List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

honestly I would move both CCJ and Stephenson onto the rookie list.

I'm not 100% here, so happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I thought the covid-era rule that allowed clubs to move 2 players straight from the senior list to the rookie list was no longer in-place?

Either way, I'm not confident that's an option available to us.

Means he would have to get through the entire AFL National Draft without any club selecting him for us to rookie him. Do we think that's likely? I've seen some people speculate he's worth a 3rd round pick.
Yeah true. In which case we will have to take 2. Though maybe it’s a ploy to make it look like we aren’t desperate to offload pick 2

I'm not 100% here, so happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I thought the covid-era rule that allowed clubs to move 2 players straight from the senior list to the rookie list was no longer in-place?

Either way, I'm not confident that's an option available to us.
No longer exists. Delisting them means that they are open to everyone to take in the drafts.

Also, we have 3 spots left, 2 primary, 1 rookie.

No longer exists. Delisting them means that they are open to everyone to take in the drafts.

Yeah, that's as I thought. Also means we have to payout their entire remaining contracts. Not sure the club is super keen to do that, to be honest.

Also, we have 3 spots left, 2 primary, 1 rookie.

Yup, matches what I had.

Easy solution.

Pay out Stephenson and free up the spot he’s wasting. The list spot is far more valuable than the money that is owed to him and the input he’ll provide over the next 12 months.

Stephenson is not on a small contract. Paying it out would be a significant financial hit.

I believe that it’s still a real possibility that Stevenson does not play next year. Genuinely in the undecided stage.
If you are not sure by now my view is North should make the call now and offer a severance and move on.

Stephenson is not on a small contract. Paying it out would be a significant financial hit.
There’s absolutely no way we’d be anywhere near maxing out the salary cap. Even with the senior additions. It’s not a significant hit if we are still paying just above the cap floor. Unless it was back ended, which would be absolute madness if we agreed to that back then.

not a single club would take them and their salaries.

not one.

and if they did it would merely mean that the cap room is made available and we frontload someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s absolutely no way we’d be anywhere near maxing out the salary cap. Even with the senior additions. It’s not a significant hit if we are still paying the cap floor.

Sure but I don't think anyone at the club wants the negative attention that would come with the territory of paying out the contract of a high-profile player despite the club languishing at the bottom of the ladder for the last 4 years.

not a single club would take them and their salaries.

not one.

and if they did it would merely mean that the cap room is made available and we frontload someone else.

If we delist them, their contracts are paid out as part of that process.

Any other club signing them would be negotiating a new contract with them.

We can't delist them to rookie them on their existing contracts.

(This is my understanding of the system but if I'm incorrect, I'm happy to be informed of where I'm mistaken!)

Sure but I don't think anyone at the club wants the negative attention that would come with the territory of paying out the contract of a high-profile player despite the club languishing at the bottom of the ladder for the last 4 years.
I’d rather improve the list than care about what a few media types think.

If he’s getting senior games next year we haven’t moved forward anyway.

If we delist them, their contracts are paid out as part of that process.

Any other club signing them would be negotiating a new contract with them.

We can't delist them to rookie them on their existing contracts.

(This is my understanding of the system but if I'm incorrect, I'm happy to be informed of where I'm mistaken!)
yuck

I'm not really sure of the machinations. It's still money we have to spend that could go elsewhere no?
If his contract was evened out over the course of the deal, he would be owed a further 500k for next season. We will be paying that regardless. What’s a draftee take 100-200k base payment?, is it really that much of a hit?

If his contract was evened out over the course of the deal, he would be owed a further 500k for next season. We will be paying that regardless. What’s a draftee take 100-200k base payment?, is it really that much of a hit?
Depends where they are drafted re draftee's I think....first round is more like 300K I think.

Anyway as I said, it's a truckload of money to essentially throw away. You'd hope if we are delisting/retiring/removing Sleevo he's agreed with it and we get a lot/large portion of the cash back

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back