List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Daniel RioliRichmondTradeGold CoastGold Coast receive Richmond's Daniel Rioli, R4 (51,61,70,76) Picks
Richmond receive GC's R1(6), R2(23) Picks
Shai BoltonRichmondTradeFremantleFremantle receive Richmond's Shai Bolton, R1(14), 2025 R3 Pick.
Richmond receive Fremantle's R1(10,11,18) Picks
Harry SharpBrisbane & MelbourneTradeMelbourneMelbourne receives Brisbane's Harry Sharp, 2025 R3 pick (tied to Brisbane)
Brisbane receives Melbourne's 2024 R3(49), 2025 R3 pick (tied to Essendon).
Dan Houston
Jack Lukosius
Joe Richards
Rory Atkins
John Noble
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Collingwood
TradeCollingwood
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide receives GC's R1(13),GC R2(29,36), GC R3(50) Picks, Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards, Rory Atkins
Gold Coast receives Collingwood's 2025 F1, PA's 2025 F1, PA R2(39)
Collingwood receive Dan Houston, PA R4(58)
Matt Owies
Liam Baker
Carlton & RichmondTradeWest CoastRound 1 pick (3), Round 4 (63,68) to Carlton
Round 1 Pick (14) to Richmond
Round 1 Pick(12), R4 (73) to WCE
Liam Baker to WCE
Matt Owies to WCE
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Brisbane Lions trade Harry Sharp and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Brisbane) to Melbourne for its 2024 Round 3 pick (currently 49) and its 2025 Round 3 pick (tied to Essendon).
-----------------
Collingwood get Houston and Pick 58 and give up: a future first round pick, Joe Richards to Port and John Noble to Gold Coast

Port get Jack Lukosius, Richards, Rory Atkins, picks 13, 29, 36 and 50 in this year’s draft while letting Houston go to Collingwood, their future first round pick, pick 39 in this year’s goes to Gold Coast and pick 58 goes to Collingwood.

Gold Coast get Noble, a future first round pick from each of Collingwood and Port Adelaide, and pick 39 (received from Port), while the Suns send Lukosius and Atkins, picks 13, 29 and 50 to Port Adelaide.
-------------
St Kilda trade its Round Two selection (currently 27) to the Brisbane Lions for its Round Two selection (currently 32) and its Round Three selection (currently 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
----------
Three club trade approved.Richmond trade Liam Baker to the West Coast Eagles.West Coast Eagles trade its Round One selection (currently 3) and both its Round Four selections (currently 63 and 68) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft to Carlton.
Carlton trade Matthew Owies, its Round One selection (currently 12) and its Round Four selection (currently 73) to West Coast Eagles. Carlton trade its Round One selection (currently 14 ) to Richmond.
----------
Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

I think it comes from some coaches when the chips are down taking a big risk and letting a non mid run through there to shake things up, but they do so knowing that it's just as likely to make things worse as to make it better.

It's much easier and far less risky to teach your main midfield group a variety of different stoppage setups and roles that emphasise different players, to be deployed in different scenarios, with a shot-caller, than it is to throw new additional mids in there and teach surplus mids forward or backline craft AND those stoppage setups.
I agree. Curtis, Zurhaar, Goater, Duursma, McKercher, Simpkin should all be playing the majority of their games on flanks/wings but used in that 25% supplementary/rest time for our 4-5 mids.

What about that keep forward
Sure we need one.
But not to the point of taking a ridiculous deal.
For example 18 and 20 for 2 is not worth it just keep 2
Obviously.
We cant force a good deal.
Staying at 2 has merrit

Last edited:

Woke up this morning to go for a ride and discovered that not only did I have a flat tyre but some f..ker had stolen my good bike pump from the front porch. There is an old klepto who wanders the neighbourhood with a shopping trolley collecting pot plants and garden gnomes. I’m going to blame her for both the pump and our list management shambles and go on BF and have a whinge about it.

Having spent years drafting kids and being told that we know where we are at, we have now abandoned our long-term approach for some short-term pain relief to protect the reputations of the senior members of our football department. We suddenly need to bring in experience all over the field to help our kids. Well, if we knew where we were, why didn’t we need that this year? This year the game plan was as big a problem than the list. But look over here, these guys will help, like me they won premierships ten years ago.

The general strategy we’ve taken is exactly what I feared we would do. In short, we have kept the list cloggers and doubled down on retreads to further clog the list. I won’t post again the list of our recycled players from recent years, but that we continue to go down this path despite its complete lack of success infuriates me. We are going into the supposedly deepest draft in years, unfortunately we don’t have any list positions left despite getting to keep our extra rookie spots.

Coming out of the trade period with only pick 2 is bizarre. I know we could still split, we’ll see. But where we are now, it looks to me like we will continue to try and fill the biggest holes in our list with the smallest possible investment. We haven’t a top ten pick on a tall since Lachie Hansen – we’ve had ten in that time. We haven’t used a draft pick on a small forward since Corey Wagner.

By comparison to this year, next years draft is supposed to be weak. Unfortunately we have a massive pile of cloggers coming out of contract then. Several of these could have easily been cut this year: CCJ, Stevo, Pink, Bergman, we even re-signed archetypal list clogger Will Phillips.

Is there a long-term list management strategy in place or just a short-term fix? It doesn’t look like it.

Great work Brady Rawlings and team!

Overpay with Pick 25 on a player Beveridge clearly moved past when we could've used that pick to select a tall forward that Darling and Larkey could've mentored over the journey.

Now he'll attempt to used a future asset to further derail our 2025 Draft assets.

F@ck3n SEETHING!!:mad:
I think Daniel's impact will be far greater than people think - just my opinion.

