List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at Mitchell’s recruiting strategy over the last few years. He’s targeted players to play to his game plan.

Compare that with ours…

“Experience, experience, experience”. Experience ain’t a silver bullet unfortunately.

How about defining a way we want to play and recruit players accordingly.
It's because they already had the experience there and even a couple of premiership players. Our leadership is Luke ****ing McDonald....

I know this is not a popular opinion but I didn't get the Liam Shiels thing. Great bloke but how many times did he feature in our best players? I'm betting not once. Assistant coach sure. Player - not for me.
I don’t think Shiels was recruited to get in our best players every week. Watch the last quarter of the WCE game we won and then ask yourself if we’d have won that if Shiels wasn’t out there.

Sheez has spoken publicly about how his leadership and direction has helped him so much. Would Harry be our best player if Shiels wasn’t working with him behind the scenes?

Having Darling work up the ground as a CHF would improve the following dramatically:

- control of the ball across HF and wing, leading to better inside 50 entries. So much of our utter shitness over the last 3 years has come from not being able to clear from defensive fifty. Any player we bring across (cheaply) that can help us move the ball is worth it in my opinion, especially as we should be bringing in a couple of KPFs to learn from him.

- flow on effect of defensive match-ups. Given proper medical checks and fitness, he can be a real handful still with his lead/mark game. He would draw the second defender. Teakle, Duursma and Zurhaar all benefit as they play on smaller/lesser defenders. Not to mention, the benefit for Larkey who needs conditions just so to take advantage.

HF: Duursma Darling Curtis
F: Zurhaar Larkey (F.Pocket)
I:Teakle

The above forward line probably (with the addition of a speedy, defensive crumber will massively stretch defences.

I reckon we were targeting tex too and he was waiting to see if he was offered an ext, assuming that's now 2 yrs for Tex which is what we were going in with, same with Darling. We offering one more than current, then no doubt be going after one or 2 kpf in the draft. Darling or someone similar will give them chance to develop before being thrown in. I don't mind it. Darling alone isn't the solution, but Darling coupled with one or two draftees is a sound solution. Also wouldn't mind Day too and then they can cover each other. Pink isn't a fwd, and hopefully teakle develops and provides competition with cj for that ruckfwd spot. Although maybe neither are up to it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree, darling is the interim plug-in for 2 years for us to find/develop another 2 key forwards.

What about matured draftees for that key forward like ben brown, im sure there are enough out there.

Generally, you want to draft your key pos players 3 years ahead of the mids.

Having Darling work up the ground as a CHF would improve the following dramatically:

- control of the ball across HF and wing, leading to better inside 50 entries. So much of our utter shitness over the last 3 years has come from not being able to clear from defensive fifty. Any player we bring across (cheaply) that can help us move the ball is worth it in my opinion, especially as we should be bringing in a couple of KPFs to learn from him.

- flow on effect of defensive match-ups. Given proper medical checks and fitness, he can be a real handful still with his lead/mark game. He would draw the second defender. Teakle, Duursma and Zurhaar all benefit as they play on smaller/lesser defenders. Not to mention, the benefit for Larkey who needs conditions just so to take advantage.

The above forward line probably (with the addition of a speedy, defensive crumber will massively stretch defences.

Viola

It's because they already had the experience there and even a couple of premiership players. Our leadership is Luke ****ing McDonald....
No it isn't. We weren't beaten by twenty goals because of Sicily and Gunston. Hawthorn don't have any players in their team who can't run. They play four small forwards who run up and down the ground all game. We don't have any on our list. They kick to space and run onto the ball, we either chip kick or handball through congestion. Lack of experience is being used as an excuse for lack of a relevant game plan and poor list management.

Does anyone seriously look at Hawthorn and think that the reason they are going so well this year is their experienced players? If so, they probably haven't watched them play. They completely ran us off our legs. We don't have players who can run fast enough for long enough. We need speed and endurance. Recruiting old blokes is only going to slow us down and give our opponents someone else to run off.

That's a developmental and whole team coordination issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you watched Darling the last few years?…. Will not add to our ball movement.
If he wasn’t playing for the Eagles he wouldn’t be on a list

What everyone is saying, is the problem the club has.

Jack Darling isn't going to offer much to North. He doesn't offer much to West Coast. But many of you have said that he is about all we can get right now. So what!? I'd rather us launch for a big fish or go heavy on keys in the draft, than take another player who is likely to clog a list and not help propel us up the ladder. This is the issue. We keep putting stock in players that aren't very good because we believe we aren't worthy of a good player. And thusly, we keep the list at a pile of crap.

Realistically, no one player can come in and change the fabric of the club, unless it was Bontempelli. But the only thing Darling could potentially offer, is someone to drag an opponent away from Larkey. Which we have, Teakle, Maley, Comben, and Pink can all do already. We need to stop taking shitmen and start thinking better of ourselves.

Would prefer to see Jack get to 300 at WCE(from a sentimental viewpoint) but probably a good bit of business between the 2 clubs if he's open to moving.

Bloke is durable and an elite trainer.

Obviously winding down from his younger lofty heights but you won't get someone half-arsing their way for a paycheck from him. He's a competitor.
Can’t mark, applies zero forward pressures, but hey, he’s an elite trainer… let’s put good money into him

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back