List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Daniel RioliRichmondTradeGold CoastGold Coast receive Richmond's Daniel Rioli, R4 (51,61,70,76) Picks
Richmond receive GC's R1(6), R2(23) Picks
Shai BoltonRichmondTradeFremantleFremantle receive Richmond's Shai Bolton, R1(14), 2025 R3 Pick.
Richmond receive Fremantle's R1(10,11,18) Picks
Harry SharpBrisbane & MelbourneTradeMelbourneMelbourne receives Brisbane's Harry Sharp, 2025 R3 pick (tied to Brisbane)
Brisbane receives Melbourne's 2024 R3(49), 2025 R3 pick (tied to Essendon).
Dan Houston
Jack Lukosius
Joe Richards
Rory Atkins
John Noble
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Collingwood
TradeCollingwood
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide receives GC's R1(13),GC R2(29,36), GC R3(50) Picks, Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards, Rory Atkins
Gold Coast receives Collingwood's 2025 F1, PA's 2025 F1, PA R2(39)
Collingwood receive Dan Houston, PA R4(58)
Matt Owies
Liam Baker
Carlton & RichmondTradeWest CoastRound 1 pick (3), Round 4 (63,68) to Carlton
Round 1 Pick (14) to Richmond
Round 1 Pick(12), R4 (73) to WCE
Liam Baker to WCE
Matt Owies to WCE
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Brisbane Lions trade Harry Sharp and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Brisbane) to Melbourne for its 2024 Round 3 pick (currently 49) and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Essendon).
-----------------
Collingwood get Houston and Pick 58 and give up: a future first round pick, Joe Richards to Port and John Noble to Gold Coast

Port get Jack Lukosius, Richards, Rory Atkins, picks 13, 29, 36 and 50 in this year’s draft while letting Houston go to Collingwood, their future first round pick, pick 39 in this year’s goes to Gold Coast and pick 58 goes to Collingwood.

Gold Coast get Noble, a future first round pick from each of Collingwood and Port Adelaide, and pick 39 (received from Port), while the Suns send Lukosius and Atkins, picks 13, 29 and 50 to Port Adelaide.
-------------
St Kilda trade its Round Two selection (currently 27) to the Brisbane Lions for its Round Two selection (currently 32) and its Round Three selection (currently 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
----------
Three club trade approved.Richmond trade Liam Baker to the West Coast Eagles.West Coast Eagles trade its Round One selection (currently 3) and both its Round Four selections (currently 63 and 68) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft to Carlton.
Carlton trade Matthew Owies, its Round One selection (currently 12) and its Round Four selection (currently 73) to West Coast Eagles. Carlton trade its Round One selection (currently 14 ) to Richmond.
----------
Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

Pick 2 would have leverage if we were gunning for one of the top mids.
we've announced to the world we ain't after mids, so teams know we want to trade it out.
we are our own worst enemy
Inner sanctum might have clubs eyeing off number 2. That might be the reason we come out publicly. Threaten us with shit returns and we’ll just grab the second best mid in the draft. No point beating round the bush ere

There is no way we get 6 and 11 for pick 2, the points difference is too great, it's over 550pts which is the equivalent of a late second round pick, Richmond would be stupid to even consider it unless we included a future first or second to get it over the line, and I would hope we aren't stupid enough to give away our future first.

Also, I don't think we have the leverage, we are the ones with only one pick in the first three rounds and are desperate to get a second first round pick, all the clubs know we have gone midfield heavy over the last 3 or 4 drafts and looking at KP talent this draft and it's probably too big a risk to take someone like an Armstrong, Trainor or whomever with the second pick.

If Richmond offer 6 and 18, I'd suggest we take it and try and use 18 and future pick to move up further if we fear a player we are targeting may get poached by another club.
Comparing points to picks to me is a useless exercise. If a club wants pick two they have to pay for it if they don’t want to pay we keep simples.

Yeah I'm struggling to see 6 and 11 being handed over for 2 at this point. Same goes for 5 and 9. If we want to split, we might just have to accept 6 and 18. Of course, we can hold onto 2 if there is no better offer and then take the player that we would have taken at 6 anyway. But that would be like throwing away pick 18.

So either we take FOS or Smith with 2, or we split for Armstrong or Tauru with 6 and then use 18 on best available when it comes around.

