List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree all you like, mate, but defensive pressure allows everything else you just typed, not speed. It's a furphy.

Daicos and Sheezel are different players. One is not more dangerous than the other imo... Put Daicos in our midfield and see how he goes when he has to get his own ball consistently.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Defensive pressure literally has nothing to do with anything in my view of the Hawks. It does certainly play a part in their success but not that paragraph. And speed is a big part of providing elite defensive pressure. Take speed away from Cyril and you would have a guy desperately trying to influence a game and rack up pressures but not rack of tackles and turnovers.

And Sheezel plays according to his ability, he can’t run like Daicos so of course he won’t play the same. He does an exceptional job with what he has.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Newcombe would 💯 make a difference.
Maybe but you hear the constant whinging about too many mids... at the time of that draft we had Anderson, LDU, JZ, Cunners, Jy, Dumont, Tyson, TT, Turner, Phillips, Lazzaro and Powell as midfielders and were odds on to draft JHF.

Yeah it had nothing to do with experienced players like Gunston (33), Sicily (29), Frost (31), Amon (29), Scrimshaw (26), Worpel (25), Breust (33), Impey (29), Hardwick (27), Nash (26), Morrison (25), Moore (25), Chol (27), Meek (26).
If we had this many older guys prepared to commit to the sort of pressure we showed after the bye we'd have won more games after the bye too.

Yeah it had nothing to do with experienced players like Gunston (33), Sicily (29), Frost (31), Amon (29), Scrimshaw (26), Worpel (25), Breust (33), Impey (29), Hardwick (27), Nash (26), Morrison (25), Moore (25), Chol (27), Meek (26).
One of the great misnomers is that the Hawks are a young team.

14 of their 23 over 25.

Allows the younger blokes to take on less taxing roles.

Exactly. They win enough loose contested ball, have excellent drive off half back, cut teams up in transition amd have the capacity to mop up loose balls in the forward half. We tried to implement the transition game earlier in the season, didn't have the skills to execute and got reamed on the rebound. We need to get fitter through the middle and develop a more functional and pressure applying forward line

Impey, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Sicily, even Amon are responsible for alot of that. Takes the pressure off someone like Weddle.

That’s misleading when you have most of your mature guys playing and not the kids
Its not misleading. You misunderstand what I'm saying.

Have a look at the list of their players over 26 and what they do. Compare it to the five players over 26 on our list this past season.

Even the second least experienced team than us has shitloads more maturity in their side than we do and they do the heavy lifting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put Sicily , scrimshaw , Amon ,Hardwick into our defence and you’ll see the difference they would make
Youth can only do so much when there isn’t a senior core performing
Yep - young players can only keep up those levels of pressure for so long then they're cooked.

It takes time to develop the fitness base to keep it up. Remember how everyone said LDU was unable to apply pressure? Its only been the last couple of seasons (was 23 at the start of last year, is 25 years of age now) that he's been fit enough to maintain that level of intensity. X is the same. Its not just leg fitness. Its the fitness for repeat wrestling and fighting for the ball/position as well as the running.

So who do we compare ourselves with then? If the answer is nobody then what are we even in this ****ing league for?

I don't want to watch Richmond and West Coast shoot past us in 2 years time while we still hear the same old "well we can't compare our rebuild to theirs for x,y,z reason"
My point is that Hawthorn (with the help of already having and recruiting experience) have left us in the dust.

They have just convincingly won a final and are now in the top 7 teams.

Is Hawthorn the Freo of 2022...hot football team, won their first final, bowed out and then spent 2023 being worked out and soul searching? Or is this sustainable in 2025?
They will be good next year

Barrass and battle in, allowing Sicily and Weddle to be more attacking

Lewis in for chol

Their only area I’m not sold on is the midfield. Its solid but still think it lacks star power

They will be good next year

Barrass and battle in, allowing Sicily and Weddle to be more attacking

Lewis in for chol

Their only area I’m not sold on is the midfield. Its solid but still think it lacks star power
Their fixture should be much harder, but we all know ours will be instead...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

My point is that Hawthorn (with the help of already having and recruiting experience) have left us in the dust.

They have just convincingly won a final and are now in the top 7 teams.

and a lot of very good young kids that will pick up the slack once the oldies retire
What ones are better than our kids Harry George Colby Zane and company.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back