 (picks 8 and 12) and this is supposed to be a cracking crop.

Now we aren't even being mentioned as a distant fourth option. Genuinely for the sake of both Rawlings and the club's dignity, pull our offer and move on. He's a great player and would be a wonderful get but is clearly not interested in playing for the club. Move on

No more "we're hoping to be involved". It's kind of sad

100% agree. We have the capacity to deliver the best offer, and the cap space to offer him whatever he wants, yet despite "He just wants to move to Victoria" there is absolutely no indication that he has even the slightest intention of coming to North. In fact, staying in South Australia seems more attractive to him.

Unless us and Houston are about the blindside the entire competition in a way that will be remembered forever, North even hoping to be involved comes across as really lame. Stop wasting time and get involved in profitable deals we can get done.
I get where you're both coming from, but the scenario presented by amaz199 is basically that he is happy to sign with us, he is just reluctant to announce any preferred destination until he's confident a deal is close. As long as Port are non-committal he will maintain his silence.
It's not like he's come out and said he wants Collingwood, either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Points don't mean shit unless you need points. No clubs in this scenario do. It's about what players will likely be available at those picks.
Points don't mean shit, but we hold pick 2, which Melbourne, Richmond, Adelaide, St Kilda, etc, may want for a particular player that won't be available to them without it.

We aren't moving down from 2 for 6, 18 lol You're in la la land...

5, 13 is possible, but I would push for 49 as well in that scenario.

If the player you really want is going to be available at 6, then it's absolutely worth it. Its a free pick. It just depends if there are better offers.
Nah, you have to account for the risk.

Say that we trade back to pick 6 because our player isn't expected to be drafted until pick 8. The team at pick 8 could want him enough that they then trade up to 5. Or a team earlier could change their mind.

You need to get enough back to cover the risk that you could be trading pick 2 and only drafting your 8th or 9th ranked player (with matched bids considered).

I don't think we needlessly removed all of the experienced gun players, and in particular, Tarrant. Tarrant had mentally checked out and wouldn't have been any use to the young players as he didn't want to be there. We had no option to retain him as he was out of contract and an unrestricted free agent.

Higgins wanted one last shot at playing in a premiership. He knocked back an offer to go to Geelong two years earlier so it was a case of now or never. Certainly, we could have offered him another two years and I imagine he would have honoured it. He is possibly the only one we could have retained.

Brown was an awkward situation. Having rejected an offer to become the highest paid player at the club and on the longest contract, he then saw his market value plummet due to injury. Concurrently, the Covid situation enforced the withdrawal of all contract offers under AFL directive. When negotiations reopened, we obviously weren't going to table the original offer, or increase the terms as his manager expected. In the end, he took the only offer from Melbourne, which I believe was for about half the money he would have been paid if he'd signed the original contract. I think we could have matched that and possibly kept him, but the relationship was damaged by circumstances.

Points don't mean shit, but we hold pick 2, which Melbourne, Richmond, Adelaide, St Kilda, etc, may want for a particular player that won't be available to them without it.

We aren't moving down from 2 for 6, 18 lol You're in la la land...

5, 13 is possible, but I would push for 49 as well in that scenario.

Exactly points mean bugger all in my opinion unless its for academy f-sons your doing it for

I get where you're both coming from, but the scenario presented by amaz199 is basically that he is happy to sign with us, he is just reluctant to announce any preferred destination until he's confident a deal is close. As long as Port are non-committal he will maintain his silence.
It's not like he's come out and said he wants Collingwood, either.
Spot on.

Houston just wants a job in Melbourne. He'll play for anyone assuming Port get a deal done with someone. Carlton initially had more interest than we did but have since opted to step back. Pies want to throw everything at Port to get him.

However, the price atm is too damn high. Even our future first is a reach but we're not entertaining the pick demands Port want from this year's draft.

Lots to play out, still. I won't get more info potentially until the work week leading up to Wednesday if there is anything happening. I was told we didn't like what Port were asking for obvious reasons.

I wasn't saying what we would prefer, I was talking about Melbourne's tactics and the rumour that they were after pick 2. This looks unlikely at the moment, as they wouldn't need to go after pick 13 first to get it.

Rawlings has already said that we would be happy to drop down two or three spots if we could get a future first. Knowing this, Melbourne could just make that trade directly and save themselves the extra pick 28 required to go via pick 13.

I wasn't saying what we would prefer, I was talking about Melbourne's tactics and the rumour that they were after pick 2. This looks unlikely at the moment, as they wouldn't need to go after pick 13 first to get it.

Rawlings has already said that we would be happy to drop down two or three spots if we could get a future first. Knowing this, Melbourne could just make that trade directly and save themselves the extra pick 28 required to go via pick 13.
Carlton want 2 for Owies 12/14 ha ha

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back