If someone is absolutely thirsting for FOS or Smith or Draper or whoever else, then great, we might do even better. But otherwise, everybody is relying on the same data that we are, which is that there is no Harley Reid or JHF at the top of this draft exciting a feeding frenzy. Teams with multiple first round picks have traded themselves into that position because they want to use multiple picks in this draft. Everyone is working on the same assumption that it's an even, deep draft, with no single player being worth two other players at least within the first dozen or so picks.

We're not giving up 2.

F1 for 6 and 23.

Giving us 2, 6 and 23. The Toigs subsequently 1, 10, 11, 18, 24, and a very high pick in 2025!

2 - Lalor
6 - Jagga Smith
23 - Trainor

There is no way we get 6 and 11 for pick 2, the points difference is too great, it's over 550pts which is the equivalent of a late second round pick, Richmond would be stupid to even consider it unless we included a future first or second to get it over the line, and I would hope we aren't stupid enough to give away our future first.

Also, I don't think we have the leverage, we are the ones with only one pick in the first three rounds and are desperate to get a second first round pick, all the clubs know we have gone midfield heavy over the last 3 or 4 drafts and looking at KP talent this draft and it's probably too big a risk to take someone like an Armstrong, Trainor or whomever with the second pick.

If Richmond offer 6 and 18, I'd suggest we take it and try and use 18 and future pick to move up further if we fear a player we are targeting may get poached by another club.

Points mean nothing now.

The Tigers will bite if they want to start their rebuild with a 1-2 punch in the midfield of their choosing. I would personally prefer to select the two mids rather than leave up to chance who is at 6. Yes they are all mids but they have different skill sets.

Smith is probably the interesting one and he might get to 6. I feel the Tigers would want the accumulator and the difference maker. So probably go Lalor then hope for Smith at 6. Or they could feel that accumulators are a little on the nose and go FOS as well to have their version of the Port midfield. If they want to guarantee it, they trade with us for 2.

I think 6 and 11 is a good deal with perhaps a F3 going back. 18 isn't enough of an incentive. Or they can look at the F1 as part of the deal and shift the picks around.

Points mean nothing now.

The Tigers will bite if they want to start their rebuild with a 1-2 punch in the midfield of their choosing. I would personally prefer to select the two mids rather than leave up to chance who is at 6. Yes they are all mids but they have different skill sets.

Smith is probably the interesting one and he might get to 6. I feel the Tigers would want the accumulator and the difference maker. So probably go Lalor then hope for Smith at 6. Or they could feel that accumulators are a little on the nose and go FOS as well to have their version of the Port midfield. If they want to guarantee it, they trade with us for 2.
top 4 will be Lalor,FOS,Smith,Draper in some order

they will likely have to settle for langford if they dont trade up

top 4 will be Lalor,FOS,Smith,Draper in some order

they will likely have to settle for langford if they dont trade up

They are my 4 as well.

I think Lalor is 1 and is a certainty
At Pick 2, we pick FOS or perhaps Draper, Tigers get it they will toss up between FOS and Smith;
Carlton want FOS at 3, if he isn't there, they might go Draper.
Crows at 4 want Draper, but if he is gone, not 100% sure the direction.

FOS is the player that drives a higher demand for our Pick 2. Tigers are obvious but don't be surprised if the Blues try to get 1 spot higher to lock him in. Problem is their draft hand is poor and could only offer Pick 38 and Brisbane's 2nd Rd 2025 as collateral unless they get creative in the next 3 weeks.

We may only have 1 pick, but we are also one of the clubs with more first round talent than most of them combined already on the list. We are the ones with a 3rd year Sheezel who was statistically the second best teenager to grace an AFL field in history this season. etc. We already have top end talent, game breakers (probably to the extent that aren't even in this draft) We can afford far more risk than they can.

One of your lines is one I keep reading frequently around the forums and it’s frustrating. “All the clubs know we have gone midfield heavy”.

Yeah, so? We still have depth to flesh out there, unless you don't think FOS on a wing opposite McKercher wouldn't have opposition coaches nervous in the coming years? We played Dylan Stephens and Liam Shiels at times on the wings last year. A McKercher & FOS wing combo is an absolute game changer in the coming years.

All the clubs also know we unearthed one of the best rucks in the comp last season.

We had Comben average the most intercept marks per game behind only Andrews and Taylor when in his first season in defence last season. He looked every bit an elite top line CHB all year.

Larkey 1 season removed from an AA jacket and a 70 goal season.

We took 2 x talls in the first round of last years draft also.