Wouldn't get too hooked up on what Bevo did or didn't do. Good coach but he's spent all his tickets at the Dogs. He had all but given up on Lobb and dumb luck turned him into Ross Glendinning. He was also regularly criticised for moving Bont away from the action during critical stages of games.

Daniel, like Johannisen, fell down the pecking order behind the likes of Richards and Dale.

We don't have anyone of that calibre.

Last edited:
Yes id take that.
6, 18, 24 would be tempting also.
But im not going to lose sleep if we keep our current hand it is still decent.
Carlton traded pretty much everything they have for an identical hand to us.
Practically, this means Tauru, a small forward and another KPP.

Just get it done.

Woke up this morning to go for a ride and discovered that not only did I have a flat tyre but some f..ker had stolen my good bike pump from the front porch. There is an old klepto who wanders the neighbourhood with a shopping trolley collecting pot plants and garden gnomes. I’m going to blame her for both the pump and our list management shambles and go on BF and have a whinge about it.

Having spent years drafting kids and being told that we know where we are at, we have now abandoned our long-term approach for some short-term pain relief to protect the reputations of the senior members of our football department. We suddenly need to bring in experience all over the field to help our kids. Well, if we knew where we were, why didn’t we need that this year? This year the game plan was as big a problem than the list. But look over here, these guys will help, like me they won premierships ten years ago.

The general strategy we’ve taken is exactly what I feared we would do. In short, we have kept the list cloggers and doubled down on retreads to further clog the list. I won’t post again the list of our recycled players from recent years, but that we continue to go down this path despite its complete lack of success infuriates me. We are going into the supposedly deepest draft in years, unfortunately we don’t have any list positions left despite getting to keep our extra rookie spots.

Coming out of the trade period with only pick 2 is bizarre. I know we could still split, we’ll see. But where we are now, it looks to me like we will continue to try and fill the biggest holes in our list with the smallest possible investment. We haven’t a top ten pick on a tall since Lachie Hansen – we’ve had ten in that time. We haven’t used a draft pick on a small forward since Corey Wagner.

By comparison to this year, next years draft is supposed to be weak. Unfortunately we have a massive pile of cloggers coming out of contract then. Several of these could have easily been cut this year: CCJ, Stevo, Pink, Bergman, we even re-signed archetypal list clogger Will Phillips.

Is there a long-term list management strategy in place or just a short-term fix? It doesn’t look like it.
We've delisted five players you'd call list cloggers, six if you count Shiels. There's bound to be more to come.

We've delisted five players you'd call list cloggers, six if you count Shiels. There's bound to be more to come.
And we've brought in experienced players because our senior players are lacking at best.

And we've brought in experienced players because our senior players are lacking at best.
It's a no win situation.

Bring in 3 decorated, experienced players to fill gaping holes = abandoning our youth strategy. Never mind the roughly 20 kids we'll have in the 1-4 year cohort by the time drafting is done.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should take Tauru or Armstrong with our first pick, whatever it is, and commit to making them one of the best KPFs in the comp within five years.
Cmon ferball , we need more over dramatics mate, no simple logic…

I think at best if we traded pick 2 for 2 picks inside the top 15 I’d be happy with that as we won’t get 2 picks inside the top 10.
Also I’d be passing on the pick in the 60s recon we either get a DFA or go to PSD.
As for the following players Lazzaro,Drury and Harvey sorry fellers this is business we can’t afford carry any more players either on the list or as rookies.
Speaking of Rookies I don’t think River Stevens is not going to make so I be sceptical about Rookie him plus we already player similar to him in Payne which I have a ? Over him whether his going to make it.

There has to be just to comply with AFL rules. As a minimum we will be axing Cooper and Laz and pushing CJ to the rookie list to give us just three main list spots.
We started with one less on the senior list this year 37-7
Can go to 38-6 which I expect us to do

I expect us to keep one of coop, laz, Drury on the rookie list (ideally coop)

Gives us 3 spots which we can use

We started with one less on the senior list this year 37-7
Can go to 38-6 which I expect us to do

I expect us to keep one of coop, laz, Drury on the rookie list (ideally coop)

Gives us 3 spots which we can use
That is what I said. I was keeping Drury. Not because I want to particularly, but Clarko seems to like him, and he is Harry's mate and I would rather keep him happy.

That is what I said. I was keeping Drury. Not because I want to particularly, but Clarko seems to like him, and he is Harry's mate and I would rather keep him happy.
Yeah I’d rather keep cooper or even laz over Drury

Either of those better off getting a rookie spot before him imo

Gee there is a lot of angst here about the trading of Pick 25, which will probably move out further on the night. 44 however might well move closer as the father sons and academy bids are covered.

Now I understand that this is supposed to be a really good draft, but those two picks are still 25+ and 44-. So the probability of them being good long term players, is still lower, than the short term gains we will hopefully get from Daniels and Parker. And Darling who cost us next to nothing

As I said in an earlier post, this recruitment is to help build the experience gap while our recent draftees develop and become hardened footballers. Footballers who have played 50 to 100 games, when they are really going to improve our capacity to win more games than we lose. That's 3 years away and that's exactly the time frame that these players have been brought in to bridge the gap.

I have another left field view of this trading and that is that LDU becomes a free agent next year. It has been reported here and there and everywhere, and who knows what is true, but he is apparently waiting to see some improvement before he decides to re-sign or not. May that be part of the recruiting teams thought process, "Lets get some improvement and wins on the board in the short term, so that we have a better chance of retaining LDU"?. And for that matter, maybe attracting a very good free agent in the next year or two.

Last edited:
6+10 v 6+18+23

The first one is better deal but after drafted everyone is on an even keel.
Some players develop quicker than others
I bet we would prefer 6 and 10 and have a ssp player. Just to improve our demographics a bit.
Either is managable.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back