List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Curtis is a hybrid small/medium. He doesn't mind roving but his pressure is sporadic. His i50 tackle numbers look like that because literally no one else in our f50 tackles. The others are totally unproven. RHJ has a glimmer, but that's it. There's a bit on Konstanty's shoulders there, and he was about to be delisted after failing to crack a(n albeit good) senior team in two years, so my hopes for him are not limitless, though I think he'll bring a defensive edge.

Dawson is a defender, and I think anyone who knows anything can see that. Maley, who knows, he apparently still needs to round out aspects of his game. If he can, we'll be in a good spot.

And I know you don't need a top 10 pick in all positions, but surely it makes sense to give yourself the best possible shot at filling your list needs. And what better way to do that, when anchored to the bottom of the ladder, than to use your picks for it?

Point is, if we want improvement now, and we really, really do (the time for 'oh yeah they've got good young kids, it'll come together' is over), we need to find someone who can fill these roles now, and if we'd found a key forward in one of the last three drafts, instead of looking in the op shop donation bins, then we might well have that. I'm sure that was part of the thinking behind Darling, but Jesus Christ, the more I think about it, the more I think he'll look like a meds-deprived geriatric out there.

Genuinely could be worth reaching for a key forward at pick 2, as you say. Because if Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw, Parker, Simpkin, Powell and whoever else can't work it out between themselves in the middle, without having another another top 5 mid stacked on top of them, then what ****ing hope have we?
If Dawson develops as a defender it frees Comben up to be the key forward and solves that forward issue, so it's relevant to include him.

And our small forward options might be unproven, but so would whichever small forward we take in this draft.

It would be nice to have 2 or 3 picks but we're not stuck in a corner where we absolutely have to. And we definitely don't need to do bad trades including our F1 to do it.

Can we sticky to the top of this thread that our F1 pick will most like be pick 2,3 or 4. It will help remind people when proposing these pick swaps that don’t advantage us at all.
our F1 pick will most like be pick 2,3 or 4
the dude your opinion GIF

Can we sticky to the top of this thread that our F1 pick will most like be pick 2,3 or 4. It will help remind people when proposing these pick swaps that don’t advantage us at all.
Or anyone proposing an F1 for peanuts should be required to answer the question, would you like one marshmallow now, or two tomorrow morning? But I think we already know the answer.

Curtis is a hybrid small/medium. He doesn't mind roving but his pressure is sporadic. His i50 tackle numbers look like that because literally no one else in our f50 tackles. The others are totally unproven. RHJ has a glimmer, but that's it. There's a bit on Konstanty's shoulders there, and he was about to be delisted after failing to crack a(n albeit good) senior team in two years, so my hopes for him are not limitless, though I think he'll bring a defensive edge.

Dawson is a defender, and I think anyone who knows anything can see that. Maley, who knows, he apparently still needs to round out aspects of his game. If he can, we'll be in a good spot.

And I know you don't need a top 10 pick in all positions, but surely it makes sense to give yourself the best possible shot at filling your list needs. And what better way to do that, when anchored to the bottom of the ladder, than to use your picks for it?

Point is, if we want improvement now, and we really, really do (the time for 'oh yeah they've got good young kids, it'll come together' is over), we need to find someone who can fill these roles now, and if we'd found a key forward in one of the last three drafts, instead of looking in the op shop donation bins, then we might well have that. I'm sure that was part of the thinking behind Darling, but Jesus Christ, the more I think about it, the more I think he'll look like a meds-deprived geriatric out there.

Genuinely could be worth reaching for a key forward at pick 2, as you say. Because if Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw, Parker, Simpkin, Powell and whoever else can't work it out between themselves in the middle, without having another another top 5 mid stacked on top of them, then what ****ing hope have we?
Assuming parker plays alot of time around the forward flank there is still a spot for genuine class in that midfield.

A lot of posters suggesting any trade for pick 2 won't happen until the night, I find this unlikely. Live trades like this are rare. I'm not sure why this year would be so different unless people think teams would trade up for FOS but not Lalor (or the other way around).
100%. If Richmond wants 1 & 2, why would they wait until the night? It only creates unnecessary uncertainty for them.

And the idea of fielding phone calls and creating some kind of auction in the two minutes before our bid is fanciful.

The on-the-night trades seem to work when clubs are waiting to see if certain players are still available. Even then they have all been discussed in advance. I don’t think this scenario applies with pick two. If we hold it on the night, we’ll be using it.

100%. If Richmond wants 1 & 2, why would they wait until the night? It only creates unnecessary uncertainty for them.

And the idea of fielding phone calls and creating some kind of auction in the two minutes before our bid is fanciful.

The on-the-night trades seem to work when clubs are waiting to see if certain players are still available. Even then they have all been discussed in advance. I don’t think this scenario applies with pick two. If we hold it on the night, we’ll be using it.
For sure, it makes no sense for Richmond to wait until the night. But there could be an agreement in place with another club that if Richmond takes player X, then that club might offer a trade for pick 2 so that they can get player Y.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure, it makes no sense for Richmond to wait until the night. But there could be an agreement in place with another club that if Richmond takes player X, then that club might offer a trade for pick 2 so that they can get player Y.
Granted. But for all the faux tension the AFL tries to build, it’s pretty rare that pick one isn’t known in advance. I suppose that the race is more open than normal this year, but I’d still be surprised.

If Dawson develops as a defender it frees Comben up to be the key forward and solves that forward issue, so it's relevant to include him.

And our small forward options might be unproven, but so would whichever small forward we take in this draft.

It would be nice to have 2 or 3 picks but we're not stuck in a corner where we absolutely have to. And we definitely don't need to do bad trades including our F1 to do it.
True. But then Comben becomes the second option without a safety harness attached to him. Hopefully this year has been the circuit breaker he needs. There's something a little mystical at play with injury-prone players. They get stuck in a rut because it just seems like things aren't going to align for them, but often a good solid run of games can often help them shed the label

Can you explain the corner? We can just draft pick 2. We don't need to trade. 9 top 30 picks over 3 drafts is enough.
well its not really because firstly high picks can still be bust, think jisberts, toumpas, etc... additionally we probably have just 18 AFL standard players on the list, 2 or 3 injuries and we are still playing blokes that wont get us into a position of being competitive in a final, think lmac etc...

carrying passengers like sleevo and ccj , stopgaps like pink, teakle and kal dawson added to unknowns like bergman, goater, maley, will dawson etc...

some people genuinely cannot fathom just how bad the list was a few years ago, and we are a fair way yet from being a contender. i reckon another 6 quality players minimum and thats assuming we dont lose any of our current crop that make the grade.

Last edited:
well its not really because firstly high picks can still be bust, think jisberts, toumpas, etc... additionally we probably have just 18 AFL standard players on the list, 2 or 3 injuries and we are still playing blokes that wont get us into a position of being competitive in a final, think lmac etc...

carrying passengers like sleevo and ccj , stopgaps like pink, teakle and kal dawson added to unknowns like bergman, goater, maley, will dawson etc...

some people genuinely cannot fathom just how bad the list was a few years ago, and we are a fair way yet from being a contender. i reckon another 6 quality players minimum and thats assuming we dont lose any of our current crop that make the grade.
The other thing too is, with FA there is a good chance of later on plugging holes with quality

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back