Talls are definately a list need, but we are nowhere near the position we were pre the 2023 draft with the seasons Xerri and Comben have just had. Both bailed out Brady, big time.

Ideally we take a KPF this year, but best available and best value still remains the priority. Whether it Lalor or FOS, both easily fit in nicely long term in our side.

Can Richmond afford to trade 4 of their senior players, take in 10,000 points to the draft and walk away with just Lalor and a maybe 1-2 other genuine mids who might in reality be 10-20 types in most drafts? Look at how Simpkin is attempting to now fit into a young (potentially elite) midfield group.

It wont be their only draft, but Lalor, Reid and Hynes is hardly Sheezel/Wardlaw/McKercher or adding Lombard to Rowell/Anderson etc is it?
But am I wrong about going Midfield heavy over the last few drafts? Phillips, Powell, Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher in the last three drafts suggest the answer is a solid no.

Whether you find it frustrating or not, most clubs are going to make the assumption (either rightly or wrongly) that we will prioritize KP talent ahead of midfield talent in this year's draft and therefore try and split pick 2 into at two later first round selections. Whether we get best possible value from our pick 2 will depend on how desperate a club (most likely Richmond) is to move up the draft and what they are willing to part with.

The trade I was commenting about (pick 2 for picks 6 and 11) is a fanciful trade that I can't see Richmond going for unless we include a future pick, preferably our second or third rounder.

If we do end using pick 2 and are willing to take a bit of a risk, I hope the risk would be more than just selecting FOS, who isn't a risk at all. I'm not against taking a player like FOS, Lalor or Draper if we go that way, it's just that all of our midfielders and wingers are around the same height, so if we are going to take a risk, I would hope we look outside the square a little and pick someone like a Smilie or Langford who would give our midfield some height and power to go along with our smaller brigade.

The only way we would be able to land 6 + 10 or 11 for pick 2 would be if we threw in our f2 with it. 6 + 10/11 for 2 + early to mid 20s pick comes out about the same in the draft point index.

But am I wrong about going Midfield heavy over the last few drafts? Phillips, Powell, Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher in the last three drafts suggest the answer is a solid no.

Whether you find it frustrating or not, most clubs are going to make the assumption (either rightly or wrongly) that we will prioritize KP talent ahead of midfield talent in this year's draft and therefore try and split pick 2 into at two later first round selections. Whether we get best possible value from our pick 2 will depend on how desperate a club (most likely Richmond) is to move up the draft and what they are willing to part with.

The trade I was commenting about (pick 2 for picks 6 and 11) is a fanciful trade that I can't see Richmond going for unless we include a future pick, preferably our second or third rounder.

If we do end using pick 2 and are willing to take a bit of a risk, I hope the risk would be more than just selecting FOS, who isn't a risk at all. I'm not against taking a player like FOS, Lalor or Draper if we go that way, it's just that all of our midfielders and wingers are around the same height, so if we are going to take a risk, I would hope we look outside the square a little and pick someone like a Smilie or Langford who would give our midfield some height and power to go along with our smaller brigade.

We need one more 2-way runner with speed and work-rate. Doesn't matter how many mids you have if they can't get you where you want to go.

They are my 4 as well.

I think Lalor is 1 and is a certainty
At Pick 2, we pick FOS or perhaps Draper, Tigers get it they will toss up between FOS and Smith;
Carlton want FOS at 3, if he isn't there, they might go Draper.
Crows at 4 want Draper, but if he is gone, not 100% sure the direction.

FOS is the player that drives a higher demand for our Pick 2. Tigers are obvious but don't be surprised if the Blues try to get 1 spot higher to lock him in. Problem is their draft hand is poor and could only offer Pick 38 and Brisbane's 2nd Rd 2025 as collateral unless they get creative in the next 3 weeks.

I think we need to be trying to make the world think we are taking either FOS or Draper. Anything that gets the Baggers or Crows to try to trade up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame Adelaide has basically the same draft hand as us. They've shown in the past they're willing to pay to trade up/in, if they had a pick in the 20s then there may be a deal there for Draper

I just had a quick lurk and several seemed to think 6 + 14 would have been about right and 6 + 18 would be a win for them - which I'd agree with. I think it depends on who the two teams think will be there at 6 and how many picks they want to take this year.

