List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Want? I don't think so. The club is run by garden gnomes with a pathological fear of tall people. We will go to any lengths to avoid drafting talls. It's been easy till now, we have been selling this 'best available' schtick for years, but this year we finally couldn't avoid it. We had a second-round pick sitting right in the middle of a pile of talls. We didn't panic though, we traded it for a midget, and the crisis was averted.
Yep get darling to work with larkey then we’ve also got ccj , pink and maley

I find it interesting seeing these fringe players in their off season travel snaps.

I get you need time away from footy. I get you’re young and want to travel.

But this is literally your last preseason to make an impact. Surely you just forgo one boys trip overseas and spend that time in the gym with the hope you can make something of yourself.

Seems bizarre to me.
Some of them are actually doing that, not that I completely disagree with you. I still think our issue has been more skill execution related than fitness. The fitness part is always going to be a debate when you're playing young/elder players, which we're right in the middle of. But, I still think with less turnovers and less having to clean up previous f-ups we'll look a lot fitter. I guess it's an attitudinal thing because I'm a bit the same way, I'd be training my arse off, but everyone does things differently. We'll find out soon enough.

Unfortunetly our current list build most looks like Port. We will have elite mids and strong half bakcs and half forwards.

Our next ferw drafts will determine if we fill out those KPP stocks. Port never addressed and attempted to trade in those players and still suffer for it - BZT, Rat and Aliir. Their young KPF stocks failed or to injured. FWIW im not sure Hawks arent the same but because they are fun to play with got Battle and Barras also got lucky with Deer.

A lot of posters suggesting any trade for pick 2 won't happen until the night, I find this unlikely. Live trades like this are rare. I'm not sure why this year would be so different unless people think teams would trade up for FOS but not Lalor (or the other way around).
It wouldn't surpise me that the AFL will tell both clubs to keep it under wraps until trade night and use the shot clock as bit of theatre to boost ratings etc.
We don't need a top 10 pick at every position. Developing players into roles is a key aspect of building a great side.

We have Curtis, RHJ, Konstanty, Payne and Harvey who play small forward roles.

We have Comben, Dawson and Maley who are developing into KPP roles. We'd like another one but not to the point that we need to make bad trades.

I'd draft a KPP at pick 2 before I would make a bad trade.
Quite right on the developing part as l think this is where we've been lacking in the last ten years....to turn some of these 3rd rounders and mid-season draftees into at least solid role players to maybe a star.
Is it a cultural thing or a club philosophy because it's no coincidence that Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn are perennially successful clubs...maybe their footy department isn't soley focus on the here and now but also place an importance on the future?

How about pick 6 for our 2 and we swap F1s. Would make for a very interesting 2025 season! Who would say no first?
How about we take Armstrong or Tauru at 2 and develop them into a fantastic forward and one of the best players in the comp over the next five seasons?

If that's our plan and someone wants us to change it then they need to convince us to change it by offering overs.

Want? I don't think so. The club is run by garden gnomes with a pathological fear of tall people. We will go to any lengths to avoid drafting talls. It's been easy till now, we have been selling this 'best available' schtick for years, but this year we finally couldn't avoid it. We had a second-round pick sitting right in the middle of a pile of talls. We didn't panic though, we traded it for a midget, and the crisis was averted.

Harsh we have got them via delisted free agency, the mid-season draft and the rookie draft. Surprisingly the cohort isn't particular good.

How about we take Armstrong or Tauru at 2 and develop them into a fantastic forward and one of the best players in the comp over the next five seasons?

If that's our plan and someone wants us to change it then they need to convince us to change it by offering overs.
So picking either at 2 instead of 6 and having another first rounder in 18 is a good idea?

Hello, if GWS Made an offer for your 2025r1, what would it take?
Something like F1,62 for 16,37,2025r2?
I doubt either club goes for it. Just wondering though.
Put down the crack pipe, mate.

15, 16, 21 wouldn't even get it done, let alone what you have suggested.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why Langford over guys like Armstrong?

I’m biased here. If there was a Jed Walter in this years draft, I can totally see the need to use a high pick on these types.

In Langford (or smillie for that matter) you’ve got players who are the same size or a few cm shorter than Armstrong, and both physically more advanced and have the genetic structure to be bigger units.

They both have good kicking and can shrug off opponents. And both have a dynamic none of our current mids have, even goal kicking ability.

There is every chance we’ll be able to get more out of these two types in terms of development, in 1-2 years compared to forwards right?

Unless the forward, again, is in the King’s or Walter mould, and less the Aaron Black - I feel like we’re letting a massive opportunity go on instant impact and development.

Comben, Darling, Larkey, CCJ (yes I know), Teakle and Duursma all suggest we have some hit up options that could develop and hold the fort for another year.

Can see us asking for 6 and 11 for 2 but ending up with 6 and 18. Which ends up 200 odd points more for Richmond. In all honesty don't think it's that bad considering the even top crop and the fact we don't necessarily need any of them and are more interested in Tarau. The risk obvs being of Melbourne take tarau or if they go for shanahan/ Armstrong.

6 and 18 we'd end up with one of tarau/ shanahan and possibly Whitlock or another tall around then. Maybe even trainor. Not that bad

6 and 18 might be an even trade under the current points system but with the new points system coming into effect next season (Because the current one has been identified as being flawed), 6 and 11 would be a fair trade on points.

6 and 18 might be an even trade under the current points system but with the new points system coming into effect next season (Because the current one has been identified as being flawed), 6 and 11 would be a fair trade on points.
these scenarios are endless, and everyone has a take on what to do, and fair enough.

Personally, I'd prefer trading our F1 for something like 10 this year and an F2, and keep 2 this year.

Points have nothing to do with it. If we're taking a forward and the best deal we can get is 6 and 18 then of course we'll take it. Armstrong or the Viking will be there at 6 and we get another crack at 18, which could turn out to be a very good player. We get no value out of picking either at 2.

Points have nothing to do with it. If we're taking a forward and the best deal we can get is 6 and 18 then of course we'll take it. Armstrong or the Viking will be there at 6 and we get another crack at 18, which could turn out to be a very good player. We get no value out of picking either at 2.
I think it just comes down to what gives us the best competitive advantage.

If we're confident our #1 target will last to pick 6, and the best we can do is add an extra pick 18, that incremental improvement to our list is still giving us a better competitive advantage than just taking the one bite of the cherry with pick 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back