I'd guess at either

2, F2 for 6, 18, 20 or 10, 11, 24

The other less likely trading options are Melbourne, St Kilda and GWS. I doubt Melbourne or St Kilda would be interested and GWS are probably too far back. If Richmond won't play ball, would we consider something like 2, F2 for F1, 15, 16, 21?
2 + f2 would be about the same as 6 + 10 or 11 in the draft points index, so that’s where I see that landing, if the Tigers were to hand over 6 + 10 or 11. I feel like 6 + 18 would most likely be a straight swap for pick 2, with maybe an f4 thrown in as steak knives.

I’d be pretty surprised if we were willing to slide back further than pick 6, so that leaves Melbourne and Tigers as the only two teams who will potentially split pick 2 with us.

Well it is the most important and numbers heavy position on the ground.

Two of those names you mentioned spent over 50% of the minutes outside the middle also.

We are clearly prioritizing versatility at this point.

We also proved this season that we were a formidable clearance and contested side at times, that’s with a bunch of 19 year olds in there.

We don’t need clearance dominant mids, we need players who can run, use the footy and or play multiple roles and enable rotation with what we already have.

I.E Lalor rating forward with Sheezel/Duursma would be luxury few sides could dream of.

Or instead of throwing FOS to the wolves like others at the bottom might, we will be able to develop him like Brisbane did McCluggage. He’s one of the best kicks in the draft with one of the biggest engines and we certainly need more good kicks.

Smillie and Langford aren’t really in my consideration, I think they are terrible fits. We may as well have traded Powell last week if we are thinking of either…

Two of those names you mentioned spent over 50% of the minutes outside the middle also.

We also proved this season that we were a formidable clearance and contested side at times, that’s with a bunch of 19 year olds in there.

We don’t need clearance dominant mids, we need players who can run, use the footy and or play multiple roles and enable rotation with what we already have.

I.E Lalor rating forward with Sheezel/Duursma would be luxury few sides could dream of.

Or instead of throwing FOS to the wolves like others at the bottom might, we will be able to develop him like Brisbane did McCluggage. He’s one of the best kicks in the draft with one of the biggest engines and we certainly need more good kicks.

Smillie and Langford aren’t really in my consideration, I think they are terrible fits. We may as well have traded Powell last week if we are thinking of either…

I think Powell vs jagga means we don’t want jagga. Though as I’ve said I think he could develop as a small forward quite well.

But doesn’t Langford have lots of versatility? I think his game is prime to spend his first year off half back.

He’d be a strong interceptor.

Loves a dash and running bounce.

Kicks long

I think Powell vs jagga means we don’t want jagga. Though as I’ve said I think he could develop as a small forward quite well.

But doesn’t Langford have lots of versatility? I think his game is prime to spend his first year off half back.

He’d be a strong interceptor.

Loves a dash and running bounce.

Kicks long

Would be about as effective as playing Powell there imo.

He can go forward and has those attributes, but I don’t think that’s the versatility we are looking for personally.

Runners/Users and Mid/Fwds to rotate with Sheezel/Duursma imo.

The more im reading about FOS the more im coming round to him.

Yeah nah, you can count me out of FOS. Yes he's had some injury issues this season but his performances needed to be way better than what they were this year. Seems like he's not on the same trajectory as some of the others around him.

Yeah nah, you can count me out of FOS. Yes he's had some injury issues this season but his performances needed to be way better than what they were this year. Seems like he's not on the same trajectory as some of the others around him.
i think we have to understand that he is an impact per possession player and not an accumulator unless we play him behind the ball

The only way we would be able to land 6 + 10 or 11 for pick 2 would be if we threw in our f2 with it. 6 + 10/11 for 2 + early to mid 20s pick comes out about the same in the draft point index.
I think there is a good chance that Richmond will be keen to hold 6. They are at the start of a rebuild, and they should be looking to prioritise talls. 6 should get them their favourite. In their position, I think that would be more important than getting their second favourite mid. I'm not fussed if we drop back further, as long as we take a key forward and a small forward.

You're looking backwards calling out what they did last season, McKercher isn't spending his career as a halfback, he is being developed to become one of our future midfielders and you'd think Powell will also spend more time through the midfield as he continues to develop. Phillips, I'm not sure about him, but we did draft him to play in the midfield.

Cal Twomey ranked Langford at #2 in his last Phantom Guide, he can play midfield and forward, personally I wouldn't dismiss him as a potential selection.

Smillie (Twomey ranked him at #7) is less likely but his height and power is a point of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back